but I just ate.. why am I hungry again!?

Options
murphyraven
murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
Seriously this is one of the biggest things I am going to have to adjust to. I feel like I just had a meal and I'm hungry again, but then I realize it's been about 4 hours. My plan asks me to eat 5-6 times a day but I am still suprised at getting hungry when it feels like I just had a meal. Logically I know I am eating much smaller portions now. I used to be able to go about 6+ hours between meals and my brain hasn't caught up.

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat more often now. But if you are within the first few months out, many people experience "hunger" as the only sign of acid reflux or excess stomach acid. Ask your doc or phamacist about an acid reducer that you take daily for a few months. It may take a week or two to help, but if that is what it is, it will be a big difference.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Agree with Ayla! My surgeon gives you a ppi when they discharge you from the hospital no matter what for the first month. I missed it by accident and it made a huuggggeee difference. Felt hungry/nauseous and just not good. Also, my nut said eating 5-6 times a day is a good habit now and later on because it helps build a foundation so you are never starving and make bad choices later. I still think it's funny that I'm supposed to eat more often now than pre op (tho obv better choices/smaller portions)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me a sleeved tummy isn't happy totally empty for the first few years, so eat every 4-6 hours. Frankly the only way I could get in all my protein was to eat 6-8 times a day anyway. And if you are going about 4 hours before you are registering hunger, it doesn't sound to me like you are hungry right after a meal. That would be eating at noon and then wanting to eat again at 1:00. Sounds like your body is reacting normally.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I ditto exactly what Pawoodhull said. Plus remember thirst feels like hunger now as well. However after 4hrs. you are due for some numb numbs. lol
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    this is when I eat 2 bites of a protein bar,or slim jim mini, tbsp. of nuts, or cheesestick. This is part of my 3 meal 2snack life
  • liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I took the acid reducer and it didn't do jack to my hunger. My nut said not everyone gets that magic of no hunger for six months. I was hungry from 2 weeks out. I never used to eat after dinner now I get ravenous before bed. It's quite annoying really.
  • aylajane
    Options
    liz1531 wrote: »
    I took the acid reducer and it didn't do jack to my hunger. My nut said not everyone gets that magic of no hunger for six months. I was hungry from 2 weeks out. I never used to eat after dinner now I get ravenous before bed. It's quite annoying really.

I was very similar for a long time - seemed like I could exercise self control during the day, but after 5pm all bets were off. So I adjusted - I skimped all day (eating salads for volume, etc) using my "control" so that I would have at least 800 calories (prefer 1000) available from 5pm on. I *love* being able to eat all evening and not go over. I still have to log and be somewhat reasonable, but I can eat a small/medium dinner and 3-4 snacks, so I am eating nearly every hour until I go to bed.

Your calorie goals are probably smaller (I am up to 2000 calories now). But if your goal is say 1200, see if you can leave at least 600 for the times you are the most hungry. I even went through some phases where I would break it up by 100 or 200 calories... I.e. 1200 calories means I can eat 100 calories 12 times a day. So All my "meals" were about 100 calories. I eventually moved to something like 150-200 calories 3-4 times a day and 50-100 3-4 times a day. Just figure out your hunger patterns and when you have the most control and allocate your calories accordingly.
  • aylajane
    Options
    liz1531 wrote: »

Oh and did you try different kinds? Different ones work very differently. omeprazole vs ranitidine for example... Omeprazole (Prilosec) stops the stomach from creating stomach acid. ranitidine (Zantac) neutralizes the stomach acid. You can even combine them - taking prilosec in the morning and zantac in the evening. Dont give up without trying them for at least a few weeks!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I know! It feels like I eat all the time now! I eat 5-6 times per day, just very small amounts and generally high protein now. Crazy, but if it works, it WORKS!
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have to make myself eat. I'm 6 months post op and since surgery I don't ever get hungry. The only thing that makes me want to eat is the smell of food lol. I eat 3 meals a day and have a fruit or protein snack between meals.