when does the weightless slow or stop?

Options
lbrown1428
lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
I'm 5 month post op and just wondering when the weight loss usually slows down or stops? I'm 5 ft and currently 158-159lbs, but would like to lose more. I workout and obviously eat healthy, just wondering when it typically slows? TIA

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You know it's really individual. I hit my first stall at 9 months out and that's when it slowed for me. It's been very slow ever since and right now I'm stalled again, have been since September. But I'm also 3.5 years out and have lost about 75% of my excess weight, so I can expect these last 60 pounds to be really hard to get off.
  • lbrown1428
    Options
    Okay, thanks! I'm really hoping to drop another 30 at least. I'm stepping up my exercising so I'm hoping I can make it :) I was about 215 pre-op and 230's-240's ar my heaviest.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You sound like me, I've been working on losing my weight since surgery back in July. Now I've got about 20 pounds left to go. The pounds seem to be coming off harder, I've been exercising a lot too and hoping that that makes a difference. Although, I know adding muscle adds weight. so maybe I'm trading fat for muscle. I hope that's the way it is anyway, otherwise I'm stalled at 190.

Randy
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    For me, it slowed down just after a year. I am about 20lbs from where I would like to be, and it seems like I hit a wall, hard. I am still pushing on though, trying different things, and seeing what will work. My surgeon said there might be a point where my body just won't lose any more, this could be it.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    lbrown1428 wrote: »
    I'm 5 month post op and just wondering when the weight loss usually slows down or stops? I'm 5 ft and currently 158-159lbs, but would like to lose more. I workout and obviously eat healthy, just wondering when it typically slows? TIA
    it will slow the closer you are to the caloric intake for that wt at that ht and activity level. unfortunately that is the cruel truth. I am 5'5" 45 and sedentary. I aim for my BMR of 1360 per day because that allows about 300-400 of blow over cals to maintain my 146-150 wt. if I eat 2000 cals a day I will gain wt.

• Mangopickle
    Options
    i am happy at size 4. if i want to be size 2 i would have to stick to 1200 cal permanently to allow for some blow over and i don't want to.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm there now- I'm about 20lbs from goal and a year out- and really see the slow down. It's good if I loose 5-7lbs a month at this point. I went from 325 to 195 now.
  • lbrown1428
    Options
    Okay, I'm really hoping I can do it and lose at least 30 lbs. I do weight lifting and cardiovascular so I think it will pay off hopefully. My weight hasn't stalled yet I have been losing 8-10 lbs monthly every month.
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    lbrown1428 wrote: »
    it will slow the closer you are to the caloric intake for that wt at that ht and activity level. unfortunately that is the cruel truth. I am 5'5" 45 and sedentary. I aim for my BMR of 1360 per day because that allows about 300-400 of blow over cals to maintain my 146-150 wt. if I eat 2000 cals a day I will gain wt.

Do you have a BMR calc that you like, I have used 3 different sites and they all come up with different numbers. I am almost 8 months out and weight loss has come to a hault. The recent calculator I used said my BMR is 1522.80 with another being 1833-just to maintain my current weight. Doesn't sound right to me. Anyone? I usually hit 1000-1200 calories a day sometimes only 800-900 and I run 6 miles a week. I don't think I am done?
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    And I am hungry.
  • pawoodhull
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good question nkac. I've never figured out my BMR at all and would like to.

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I stalled out for a while, losing is slow for me as being over 60 it just is. I have lost 98 pounds, I talked to my nutritionist and she said to add a fruit before working out and get my calories to 1000, as my body just thinks it is in starvation. I did and boom, I lost. Also, I am doing weight training along with my cardio and I see the muscle definition. I have 20 pounds to go and the nutritionist told me to keep doing what I am doing as far as exercise. She said that the body will soon give in if I don't.

I am losing about 4 pounds a month on average now. And yes it is harder, but not impossible. Keep up the work and you should lose.

• lbrown1428
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I haven't checked my bmr just bmi. I will have to do that.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Mine just says BMR calculator, but I think it is thru Fitness magazine. You might try 3 or 4 and choose the lowest. Weigh your food, any halt greater than 7-10 days is an intake problem , especially if you are exercising. I had to buckle and weigh and measure my food-eyeballing it was way off. I never ever ate back any exercise calories. make sure you are getting your protein and fat and avoiding grains/potato. I always have to remind myself that the difference between my BMR at 257 (1860) and my BMR at 150 (1360) is ONLY FREAKING 500 CALORIES. All I have to do to be obese again is add a large fry to my diet everyday. I never lost wt well if I ate over 950 calories-maybe 2 lbs a month. I lost best at 800 cals a day.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I also lost the best at 800 cal a day- but I just can't do that on a daily basis. I'm hungry, dizzy and tired when I try to keep it that low.
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    And my nut told me 800 a day was too low and had stalled me, put me in starvation mode. Go figure.