Gastric Sleeve Newbie

Options
hi all, I've just undergone surgery in the UK four days ago to have the Gastric Sleeve done, Ive finally managed to keep liquids down today 2 x slim fast shakes and 1 slim a soup, I'm looking for any tips for me or recommendations for other liquids, interested in speaking with people who have just had the procedure to share worries and tips. thanks

Replies

• mfpdevotee
    mfpdevotee Posts: 48
    edited January 2015
    Options
    congrats on your surgery! my surgery was on dec 16th. for the first 2 weeks my program had me drinking protein shakes and water... and for fun i had sugar free popsicles. all programs and people vary.. but that was my first 2 weeks post op!
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 15 weeks post op, but I remember those first 8 weeks very well. I lived on sugar free Popsicles and Raman noodle broth for the first four weeks after being hospitalized in week two for dehydration. I couldn't keep anything else from coming back up. Plus, everything tasted different - protein shakes that I lived on pre-op tasted terrible. My doctor told me to drink whatever stayed down and that fluids were more important the first few weeks vs. protein. Just remember that your 4 ounce sleeve is actually only about 2 ounce right now because of swelling. So drink little bits all day long.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm 3.5 years out. In the beginning I couldn't stomach the shakes, too thick and too sweet. I lived on Unjury chicken and beef broth and Isopure Zero flavored water. It's a protein water, 40 grams per bottle, and counts for your water and your protein. Break it up into 1/2 or 1/3 at a time though as your body won't absorb 40 grams of protein all at once.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I made my own broth soups. like coconut curry chicken. After the first week I threw canned soups in the blender and passed them thru a sieve into a little more broth. I loved whizzed up gumbo.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I made a lot of home made soups and whizzed early on to remove the chunks. As for protein, I found that the Syntrax Nectar product that mix with water went down easier than anything milky early on. Now I start the day with a scoop of whey shaken into my coffee with a dash of cinamon for a protein "latte".