Fitbit calories are kinda freaking me out

Options
txrn123
txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
I'm sure it's prob just that when I started MFP a few months ago I solely went by their daily cal limit of like 1350 and since adding FB and all my activity is added in, the daily allowed cals have been bumped up by 300 to 500 cals each day. I'm averaging 11,000 to 12,000 steps a day cuz I'm a nurse and am on the go a lot. It just worries me that I am going to over eat and I've done so well with MFP so far.
Anyone use both MFP and FB together and start to backslide?

Replies

• knitnrunmj
    knitnrunmj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first time I saw that, I admit...it gave me a shock. But I try to keep my eye on the total food cals, and if that fails, I just skip right to the fitbit app for my total intake. My goals on both apps are very close, so it'll tell me if I'm going over my original allotment.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What is your BMR? I never eat below that number. I ignore the MFP suggestion and "use custom goals". Fitbit also goes way too low sometimes.
    When I was working I too was clocking up 12,000 steps without even thinking about it. And that was just at work. So if my body uses 1400 just to stay in a living state, think how much more it needs to power 12,000 steps!

I do Low Carb, but I was eating in the 1600-1800+ calorie range and losing.

The thing I like best is, because FB calculates your TDEE, you are never really eating the same amount of calories a day, so you are constantly shaking your body up.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MFP has predicted that I will burn 2500 calories today (including BMR / TDEE) just from me going to work (I'm a cleaner so I walk lots) plus doing some grocery shopping. Love those days. No need to exercise specifically when you are burning that many calories. Not eating those calories back either.
  • hep275
    hep275 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been using Fitbit and MFP since 5th Jan and I've lost a stone (and hopefully a bit more when I weigh in tomorrow!) - I'm don't wear my fitbit on days when I'm at work which is usually 3 days a week - but do make sure I get out for a walk when I come home - my calorie allowance is obviously lower those days but most days I'm generally eating between 1500 and 2000 cals and my burn rate varies between 2000 and 3000. From my personal experience using the two together does work.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use both together,and although I am in maintenance, I find the numbers they both give me are correct. I haven't gained a pound.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    txrn123 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's prob just that when I started MFP a few months ago I solely went by their daily cal limit of like 1350 and since adding FB and all my activity is added in, the daily allowed cals have been bumped up by 300 to 500 cals each day. I'm averaging 11,000 to 12,000 steps a day cuz I'm a nurse and am on the go a lot. It just worries me that I am going to over eat and I've done so well with MFP so far.
    Anyone use both MFP and FB together and start to backslide?
    Do you have your MFP profile set to active for job? It'll offset FB input based on settings. FB can be adjusted as well to allow for lifestyle/job.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use them together and find my Fitbit calorie burn to be fairly accurate (so far, just switched to a HR model last month...before that slightly on the low side with non-HR model used for over a year).
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just set my MFP to sedentary so that it's pretty accurate based on how much I move. But I'm not obsessed with calories anyway. I think just being aware and mindful of what you are eating and ensuring you are moving your body enough you'll do just find. Be gentle with yourself!
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the input. I have MFP set at lightly active and not active...I was hesitant to use the active option because, honestly, on my off days I can't see myself doing 10,000+ steps or running around like I do at work. My exercise schedule has been off lately due to vacation and then bad weather so I haven't had my FB long enough to clock my off days' exercises yet.
    I'm also kinda confused with which tile is for what...where is the BMR tile and the TDEE tile? I've gotten spoiled by the MFP display where it's all laid out in a certain way. I guess I'm just wanting it too simple..like each tile to specifically say bmr or TDEE.
  • kuranda10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The "Calories burned" tile will tell you what FitBit thinks your TDEE will be for the day.
    The number you actually burn is your actual TDEE.

I can't remember where the BMR is hidden, but here is MFPs calculator. There are two methods to calculate, one is a bit more accurate than the other one, but I can't remember which one is which, so I just use this one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation.

This is the Harris Benedict formula
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • kuranda10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is an interesting calculator I found in a different thread.
    I plugged in my numbers and ist seems to be "not crazy"
    You can also pick which "plan" you follow and it changes your suggested macros accordingly

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/