Running in the cold-What to wear

Options
samrunsfast
samrunsfast Posts: 15 Member
Just curious what people wear on long runs in the cold? I usually don't like to wear sweats or a sweatshirt because I thought it would get too wet and heavy. But on my long run yesterday it was snowing and 10 degrees outside. It took me 2 hours and 5 minutes for 12 miles. When I got home and took off my pants I was alarmed to see my legs were PURPLE... I think I need to wear something warmer but not sure what material is best... Any suggestions? My husband's suggestion was to run those cold days inside... on a treadmill... 12 miles... I laughed at him.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Marker base layer pants I bought years ago for skiing and they are super warm. I wear them anytime I run under 25F and have never felt cold on my legs. On top I usually wear a good base layer shirt that keeps my warm and dry. Whatever I wear on top of that doesn't really matter. If it's snowing, I wear a water resistant jacket. This weekend was 10F and I wore two pairs of gloves, a hat and a balaclava, but I ended up pulling my balaclava down around my neck because I don't like it on my mouth for long runs. My fingers tend to be the coldest part of me when running in the cold, hence the double gloves. For the record, I never wear two pairs of socks. Sure way to get blisters.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of winter running tights from Lululemon that keep me warm most of the winter. I also have a pair of winter running pants from the Running Room that are for the really cold days. I have never had to put a layer on under them and I think my coldest run was about -13F (-25 C) with wind chill.

On top I wear a base wicking layer then a layer or two of warm layers. I have an Under Armour turtle neck top that has a wind block on the front of it which is really warm and another zip up hoodie from MEC that is really warm but super thin along with a couple of regular warm base layers. What I wear together depends on the temp. I wear my regular wind breaker type running jacket on top to keep the wind off. I also have a down filled winter running jacket that I bought from lululemon on sale. It is awesome. I usually only have to wear a wicking layer underneath. (it just started fitting again).

I'll wear a hat and glove or mittens as well. On really cold days I had a balaclava but it fell out of my pocket on my last long run I wore it on :(

I also never wear two pairs of socks.

Starting out I did wear sweat shirts, sometimes even two. They are pretty bulky but worked fine. Whenever I respond to these threads my suggestion is get a good winter running pant first. The rest you can layer and substitute whatever you have to keep warm but the pants make a difference.
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I ran 12 on the treadmill yesterday because it snowed.. But I isually just layer up.. Hat, gloves, windbreaker jacket.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I just wear my thicker tights for the really cold days.
    Only once have I underdressed totally and wished for 2 layers on my legs.
    I found a light pair of pants from EMS I could wear over my tights for both running and skiing.
    I tend to overheat so I never have a balaclava (which I just learned wasn't spelled with a K lol), I'll wear my Craft base or some other long sleeve with a wicking tshirt over and a jacket. gloves, fleece hat, one pair of socks
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    15-35, shorts and a LS tech with a pullover
    35+ shorts and LS with maybe a SS layered on top
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If it's under 20, I usually run inside, because I'm a baby.
    I did 14 Sunday and it was 25 degrees, barely breezy. I wore a long-sleeved top (micro-fleece lining), a heat gear vest (for storage more than warmth), UA micro-fleece lined leggings, and a headband to keep my ears warm. Was fine, but my knees got cold and stuff, but little I can do about that.
    If it's above 35, I tend to wear short sleeves and leggings because my arms will get super warm but my legs stay cool (and when my knees get too cold, they ache for hours). If it's above 45, I'll wear shorts.

Edit: Sometimes I'll wear Nike pro compression shorts under my leggings, and sometimes with shorts on top of that when it's windy. AND YET I still cannot keep my buns warm! I've decided it's a lost cause.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I ran this morning. 28 degrees and had shorts, an Underarmor longsleeve that's too warm to wear unless it's under 40, light gloves, and a beanie. Felt fantastic and I was sweating towards the end.

0M6KsRpl.jpg
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you are running faster, you generally can dress down a bit as you generate more heat. It is really a trial and error system for determining what you should wear. I have run in some seriously cold temperatures and my upper body is where I do most of my layering. Hands are kept warm by placing socks over them (much better than gloves) and sometimes if it is really cold, I will place the air activated handwarmers inside winterweight socks. For my face, I wear a neck gaiter over a fleece cap. My lower body and feet I don't have to many issues with as the blood is really pumping to that area and keeping it warm. The exception to that is the "man-parts" that need protection from the wind. I wear windproof underwear but some people wear shorts over their tights. I am unsure if women have that same issue ;)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    If you are running faster, you generally can dress down a bit as you generate more heat. It is really a trial and error system for determining what you should wear. I have run in some seriously cold temperatures and my upper body is where I do most of my layering. Hands are kept warm by placing socks over them (much better than gloves) and sometimes if it is really cold, I will place the air activated handwarmers inside winterweight socks. For my face, I wear a neck gaiter over a fleece cap. My lower body and feet I don't have to many issues with as the blood is really pumping to that area and keeping it warm. The exception to that is the "man-parts" that need protection from the wind. I wear windproof underwear but some people wear shorts over their tights. I am unsure if women have that same issue ;)

One of the fast guys around here says if you can keep your hands warm, you will stay warm. He also ran the Hypothermic Half marathon in a tank top. There was a long uphill stretch into the headwind and my hat was wet, it was seriously so cold that my head hurt. But he won the race and I was probably twice a long as him (if not more, it was a race I was not prepared for).
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If it's under 20, I usually run inside, because I'm a baby.
    I did 14 Sunday and it was 25 degrees, barely breezy. I wore a long-sleeved top (micro-fleece lining), a heat gear vest (for storage more than warmth), UA micro-fleece lined leggings, and a headband to keep my ears warm. Was fine, but my knees got cold and stuff, but little I can do about that.
    If it's above 35, I tend to wear short sleeves and leggings because my arms will get super warm but my legs stay cool (and when my knees get too cold, they ache for hours). If it's above 45, I'll wear shorts.

Edit: Sometimes I'll wear Nike pro compression shorts under my leggings, and sometimes with shorts on top of that when it's windy. AND YET I still cannot keep my buns warm! I've decided it's a lost cause.

15-20 degrees is my threshold too, especially for a longer run. I hate cold weather! It bothers my joints before I even start (rheumatoid arthritis) and I hate my nose dripping the entire time. I am the oddball who likes the treadmill.

I do have an arsenal of layering pieces and agree about keeping hands warm. My hands get freakishly hot when I run and I usually remove my gloves after a few miles into the run.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The chart above is helpful. I also like the Runner's World What to Wear tool: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

For below 40 degrees, I'm usually good in a base layer, light lined jacket and tights. I'll vary the base layer depending on how cold (fleece vs. Dri-Fit, for example) and I also have a few pairs of insulated tights. Then, add accessories: hat, gloves, neck gaiter, as needed. I get the purple leg thing too, but I run hot so I figure it's not going to kill me.