Tempeh anyone?

Options
isalo1300
isalo1300 Posts: 28 Member
So I was at the grocery store the other day to pick up some more tofu and I saw they also stocked some tempeh! Because I love cooking I thought I'd pick it up even though I have no idea how to cook it or use it :(. Any suggestions?

Replies

• juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate tempeh slices in some soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and spices and then roast in a pan. Perfect as a protein source in asian dishes.
    Sometimes I also crumble tempeh, roast it in oil and use it as veggie bolognese.

Tempeh has quite a nutty flavour to it, just experiment a little bit. The downside to tempeh is that it's easily perishable. If you can see "colourful" (red, purple, orange) shades of mold, throw it away.
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love tempeh!! I first steam it for 10-15 minutes, cut it in triangles or strips and marinate it in homemade sauce (similar to a bbq sauce) - when ready to eat, I pan fry it until golden brown/crispy. Some people omit the steaming step above, but I have not tried that. You could also coat it in a dry rub and pan fry it or bake it.... eat it with a salad, quinoa, rice, pasta, etc
  • daletheriot72
    daletheriot72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat tempeh almost every morning. I cut it into cubes and toss it in bragg's and nutritional yeast. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Yum!
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    It can also make a nice crumble in a salad. I'm not huge on it, but if I throw it in a salad with a hummus-citrus dressing it cuts the distinct taste down a bit.
  • RockGutCharlie
    RockGutCharlie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The steam then pan fry with seasoning option is easy and infinitely variable with different seasonings. I cube up a package, add to a saucepan with a bit of water (quarter cup?) and put the lid on, then cook covered a few mins. I then uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the water is gone. When dry, I add a bit of coconut oil (2 tsp or so) and some spices - whatever I'm in the mood for - then stir to distribute seasoning and brown the tempeh a bit. 10 mins start to finish, and it's good on/in/with pretty much anything.
    - Love the baked with braggs and yeast idea above. Will definitely try that.