Any low-carbers here?

DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
I just started reducing my carb intake and am noticing a decrease in how much I pump on my lunch break at work, but I'm not sure how much is due to the change in my diet and how much is due to other factors such as my baby not nursing as often while I'm home (he's 5-1/2 months and starting to enjoy solids and to sleep longer at night). I'm also not convinced that he's getting less--maybe it's just the pump (except it's a fairly new pump). Anyway, I'd like to see if any other breastfeeding moms are doing a low carb way of eating and if it's had an effect on their milk supply. I do account for the extra calories, and my current calorie goal is a little over 1400 plus I add 300 calories to that for breastfeeding.

Replies

• Jd1120
    Jd1120 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm at the end of breastfeeding my 15 month old but I've done low carb off and on the whole time without it affecting my supply. How much of a decrease are you seeing? It could be due to slight dehydration from your body starting to rid itself of the extra water weight as you cut down your carbs.
  • DianaElena76
    I used to get 2-3 ounces from each breast, but now I'm only getting 2-3 total. It's only been this week that it's been so low (and it's my second week on low-carb). I have noticed that with this way of eating I tend to eat fewer calories over all, though, so maybe that's it? I'm increasing the water intake and adding Motherlove More Milk Plus capsules to my supplements, so hopefully I'll see some improvement soon! Thanks for the feedback--it's nice to know others have done this successfully. :smile:
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Keep us Posted if that helps
  • DianaElena76
    Yup, it sure did! I got 6 oz the day after I posted. I had downed a gallon or more of water the previous day and taken the supplements according to the label. Of course over the weekend I don't pump so I have no way of measuring, but I did find it necessary to give Little Man a bottle before bed both nights, as he just didn't seem satisfied. I also didn't drink enough water or take the supplements over the weekend. :neutral_face:
  • dessiepenn
    Good to know!!! I hope it continues to help.
  • DianaElena76
    The downhill slide continues. I get about an ounce more pumping if I've had tons of water and the Motherlove herbal supplements, but Little Man just isn't satisfied anymore. I tried to tell myself maybe he was fussy at the breast because he is teething, but nope--no teeth coming that I can see or feel. I think I'm going to just throw in the towel. I'll finish up my bottle of supplements and try the fennel essential oil, but I don't think I'm going to pump anymore. I'll just try to keep it up so he can nurse in the morning and evening. *sigh* I'm sad but not heartbroken. I just want my little guy to be happy and healthy, you know? If it's not through breastmilk, he will still continue to flourish on formula and solids. Two of his three sisters quit breastfeeding before his age and are none the worse for it.
  • dessiepenn
    Maybe up your calories to 2000. What are you trying to keep your carbs at?
    You do what you feel is best for your little man. I quite pumping when my daughter was 9 months but nursed her at home until she was year old, at which time I was 4 months pregnant with my second, so the only reason I stopped then was my nipples were sore and my milk must have been changing some because she was not as interested.