If you upgraded from the One to the Charge/Charge HR stop by here :)

Options
WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
and tell me your thoughts.

I am so torn over this darn thing.
I love the One -- LOVE it! It isn't broken and has been working fine BUT I have the chance to upgrade at a great price and just when I think nope don't want it something or someone says something to get me back on the fence.

Debating on even doing the charge without the HR since the hrm seems to be the source of inaccuracy.
Also being on your wrist I have read is hit and miss with steps. I am not a bracelet wearer normally.

I sound very Pro One and I am but if the Charge would be better then I want that!

HELP!

Replies

• ange_m80
    Options
    My One died two days ago so I was forced to make the decision you're ruminating over. I had also been thinking about it for a while.

I had originally wanted the Surge to replace my Garmin Forerunner 305 (syncing the Garmin to my Mac has always been hit or miss and I hate the Connect interface). Then, after I thought about it, I realized my phone will do GPS tracking for outside runs when I want that so the Charge HR would do what I needed.

I really wanted the heart rate estimate and so far it's been really fun to watch. Keep in mind I've only had it a day ;). A couple of things about the wrist instead of the clip that I've noticed.

1) I use a treadmill desk when I work and I didn't get steps with my hands on the laptop. I wrapped the strap around my belt loop and it tracked steps fine (but lost heart rate of course).

2) The heart rate sensor seems pretty accurate. I've manually checked it a few times throughout the day. And the average heart rate matches what my Garmin HRM usually gives me on my run this morning.

3) I didn't get any extra steps from my 4 hours typing emails today.

4) My calories burned estimate seems higher than with the one. I'll have to track that for a few weeks to see if it's accurate.

Hope that helps! I'm excited to see the data for my first weights workout tomorrow with the Charge HR!

Angela

PS- Fitbit is replacing my One (purchased in August 2013) which is awesome, and I didn't find out until after I purchased the Charge HR. I'm hoping to use the One for times when I don't want to wear the Charge.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be more positive about my experience with the CHR but the original one I bought and the replacement fitbit sent me both grossly overestimate calories for me. But I suppose the bright side is it (and heybales) made me realize how my One was overestimating calories too.

And none of the tips and tricks from the fitbit website or on here helped.

The CHR is really comfy tho and the heart rate sensor seemed to be accurate altho I think it spiked a little higher at some points.

• WarmDontBurn
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I wish I could be more positive about my experience with the CHR but the original one I bought and the replacement fitbit sent me both grossly overestimate calories for me. But I suppose the bright side is it (and heybales) made me realize how my One was overestimating calories too.

And none of the tips and tricks from the fitbit website or on here helped.

The CHR is really comfy tho and the heart rate sensor seemed to be accurate altho I think it spiked a little higher at some points.

I think I read this somewhere else too!! I have always loved my One and thought it to be accurate -- lost 25lbs so far! How was it determined it was overestimating? Do tell.

I think I will take advantage of the sale and grab the HR -- try it for 30 days (wearing the one as well) and see how it works for ME -- I think they key part in most scenario's is how it works for that individual as the info varies greatly!

• glassyo
    Options
    I had the original fitbit (the first one that ever came out) and it worked REALLY well for me. At one point I was wearing a fitbit, bodybug and polar heart rate monitor (during exercise only) and the fitbit and heart rate monitor calories burned were pretty much dead on. But it recently cracked and fitbit sent me a One. (This is like 5(?) years after getting the original. I WILL FOREVER SING THE PRAISES OF THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE!).

Ok, so basically the CHR was giving me 600 calories more during a 4 1/2 hourish walk than the One. This was with and without the heart rate sensor on. I knew it had to be off because I was already gaining and losing the same pound with One for the majority of last year with an approximately 3500 calorie deficit.

So heybales had me test the calorie burn for a section of time.

Actually here's the thread:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10083624/huge-diff-in-calories-burned-with-chr-and-one#latest

But the gist of the testing and the fact he sent me to another website to check out my calorie burn made me do some math and I came up with the One overestimating my calories by about 100 for each hour I walked. Which added up to 3500 a week. (I walk A LOT.)

You should definitely at least try it. It's working for others. But, like someone in another thread said, I want to just be able to look at the numbers and trust they're right but I can't do that anymore.
  • jennkoz
    Options
    I recently upgraded from the Flex to the CHR....I love the CHR, but I've had nothing but problems getting the data to sync w/MFP. It's a huge pain in the @ss.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I had a One and was going to wait to decide on the Charge HR until it had been out a while. Then, I washed my One right before they started selling the CHR. So, I upgraded in January.

Here's my list of pros & cons:
    • I don't really like wearing jewelry, watches, etc., so I was hesitant about a wrist-worn device. I won't lie and say that it never bothers me, but I will admit, not having to move it from one piece of clothing to another when I change is a plus. (That's how my One got washed.)
    • I haven't noticed any real difference between it and my One as far as steps counted, calories burned, etc. It does tend to lose some steps if I hold onto the shopping cart with that hand.
    • When I've checked the heart rate against a chest-strap HRM, it has been accurate. I really do like having the HRM functionality, but I don't know if it is that important to getting accurate data.
    • The battery doesn't last as long (not surprising, considering the HRM function). This doesn't bother me because I've found that it comes closer to my true resting heart rate if I take it off and charge it first thing every morning. (Otherwise, I think it grabs a falsely high RHR because I have a slightly odd morning routine.)
    • The screen scratches fairly easily. I never had a scratch on my One but have several on my CHR already.
    • My One tended to count extra flights of stairs on windy days. My CHR counts extra flights of stairs CONSTANTLY, even when there isn't any wind. So, something that I had already decided was a useless feature is even more useless.
  • newhabitsnewme
    newhabitsnewme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr. Only wore it for a week so far. I absolutely love it. Steps seem accurate. Calorie burn n heartrate look good too. Typically i do not eat my exercise calories back, so if it is a bit off it really wont effect my weight loss. I enjoy being able to look at my stats by tapping the button on the device. The watch is also very helpful. Its comfortable to wear.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    You guys are amazing! Thank you!!
    I am going to try it out today :smiley: -- Will be picking it up later this evening! I will probably do both for awhile because I trust my One (I think..lol)

Not worried so much about extra steps or stairs as long as the calories burned at the end of the day aren't crazy weird. I appreciate the info and can't wait to post my own experience.
  • panamagrl
    panamagrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had an original Ultra, then a One, and I've had a Charge HR since January. I continued to wear my One with the CHR. I noticed the CHR tends to drastically overestimate my step count, an average of 2k/day more than what appears on my One. I spent an hour folding clothes and the Charge gave me thousands of step credit for it (I was standing in place), whereas the One showed the actual few dozen steps I'd taken during the hour. The HR seems to be accurate except during more intense exercise. I like it overall, but I still feel like the One is more accurate in regards to actual steps, and I have to wear my Polar hear rate monitor during exercise.
  • glassyo
    Options
    panamagrl wrote: »
    I noticed the CHR tends to drastically overestimate my step count, an average of 2k/day more than what appears on my One. I spent an hour folding clothes and the Charge gave me thousands of step credit for it (I was standing in place), whereas the One showed the actual few dozen steps I'd taken during the hour.

Yeah, wrist based activity trackers will do that. :p

I was actually thinking that may have been part of my problem since I use my hands a lot at work when it's our busy season (which is now).

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    One more difference I forgot to mention. The One and the Charge HR track "active minutes" differently. With the One, it shows Very Active Minutes on your Dashboard and you can click on the tile and see both Very Active and Moderately Active minutes. I was really watching that, as I wanted to increase my overall level of activity outside of when I was exercising. Unfortunately, I lost that ability with the Charge HR. It tracks "active minutes" on the dashboard (so, both very active and moderately active), and shows both when you click on the tile, but the way it determines moderately active minutes, I only get a few a day, I think at the beginning and/or end of when I'm exercising.

So, to increase my overall activity level, I've fallen back on trying to make sure I get at least some steps showing in each 15 minute period on the Activity Tile.