Any low-carbers here?

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
About halfway through a box of Valentine's chocolates in a single sitting, I decided enough was enough. I realized I had let myself slip into a pattern of eating burgers and fries, cake, ice cream, candy, you name it--not as occasional treats, but on a daily basis. I was about 100 lbs overweight and about 60 lbs over my pre-having-three-babies-in-a-row weight (if I call it pre-pregnancy, I have to explain WHICH pregnancy, LOL). I felt like crud every day. None of my clothes fit. I had had it with myself. So I decided to ditch the crap food. In thinking about what I ate every day, the "crap" food was carbs. Loads and loads of carbs. I did a little research and decided to just start by eliminating all the processed/refined carbs and sugar-added items in my daily diet. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what "diet" I'm doing, but does it really matter? My current plan is to stay under 40 net carbs (carbs minus fiber) per day and stick with real foods rather than processed foods. Using a calculator I found online I set my calorie goal at 1418 per day. I do still subtract 300 calories from my breakfast for breastfeeding, so I actually eat up to 1718 calories per day. Anyone else have a low-carb way of eating? It would be nice to have some mommy friends with similar plans....

Replies

• devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also am low carbing it. But mine has an added spin of high protien. One important thing about eating low carbs is that if you go over your carb amount sometimes by eating veggies and fruits it is ok. One major problem i see with the way some people that do this is they also cut out a lot of those needed veggies and fruits because they tend to have higher carb value, but it is extremely important to keep those up.
    Great job on deciding to cut out processed foods! I have been doing that with my entire family for a few years now. It is extremely hard! But you can definitely do it. One thing that i have done is research what all those hard-to-say names are on the labels. Ew ew ew! It turns you off of all things processed believe me! If you need any advice or just need some support you can always talk to me. I completly understand what you are going through.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I eat a lot of veggies on this plan! Meat, eggs, cheese, and vegetables are pretty much all I'm eating besides seasonings and condiments. :) I focus on quality and am not stressing about absolute carb values but try to stay under 40 net carbs per day.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Low carbing over here too! I just started the 17 day diet (and got beaten up on the community board for asking about it). But it's basically a low carb plan. I'm loving it. I feel better already, and it hasn't been a full week. I fell into such a rut of hitting a drive through with the kids (easier than getting everyone out) or having cereal for dinner, or snack, etc. etc. I could go on. I'm on a mission to take back my body. I'm looking at about 40lbs post babies. Blerg. Let's do this!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the 17 day diet. I'm not following any specific diet plan really. So happy to know there are other moms doing this too.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So what's working for you ladies? I'm so tired of this extra tire around my waist :/
  • owencassie
    owencassie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been low carbing since mid-January. I've lost 30lbs so far and I've dropped 2 pant sizes. Let me know if you have any questions!
  • MsTanyaRN
    MsTanyaRN Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am following Atkins basically, slightly modified. I have lost 14lbs in my first 14 days and I know it will start to slow down now. I've done it in the past and it has worked for me. I do eat lots of veggies and some fruit and lots of protein. If I start to have a sweet craving which for the most part has subsided, I'll eat a spoonful of peanut butter. I am looking to lose 50lbs this year. I now need to get my exercising in gear!!! Good luck to you all!
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yup - it's a modified Atkins that you'll see in other forums as LCHF (low carb - high fat, we talk about it a lot in the PCOS forums). Keep in mind that when you reduce the carbs, your body still needs energy, so increase the good fats. You're on a good path. My only advice is to make reductions the way that's best for you. I'm addicted to both carbs and sugar so I call what I do "lowish carb". The changes I've made so far have been slow and deliberate but sustainable. Once something a habit (no more sandwiches for lunch), then I cast about for another small thing to change. I've noticed people on forums trying to make big, sudden changes and then lament them over and over.....
  • c32876
    c32876 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have gone to eating un refined catbs like brown rice, no pasta, and I onll eat bread with live grains and only two servings og grains a day.You do need tjose grains for a healthy rounded diet.
  • mrshiq
    mrshiq Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did very low carb, high protein last year and lost 50lbs in 14 weeks!! (a bit too quick, perhaps) It was very successful for me. Unfortunately, I love baking!!! ;-) SO, over the past year, I gained half of my weight back. This week, I began really focusing on cutting out breads and pasta and I have lost 5lbs already on day 5!! I have also been doing cardio daily.

I have found that cutting processed foods has been wonderful for my family!!
    I make most of our meals and snacks from scratch/whole foods. I have been doing so for a bit over a year and none of us have been sick! (knock on wood) It is amazing!

Like I said, I do bake a lot--- bread, muffins, etc... but, I am working hard to stay away from those things or have them very sparingly.

Good luck with the low carb lifestyle!!! :-) I hope it works wonders for you.