"Fear Foods"/Eating in Unfamiliar Situations

Options
Hey All,

Just wondering what you all do to deal with foods that you feel uncomfortable with. Sometimes when I eat a fear food, I binge, and other times, I decide that I should be eating less because it was terrible that I ate whatever. Logically I know that this is not true. In my head, I feel really guilty. That or what about when you go on dates or meals with people you don't know well yet. Or if you eat alone but in a crowded place like a cafeteria.

I find both of these give me a lot anxiety, and would like to enjoy things like this, instead of fear. What are a few ways you cope?

Replies

• alskarani
    Options
    I just wanted to say "I hear you!" I struggle with these things too. In fact, in my group meal at the treatment center I just started going to, I was unable to push the anxiety aside and eat anything at all! And if I eat something I fear, I will feel panicked for hours, and just want to get it out. :(

I think I'm going to learn ways of coping. I'll post back when I do. Sorry I don't have anything helpful at the moment. Perhaps someone else does?
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a nutritionist and we keep the same calories but she adds a new food each week. Sometimes she will e-mail me my plan and I'll see the food and think I can't do that. Right now it's oatmeal and almonds! Eeeks....I feel like cheating and not eating them. I'm just so scared that I'll gain tons of weight if I eat them.

So I guess my advice is work a fear food into your calories. Maybe just a little bit to convince yourself that you can eat them. Keep posting and let me or us know how it is going.
  • minipony
    Options
    I just want to say that I ate 14 almonds today! That is a big deal for me. They are on my food fear lists. It was within my nutrition plan so I just trusted.
  • alskarani
    alskarani Posts: 83
    Options
    minipony wrote: »
    I just want to say that I ate 14 almonds today! That is a big deal for me. They are on my food fear lists. It was within my nutrition plan so I just trusted.

Good job!! That's a HUGE deal. Be really proud of yourself! :) Way to go, with trusting something outside of your own head. That takes a lot of courage, I know.
  • MacCroc
    MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @minipony, that sounds like a great way! I like your nutritionist, keep up the good work.

For me personally, starting to count calories really helped. I gave up the idea of forbiddden foods soon after I started on MFP because I realised weight loss/gain has very little to do with type of food, it's just about staying within your calories. I opt for small portions of "non-clean" foods quite often now because I know they will fill me better than a big plate of vegetables or something "clean" and I will be less likely to binge.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @minipony‌ good job! That's awesome.

• minipony
    Options
    MacCroc wrote: »
    @minipony, that sounds like a great way! I like your nutritionist, keep up the good work.

For me personally, starting to count calories really helped. I gave up the idea of forbiddden foods soon after I started on MFP because I realised weight loss/gain has very little to do with type of food, it's just about staying within your calories. I opt for small portions of "non-clean" foods quite often now because I know they will fill me better than a big plate of vegetables or something "clean" and I will be less likely to binge.

That is a good point. I never thought about the fact that different foods might be more satiating and nutritious.
  • chigiriswrath
    chigiriswrath Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My fear foods tend to be my binge foods and I totally understand why it's so difficult to conquer them. It's not always as simple as adding them into your caloric goals since they can trigger a binge or unhealthy behavior. For me, I try to work with them when I'm with my boyfriend since I trust him to keep me from binging or panicking. Another idea is to work up to those fear foods by eating similar foods. For example, I'm not comfortable with mashed potatoes since the starch is so scary. However, mashed sweet potatoes are similar in texture, have some starch, and can be equal in calories if you add toppings. Just the other day I finally took a bite of mashed potatoes and kept myself from a binge, but only had a tiny portion. Still, progress is progress!
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @chigiriswrath‌ that is some very good advise. Only thing is I don't have anyone I know to work on these things with. But I really like the other suggestion
  • minipony
    Options
    I too think there are some foods I really need to avoid. When I eat them I can't stop eating them. My trigger foods are popcorn...even air popped, diet hot cocoa, any ice cream or frozen yogurt. When I do eat them in moderation it is a huge struggle and I think about it a lot which drives me crazy!!! chigiriswrath I love your sweet potato idea too. I wonder if regular potatoes are as bad as the media (magazines, newest health books) say they are. Currently my thoughts about them are that they turn into a kind of a sugar starch that easily is stored as fat. But are they really that bad? Why are sweet potatoes deemed so much healthier?
  • MacCroc
    MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »
    Currently my thoughts about them are that they turn into a kind of a sugar starch that easily is stored as fat.
    They will not be stored as fat unless you are exceeding your TDEE. If you are exceeding it, anything can turn into fat, even the "cleanest" lean and high-protein food. That's why "bad foods" is a very wrong label.
    The main reason potatoes are considered bad is that they have almost no protein and a lot of fast carbs, so they are not contributing to muscle growth and you might get hungry faster after eating them (or not, I find that very personal). They absolutely do not automatically turn into fat.

• minipony
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense. How come the truth is never written about in fad books or magazines. I know...marketing and money. So sad.