Do you lift?

Options
kristinegift
kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
Long distance runners! You're all some fine, fit people, and my question is: do you lift? If so, what do you do and how did you get started?

Now that I'm on my second round on marathon training, I want to do some more dedicated strength training/possibly lifting to be all-around stronger, because I know that will have benefits for my running. And since I have access to a super legit (free!) gym at my university, I figure I might as well give it a try. The last time I did any strength training in a weight room was six years ago when I did cross-country as a college freshman, so I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I lift... my *kitten* to the couch after a long run :)
  • kristinegift
    Options
    I lift... my *kitten* to the couch after a long run :)

Me too! And sometimes the fork carrying my post-long run meal to my mouth does get pretty heavy... ;)

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I wish I could stick up with it... I just can't when I run more than 40mpw. And I hate it. All I wanna do is run.

I know it's bad.... :neutral_face:
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Start off with like lunges, squats & youtube the "myrtle stregnth routine".. Don't ise weights at first.. Seriously lol.. Start slow. DOMS could make you not want to run. I lift 2x a week. I lift heavy weights now and don't get DOMS as bad anymore.. Don't over do it when you start! Gradually add stuff. I like to do a lot of body weight stuff (pull ups, pushups, lunges, squats, ploy metrics, planks, mt climbers, dips, Burpees, jump squats). Idk I try to use free weights and bodyqeights over the machines. But machines are good too.

Just try messing around with some :-)
  • kristinegift
    Options
    vcphil wrote: »
    Start off with like lunges, squats & youtube the "myrtle stregnth routine".. Don't ise weights at first.. Seriously lol.. Start slow. DOMS could make you not want to run. I lift 2x a week. I lift heavy weights now and don't get DOMS as bad anymore.. Don't over do it when you start! Gradually add stuff. I like to do a lot of body weight stuff (pull ups, pushups, lunges, squats, ploy metrics, planks, mt climbers, dips, Burpees, jump squats). Idk I try to use free weights and bodyqeights over the machines. But machines are good too.

Just try messing around with some :-)

I'll look up that strength routine! I already do pushups, lunges and squats, and planks (though less regularly than I ought to...), as I strongly prefer body weight stuff as well. Thanks for the tips!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Last half cycle, I used Stronglifts. This time I'm using ICF 5x5.
    I don't follow the weight progression the programs dictate due to my running.
    I do that Mondays & Thursdays since thats the strength day in the Hal Intermediate half plan

ETA: I have to lift. I slacked off on it over the summer and my knees hated me. By squatting - front & back with bodyweight warm ups - my body likes me a lot better. I have/had PFS in both knees. And not squatting made them angry.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have done the NROLFW and P90X programs 2-3 days/wk while training, but I have noticed, as others have mentioned, the more miles I add to my weekly routine, the harder it is to stick with a lifting program. I try to focus on strength training when I am not in a training plan and do as much as I can when I am. At a minimum, I always make room for some strength based yoga though. It greatly helps my performance.
  • samrunsfast
    samrunsfast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to do stronglifts 5x5 but now I do my own program to train for olympic lifts. I train with the barbell on Thursdays and Saturdays. I used to do so much more lifting but now that the runs take up so much time and energy, I choose to focus on the running :) I still prefer the lifting though!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    vcphil wrote: »
    I like to do a lot of body weight stuff (pull ups, pushups, lunges, squats, ploy metrics, planks, mt climbers, dips, Burpees, jump squats). Idk I try to use free weights and bodyqeights over the machines.

The fitness class I got to a couple of times a week is mostly things like this. I use 10lb handweights for most of the "lifting" we do in the class which is really meant to define muscles you got in the weight room.

PSA: both times I have gotten injured were during periods when I didn't go to this class for a few weeks.

• a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I used to do NROLFW but quit around Stage 3 each time because the workouts got fiddly and tedious. That said, I still love the book because it completely changed my view of weight lifting. I'm currently doing Stronglifts - nice and simple program, although the guy who wrote the website is a pretty big dudebro and sometimes his writing reads like the inside of a guy's gym bag might smell.

My fastest races have been run during periods where I've been strength training. Also, I like how it makes me feel. :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I used to do NROLFW but quit around Stage 3 each time because the workouts got fiddly and tedious. That said, I still love the book because it completely changed my view of weight lifting. I'm currently doing Stronglifts - nice and simple program, although the guy who wrote the website is a pretty big dudebro and sometimes his writing reads like the inside of a guy's gym bag might smell.

My fastest races have been run during periods where I've been strength training. Also, I like how it makes me feel. :)

lol I love you.
    I hate Medhi, he's such a douche.
    And I lasted til the end of Stage 1 for NROLFW due to the fiddliness
  • a_stronger_steph
    Options
    lol I love you.
    I hate Medhi, he's such a douche.
    And I lasted til the end of Stage 1 for NROLFW due to the fiddliness
    '

I recall stumbling on some article on the Stronglifts website that was something along the lines of "So you want your girlfriend to lift?" and I threw up a bit in my mouth. He's said somewhere that he writes the way he does because "96% of my audience are guys who want to get huge." Yeah, well, maybe you'd have a more diverse audience if you weren't such a bag of dicks. Aaaaanyways. I'm just glad I've never paid him any money!

I loved Stage 1 of NROLFW. It all went downhill from there. When I saw that "YWCA" or whatever that move is in Stage 2 or 3, that was the end. ;)

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Last half cycle, I used Stronglifts. This time I'm using ICF 5x5.
    I don't follow the weight progression the programs dictate due to my running.
    I do that Mondays & Thursdays since thats the strength day in the Hal Intermediate half plan

I do almost exactly this. I follow a 5x5 program, but with a slower progression than SL5x5. I'm following a template similar to Hal Higdon's Intermediate half, but with more miles and trail running in there.
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my second marathon and lift 3 times a week. I currently follow a program by Nia Shanks (my third by her) and I love it. My workouts focus on bigger lifts like squats, deadlifts, push-ups, chin-ups, etc and usually take about 45 minutes. I have done NROL4W in the past, but quit as the stages progressed. The workouts get too long (1hour 15minutes+ with cutting corners) and were leaving me pretty exhausted. I could only lift twice a week with that program.

I would highly recommend checking out Nia Shanks' site. She has a great beginning strength program available for free that would help get you started. Here's a link to it: http://www.niashanks.com/womens-beginner-strength-training-guide/
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I lift about three times per week. One is in a class at my gym which is Body Pump so the weight is not that crazy heavy. I also workout with my trainer and she has me doing weights as well. I do a lot of deadlifts, lunges, squats w/bar and that hamstring machine (I don't know what that is called).
  • k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know how people find the time to do both. Perhaps I'm just not as dedicated as the average runner. I considered implementing lifting into my run schedule and after the 1st workout I could barely move for the next three days, let alone finish out 20+ more miles. Side note, I also play volleyball one - two times per week which also makes it hard for me to balance lifting and running. My trainer doesn't understand the concept of "easing into it." I'm trying to avoid him this week, but it's been nearly impossible :wink: Last week I didn't lift and managed 35 miles 3 weeks in to HM training. This week I'm at 20 with a goal of 39. Tonight is volleyball, followed by lifting and tomorrow more volleyball and more running. Right now I'm not sure how to balance the lifting while still getting the miles in, those are my priority.
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know how people find the time to do both. Perhaps I'm just not as dedicated as the average runner. I considered implementing lifting into my run schedule and after the 1st workout I could barely move for the next three days, let alone finish out 20+ more miles. Side note, I also play volleyball one - two times per week which also makes it hard for me to balance lifting and running. My trainer doesn't understand the concept of "easing into it." I'm trying to avoid him this week, but it's been nearly impossible :wink: Last week I didn't lift and managed 35 miles 3 weeks in to HM training. This week I'm at 20 with a goal of 39. Tonight is volleyball, followed by lifting and tomorrow more volleyball and more running. Right now I'm not sure how to balance the lifting while still getting the miles in, those are my priority.

It can be really challenging to get started with lifting initially because of the soreness. However, the soreness will go down with time. There are also ways to help reduce the soreness when you first started. For instance, if you are starting a program that calls for 4 sets of each lift, then start out only doing 2 sets for a few weeks. Once you are accustomed to that, add in a 3rd set and then add the 4th once you adjust to 3. Additionally, lifting more often will help with the soreness because you're body adjusts to that workload.

I definitely understand the timing challenge though. I currently run 30-35 mpw and that will only be increasing as I get closer to my marathon. I think I'm able to maintain this volume of training because I built lifting into my routine when my mileage was lower and it's just normal for me now. Perhaps try working with your trainer to develop a bodyweight only routine that you could do in 20 minutes or so a few times a week at home? This could help you begin building it into your routine without adding too much extra time. It could even help reduce the soreness.
  • a_stronger_steph
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's true, the soreness does mostly go away once you're lifting more often! I rarely get too sore to run anymore. :) I know I run far less than the average long distance runner on here - usually around or a bit under 30 miles per week. (ETA: I tend to do better with fewer miles and more cross-training, though, I've discovered over the years.)

I'm lucky because I'm a grad student with no kids, so I just have more time to work out, in general. Truly, I don't know how people with more rigid schedules and busier family lives manage it all!!
  • kristinegift
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! Looking things up and making some rudimentary plans will be great procrastination this weekend to avoid my massive seminar readings! ;)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I lift 2-3 times a week and run 4 days a week. I use a modified version of StrongLifts currently. I do it in a 3x5 format now and have one day focused on legs and the other two days (or one day if being lazy) on upper body.

I've only trained for halves, no marathons yet, but learned for me, I have to slow the progression way down. I currently will spend weeks at the same weight on the various lifts before upping it. Helps me make sure I have form nailed down.