Loving Stronglifts But Need Help

kmp0511
kmp0511 Posts: 3 Member
Hi, so happy to be joining this group. I've been lifting for a few months now and love it!! Started my second week of stronglifts but I need some advice on form for the barbell rows. I'm only 5'2 and over 200lbs with a VERY large chest. I'm finding it impossible to bend with proper form to pick the bar up and to return it to the floor after each lift. Unfortunately at this point in my weightloss journey my stomach and chest are in the way.lol
Can anyone suggest an alternative to this, I have started to switch to dumbell rows instead but am concerned that this won't work my muscles as effectively as the barbell rows.

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited March 2015
    Trying stacking some plates on the ground and setting the bar on top of those. It will elevate the weight up to you so you can safely pick it up and set it down after the reps.

Like so (the yellow is only one plate. You can use more to get the bar to the right height.):
    hqdefault.jpg
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you, short and busty.

I actually row to just under the boobage, so they don't get in the way. Double check your form to ensure your back is parallel to the ground. I'd raise the barbell/use bumper plates and that'll close the distance on how far to drop the bar to the floor.

This guy has great how to videos and some options. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8l_8chR5BE
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I would also suggest that you could always try doing inverse bodyweight rows instead or as a supplement to the barbell row.
  • kmp0511
    kmp0511 Posts: 3 Member
    Stacking the plates! What a great idea, being able to bring it up a few inches would definitly help. At least until I can get some of this weight off. Thanks!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    thanks awkward, that was great! Who is that guy? I want more!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    NVM, see it at the end LOL