fatbike on a budget - how bad of an idea is this

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I'm kicking around the idea of building up a fatbike on a budget... but how bad of an idea is this?

I'm looking at buying a cheap off-the-department-store-floor fatbike. I'd then upgradem basically everything except the frame, fork, and cranks/bb. I'd have to buy a wheelset and tires, but everything else I have in my garage or can pull off other bikes in the short term.

All told, I could do it for ~ $1000. Build would look something like this:
  • Generic frame and fork, probably alu, but possibly steel, generic headset
  • Generic cranks/bb
  • Stans wheelset, Surly or Specialize tires (I'd have to buy these).
  • disk brakes - I've got hope hydros, magura hydros and avid mechs in my garage to choose from
  • thomson post, easton bars and stem
  • Specialized saddle, oury lockon grips
  • X7 shifters and rear derailleur
  • 1x10 drivetrain w/ narrow-wide chainring
  • SPD pedals

I figure the frames are mass produced and generally overbuilt, so the only "problem" with them is the weight and the ride quality (assuming no funky geometry stuff). Cranks are cranks. Everything else would be upgraded. Heavy frame, but tubeless wheelset... weight should be in the low to mid 30lb range (guessing).

For comparison's sake, if I were buying a good bike complete, I'd go with an Ice Cream Truck at ~$2700. Better frame, no doubt, better cranks, but equal or "worse" parts everywhere else, including heavy *kitten* tires/wheelset, which is really noticeable when climbing.

Thoughts?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that bought one off Bikes Direct and then just upgraded the wheel set. Her total price was also $1000.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I looked at a few of those, too. The biggest issue I see with the cheap frames is QR dropouts and some run sliding SS dropouts - I'd have to figure a way to run a r/der.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Check out KHS...they have an entry-level fatty with decent components for about a grand. right now you could snag one for cheaper as places clearance them out. Or even look for used. We bought my Salsa Mukluk 3 used for a grand and it already has great components.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting a second-hand? Making any repairs? This time of year great time to pick one up, people who were given those as last year's Christmas gifts & now they are gathering dust & flat tires in the garage...lol...
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Yea, I'm keeping an eye on craigslist, and there are a few out there, but geometry is a limiting factor for me. Most of the older bikes that are coming up for sale have too steep head angles for me.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have always been told buy the frame. Go with cheap gear until you can upgrade the gear.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The demos should go on sale around May or June. My lbs just sold me a 2015 Salsa Mukluk. i was one of 4 people who had ever ridden it. Got a steal.

If you're on facebook, check out Fat Bike Trader group. Tons of people selling great bikes. I also see a lot of people selling their lower end bikes after only a month or two to upgrade.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    did you check out statebicycle.com?
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    In the UK, 'On One' do a nice Fat Bike:

FBOOFATX5_P1.jpg

[http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/bikes/mountain-bikes/fat-bikes]

From £700 (US$1075.54) to £1600 (US$2458.18)

However, being in the UK, the shipping costs might be prohibitive?!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    pretty sure that they have US distributors Clive...

http://www.planet-x-usa.com/brand/q/On-One