Any UK students?

Options
maria0elisa
maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
As MFP seems to be dominated by older Americans with kids.... any younger brits out there?!
I know from my first couple years that it's SO hard to combine student life with losing/maintaining weight but so happy I've now discovered MFP as a great tool to guard against putting on too much!

Replies

• HauntedNemophilist
    Options
    Yep! I'm 18 and hopefully starting uni next year, so I'll have more control over what I eat and how much exercise I can do!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    Yep! I'm 18 and hopefully starting uni next year, so I'll have more control over what I eat and how much exercise I can do!
    oh hey, great! You looking forward to it? Yeah it is nice to have your own routine and to get to eat what you want without parents being nosy ha.

However, the summer after A levels and when I first started uni I kind of lost weight the unhealthy way by skipping meals and exercising every day, which wasn't sustainable!
    I ended up putting it all back on again in 2nd year!
    So that's why I like the balanced mfp strategy nowadays ;)
  • KSwana
    KSwana Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 19 and studying in London, I definitely think my eating habits and workouts have improved since moving away from home (surprisingly!). It's nice to see other UK students on MFP too :smile:
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 studying at UOB right now - yeah watching how you eat is definately hard when you see everyone else binging on virtually everything
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 but am doing a Masters degree full time
  • JKew
    JKew Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've just left Durham Uni, but still think of myself as a student! Now studying Sport and Exercise Nutrition part time!
  • MzTeequal
    MzTeequal Posts: 13 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm 24 (for another 34 days!), trainee barrister :smile:
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    well done reaching out to the Brits - uni is a time when some people don't eat particularly well (I've a son and daughter both at university) so its great to see someone making an effort to contact fellow UK members. Good luck with the weight loss everyone (and the studies....!)
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    krhn wrote: »
    I'm 21 studying at UOB right now - yeah watching how you eat is definately hard when you see everyone else binging on virtually everything
    first78 wrote: »
    I'm 36 but am doing a Masters degree full time
    hey you two, sorry only just seen your replies! i'll add you:)
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    MzTeequal wrote: »
    I'm 24 (for another 34 days!), trainee barrister :smile:

hey!! oh great i'll add you :) Wow must be so hard to think about healthy eating with such a stressful career, so big kudos to you for being on here! I'm thinking about law as a possible path after graduating but yeah, I'm worried about the high-stress lifestyle!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    0067808 wrote: »
    well done reaching out to the Brits - uni is a time when some people don't eat particularly well (I've a son and daughter both at university) so its great to see someone making an effort to contact fellow UK members. Good luck with the weight loss everyone (and the studies....!)
    aw thanks very much that's kind of you to say. Yeah, I totally agree... I'm kind of torn because on one hand, uni is the time to have fun & cut loose, and I although i gained some weight, I had an amazing couple of years partying & trying new things.... but on the other I think it's a shame that uni encourages kind of institutionalised bad habits with regard to food & alcohol and you're kind of set off on the wrong foot with freshers' week which makes you think that kind of crazy lifestyle is normal. I actually began to miss the routine of going to school after a while ;)
  • TishTash1616
    TishTash1616 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 20 and I'm starting my nursing degree in September. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is trying to maintain my weight loss and healthy eating while doing 37.5 hours a week + self study! Add me if you like :)
  • savouryduck
    savouryduck Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be young to be a full-time student you know! :/
  • Darren261
    Darren261 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yeah 18 at college studying public servies (waste of time haha) and training/preparing to join the royal marines should have starting basic this month but been put back due to a slight knee injury unfortunately.