New FitBit Flex User doubting accuracy

Options
amadalia
amadalia Posts: 8
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Today was the first day I wore my new FB all day. I'm seriously doubting the accuracy. As a total novice and new user I can't believe I've walked over 11,000 steps. Becaus it's synced to MFP it automatically adds calories back in for the day. ????

Has anyone else seen this too?

How do I get it to be more accurate?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why don't you think you walked that many steps?

Some arm movements can add steps and if your pushing a cart/stroller or holding your arm still it will miss steps. This however is something that happens with all wrist worn trackers.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    When you set up your Fitbit, it has to guesstimate your burn since midnight. So your first day's burn is always a mess. And I get 2,000 steps just doing laundry.

The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks then reevaluate your progress. I eat back my adjustments, lost the weight, and have maintained for seven months. So my Fitbit burn is my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), aka my maintenance calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    amadalia wrote: »
    Today was the first day I wore my new FB all day. I'm seriously doubting the accuracy. As a total novice and new user I can't believe I've walked over 11,000 steps. Becaus it's synced to MFP it automatically adds calories back in for the day. ????

Has anyone else seen this too?

How do I get it to be more accurate?

I'm very curious what your basis is that it's inaccurate?
  • faust2112
    faust2112 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First day for me as well, thanks for the info regarding the midday mixup. I also use MFP and am curious to see how the tracker affects my caloric balance, can't wait til the weather is nice enough to go for a proper bike ride!
  • hep275
    hep275 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not overly concerned about the accuracy of the step count but I am trying to walk more every day and my step count, whether accurate or not, does reflect that. I have lost 1stone (14lbs) since 5th jan so I know something is working for me. Try it for a couple of weeks and if you want, you can measure your stride so it should be a bit more accurate.
  • DawnPodojil
    DawnPodojil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I first got mine I was curious about the step tracking. So I went for a walk around the block and counted the number of steps in my head. When I got home I synced the fitbit and found it was surprisingly accurate. Experiment with it. Take it for a test ride and see if the steps match what shows on your screen.

Another thing to consider is what your set up your daily activity level to be. This will determine how many calories it adds back in to your day. I do an exercise class before work which front loads about 5,500 steps in my day. Then I sit all day at the office with no chance to get up so mine is marked sedentary (even though I work out in the morning). If you are walking around all day you may actually be getting 11,000 steps in.

As others have said, let it do it's thing for a week or two and then go back and look at the results.
  • faust2112
    Options
    I'm not just questioning the step accuracy, but the calories burned also.
    Last time I rode my bicycle and logged that route using mapmyride I traveled just under 14 miles in about an hour registering 1113 kCal burned. Flex is telling me I'm burning more than that sitting around in my recliner doing schoolwork, laundry, and going for one walk around the block. I know there is a positive burn happening while I'm awake and the time cycle makes a little bit here and there add up, but 1725 midday through a low impact day vs one hour of rigorous cycling? When I was peaking for activity and weight loss, even 2000+ burned added to roughly 1400 eaten netted me about 1-2 lbs per week lost. I'm still only in my second flex day, but I can't figure how or at what point my physical activity level will have any impact on my calorie allowance.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    faust2112 wrote: »
    I'm not just questioning the step accuracy, but the calories burned also.
    Last time I rode my bicycle and logged that route using mapmyride I traveled just under 14 miles in about an hour registering 1113 kCal burned. Flex is telling me I'm burning more than that sitting around in my recliner doing schoolwork, laundry, and going for one walk around the block. I know there is a positive burn happening while I'm awake and the time cycle makes a little bit here and there add up, but 1725 midday through a low impact day vs one hour of rigorous cycling? When I was peaking for activity and weight loss, even 2000+ burned added to roughly 1400 eaten netted me about 1-2 lbs per week lost. I'm still only in my second flex day, but I can't figure how or at what point my physical activity level will have any impact on my calorie allowance.

The Flex is not designed for bike riding. You will get some weird results there. Flex works by detecting your body motion for walking. I can see how a bike would confuse it.
  • heybales
    Options
    Yes, your basic metabolism burns more than you are aware.

It's the biggest burner of the day, you'd be hard pressed to match it unless you start doing endurance cardio. And likely take 2 hrs to hit it then.

And unless you are very heavy, that calorie burn from MMR for 14 mph for 1 hr is way off too. Now, from your Fitbit burn at midday, it must be higher, but still.
    14 mph you don't even start hitting the point that wind resistance becomes the major factor for increased energy use.
    Unless you had tons of hills that MMR actually incorporated in the math, which I've rarely found a site that does.

Might compare MMR with this.
    http://www.bikecalculator.com/
  • faust2112
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    And unless you are very heavy, that calorie burn from MMR for 14 mph for 1 hr is way off too. Now, from your Fitbit burn at midday, it must be higher, but still.
    14 mph you don't even start hitting the point that wind resistance becomes the major factor for increased energy use.
    Unless you had tons of hills that MMR actually incorporated in the math, which I've rarely found a site that does.

Way too technical for me, I'm far too lazy to try adding all that together. I just want some apps that sync well together and do all of my calorie counting and exercise measuring for me, is that too much to ask?

• DawnPodojil
    DawnPodojil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here is an explanation from the Fitbit website. If that doesn't help, or you are still concerned with the results, I would suggest picking up the phone and talking to someone at their customer service line. They may be able to help you answer some of your questions better than we can. (877) 623-4997 M-F 4am-8pm // Sa,Su 6am-5pm (PT)

How does Fitbit know how many calories I've burned?
    Your tracker and dashboard show an estimated number of calories burned based on your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), which we calculate using the height, weight, age, and gender information that you provided when you set up your Fitbit account. If your tracker measures heart rate, the calorie burn estimate also takes heart rate into account. Note that calorie tracking for the following day begins at midnight and incorporates the calories you burn while sleeping.

When you sync your tracker, Fitbit replaces your estimated calorie burn with your tracker's data. If you manually log activities, the calories burned by during those activities are taken into account as well.

When you haven't synced your device or logged any activities, Fitbit tries to guess how many calories you have burned if you got out of bed, got dressed, went to your day job, came home, and did nothing much more than walk to your car.

Once you start logging activities, Fitbit stops estimating and uses the data you've provided instead. The more you wear your tracker, the more accurate your calorie burn data will be.

• heybales
    Options
    faust2112 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

Way too technical for me, I'm far too lazy to try adding all that together. I just want some apps that sync well together and do all of my calorie counting and exercise measuring for me, is that too much to ask?

Sadly, yes - no such thing exists yet. Just a fact that while many activities may have pretty good estimates - your device has no idea you are doing those activities.
    - It does well enough between running and walking, with some limitations like inclines it knows nothing about.

HRM can be most accurate for steady-state cardio - but it inflates calorie burn for anaerobic non-steady state like lifting and intervals.

Steps can be very accurate if distance is right for running and walking, intervals included, but it'll be badly underestimated for lifting.

So you won't find your perfect world yet, best you can get is just manually logging minimal things.