Compared to Other Activity Trackers

Options
getthebuzz
getthebuzz Posts: 4 Member
I have an FT7 watch and HRM. Considering the Loop with the newer H7 HRM. It will sync to the Loop, my watch, and my phone. Anyone know if it will sync to all three at the same time? Not sure why I would want to, but it is nice to have flexibility.

I am an air traffic controller and I work rotating shifts. It would be nice to know about my sleep cycles. Has anyone used it for that, and what were your results?

Also, how does the Loop compare to other devices? I want it for the HRM, which I already use on my FT7, but I also would like to do things like have it measure activity like climbing the stairs at work (a 230 foot air traffic control tower). To that end, other devices can't compare if they don't have an HRM. But, I could use the old FT7 and HRM that I already have, and add a Fitbit or something else and get most of the functionality.

Finally, does the H7 need to be removed from the strap, or does it shut off from the device synced with it?

Replies

• Numb5kull
    Numb5kull Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 watch and HRM. Considering the Loop with the newer H7 HRM. It will sync to the Loop, my watch, and my phone. Anyone know if it will sync to all three at the same time? Not sure why I would want to, but it is nice to have flexibility.

I am an air traffic controller and I work rotating shifts. It would be nice to know about my sleep cycles. Has anyone used it for that, and what were your results?

Also, how does the Loop compare to other devices? I want it for the HRM, which I already use on my FT7, but I also would like to do things like have it measure activity like climbing the stairs at work (a 230 foot air traffic control tower). To that end, other devices can't compare if they don't have an HRM. But, I could use the old FT7 and HRM that I already have, and add a Fitbit or something else and get most of the functionality.

Finally, does the H7 need to be removed from the strap, or does it shut off from the device synced with it?

It will sync to them, but only one at a time. If I'm treadmilling or something stationary, I sync the H7 with my Loop, if I am outside actually moving I'll sync with my phone so I can take the data straight to MMF. If during that workout I accidentally hold my wrist up by the HRM transmitter for long enough for them to pair....the Loop will hijack the session and become the receiver. It really doesn't matter which one is receiving it, can still get all the data either way. In fact I may just start always sync'ing the HRM to the Loop and using MMF at the same time to track outside workouts.

It tracks sleep, and does give you a reading of percentage restful sleep vs restless sleep.....but it doesn't break it down like the UP24 and similar do. I never got much usefulness out of it on my UP24 so I didn't mind the decreased functionality when switching to the Loop.

The Loop does not measure altitude, its not going to meet your needs in that area. This is one of the only devices that has the ability to sync with the H7 as far as activity trackers go though. There are others that measure heart rate via wrist, but ehhh, not quite the same as the H7 as far as accuracy goes.

I don't know the answer about the strap definitively, however it makes sense to me that removing it from the snaps on the strap breaks the circuit and stops it from seeking a signal constantly and therefore saving battery life. I unsnap mine after every workout, it is a 2 second process.

As far as what's best...personal taste in my opinion. I wanted the HRM functionality so it trumped everything. The visual display is nice andI like the look of the Loop better than anything else out there. Its not the best mobile app ever but it works fine for me, I have found it to to be pretty good as far as accuracy is concerned, and battery life is reasonable even with daily hour long workouts (4'ish days, 5+ with less HRM activity). Major drawback is no direct link with MFP, but I've not only gotten used to it, I kind of like it, gives me more discretion over what is counted into my caloric budget. You CAN sync the data though using a combination of MFP, MMF, and Polar Flow.
  • eoinmsfo
    eoinmsfo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can confirm removing the H7 from the strap (unsnap it from the strap) will terminate the HRM connection to any device (Loop or Mobile Phone). I bought my Loop+H7 in July '14 and like them very much.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i have the Polar loop and the H7 strap and i love them.. there are down sides to the loop that it can't deturmin steps from simple walking. or distance.. but for the activity tracker on it.. hands down is the best.. and paired with the H7 strap.. FANTASTIC.. on that note the fitbit is also great on steppers and stairs.. i also balieve they have a new one out with a gps for distance. I also been compairing a wrist HRM to the H7 strap and it seems the strap has a closer accuracy then the wrist.... lol.. when decideding its hard lol.. but what you decide i hope the best for ya :)