new to the idea of "it's my turn now"

Options
I have always put my family and friends first, but I am almost 30 and scared to death of dieing big. I want to be around for my kid's kids and I need to feel happy about myself again. I decided that its my turn to do what is right for me, even if its sometimes being selfish. I am recently a SAHM and I'm having a hard time dealing with it, I have always worked but circumstances have made me to stay home. well that's it for right now

Replies

• devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That is awesome that you are puting yourself first. As mothers we tend to not do that and it is so healthy of you to make that choice! Always remember that to be there for our children and to set good examples we have to put ourselves first because only then can we give to our children what they really need... US! Good luck and remember when it gets hard, or you feel selfish, you are doing whats right for your children by making yourself as healthy and happy as you can.
  • scatterchatter
    scatterchatter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good for you! But you aren't being selfish, You are getting healthy so you can be around for your family. That doesn't sound selfish to me!
  • k33rz85
    k33rz85 Posts: 8
    Options
    it has been so hard for me to find something that my family will eat and still be on track for myself, I eat smaller portions but they still give me their leftovers. I can't stand to waste food so I finish it then I feel awful cause I did so we go in long walkin trips to make it up. all I can do is hope for the best
  • lindseymp2015
    lindseymp2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's my goal this year - to finally make time for me --- in order to be there stronger and better for my family. I work and that's about the only time I get me time. Well. I get away. Tho I do try to get to the Y which has babysitting however my lo has anxiety issues since her surgery so it's difficult to leave her or stay long - I feel bad bc they take care of the other kids members too. I signed up for several half marathons so now I got to get moving! I've done them but it's been 8 years and I wasn't a runner then. Lol. I'm excited about taking care of myself! Good luck to you!
  • k33rz85
    Options
    thnxs for all the input and awesome togetherness, I have been researching the whole couch to 5k, I think I might just do it, would luv feedback on this, especially if you have done or doing it now. I am in Moulton, AL so if you are doing or plan on doin please let's join up
  • k33rz85
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sooo having a bad night, had an awesome day went hiking with the boys and went walking at a huge *kitten* museum afterwards, but once I got home and settled down after being going all day, I just got really tired, which after walking so much makes sense. anyways when my hubby came home he handed me a beer and now four beers later I feel like *kitten* I mean I'm no lightweight at all, fullblooded Mexican here, but I feel kinda guilty for killing four beers in an hour. how in the world am I suppose to keep on track when I can't keep the little things from getting in the way of my ultimate goal. well rant over .... later chickas
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Get hubby on board - one beer, and then switch to water, or a fun variation of water. It's hard to stay on track :) Also - being tired: I've been upping my protein, and reducing my carbs, and noticing a LOT more energy. Eggs, lean meats like chicken etc. It's been keeping me going :)
  • k33rz85
    Options
    Get hubby on board - one beer, and then switch to water, or a fun variation of water. It's hard to stay on track :) Also - being tired: I've been upping my protein, and reducing my carbs, and noticing a LOT more energy. Eggs, lean meats like chicken etc. It's been keeping me going :)

thnxs for that,just needed to vent definitely gonna do better
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's rough! I work and hubby stays home for the second- he starts work at the end of the month and he was in school the last three years. The baby (well, she's three but I still have trouble thinking of her as anything but my baby!) goes to day care. SO, I work all day, have charting to do at night, still do almost all of the cooking and cleaning. So it's been hard to find the time to go run and I've just been eating fast food between patients (I am a home health nurse).

Going to have to start planning better this weekend for the week coming up. I didn't use c25k, but I did starting jogging. And I have my first official 5k run in April.
  • k33rz85
    Options
    well I have taken to walking for 1-2 hrs three days a week in the mornings with my husband, it has been easy cause he isn't very motivated but it gives us time alone so he does it. but I have figured out that I would much rather just walkin total silence than talk cause I can think and plan stuff out for the rest of the day or week, but all he wants to do is talk. anyways I do look forward for our walks and I made sure he knows that the speed, and amount of distance is up to me, because its something I am doing for me and what I feel I can handle. still having a hard time with not finishing everyone's leftover but am working on it. I have started to walk away from the table when I'm done and having the kids clean up the table, so I won't see it and want to still eat. long road but I am determined to get healthy.
  • AJHOPEIT
    AJHOPEIT Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    About the leftovers, I used to put them in the fridge for my next day lunch. But a friend of mine told me what she does is let her kids eat first. Once they are done, she combines their leftovers, and add a little to make her plate.
    We usually eat dinner at 6pm at our house. This is working for me coz I avoid wasting, while not putting in the extra calories.
  • k33rz85
    Options
    Well i have been off everything for a while now cause of moving and change in family dynamic, its just me and my kids living back at my parents, and it just sucks, haven't been motivated to do anything cause i just feel defeated. But i am going to just keep trying and do this for me,just like i planned the first time around
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Focus on yourself and the kiddos. They want a happy, healthy momma. I hope things smooth out for you soon.
  • TheWazzer27
    TheWazzer27 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In regards to couch to 5k...go for it!! It's how I started running. At first you will feel like you aren't getting anywhere. But stick with the slow gradual program and I promise you in a few short weeks you will be running longer and further than you would have ever thought you could.