Antelope Canyon 50 Mile Race Report

Options
runfoorun
runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
Hi All!! I ran the Antelope Canyon 50 this past weekend and wanted to share my race report for this amazing, beautiful, terribly difficult, awesome race. If any of you are interested in running an ultra keep this one in mind.

http://gilberthernandezrunner.blogspot.com/2015/03/antelope-canyon-50-mile-race-report.html

0x9hun5wkonv.jpg
ac.jpg 52.7K

Replies

• aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This one is in my list for 2016, if I survive this year. Love it!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great report and such gorgeous pictures! Though I can't imagine running in so much sand... wow!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Congrats Gilbert! You crushed it.
  • runfoorun
    Options
    Thank you everyone! The sand was a bit of a traumatizing experience. Ha! but it was well worth the struggle for the scenery.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing pictures. Yikes all of the sand. I would have nightmares about that. :D
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing. We visited Lake Powell last summer and kayaked into Antelope Canyon. It was amazing and breathtaking. I can only imagine your race!
  • runfoorun
    Options
    Most of the areas we ventured into were on Navajo land. So it usually requires hiring a Navajo guide to even see the majority of these areas. I have to give kudos to the race director putting on this race. The entire race series put on by Ultra Adventures seems pretty awesome. I'm sure I'll be trying out a few more of their races.
  • talulah73
    talulah73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Amazing. A great race report and awesome pictures :) Cheers for sharing ....so want to do this race :D
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I did the inaugural run of the 50 miler last year. It was a tiny field, only a little over 30 runners. It's gotten huge in one year which is awesome for Matt and his crew but I'm glad I got to run it when hardly anybody knew about it. It's just going to get bigger.
  • runfoorun
    Options
    Thanks @talulah73, I highly recommend this race. @jturnerx, you're so right. Word is spreading fast on Matt's entire race series also. He knows how to pick a location. This year wasn't too bad. A bit of bottle necking at the beginning but that seems typical. I loved the atmosphere at this one. I sat by the fire and watched everyone cross the finish. I really enjoyed myself.