Transfer Addictions

Options
thin2be2013
thin2be2013 Posts: 49 Member
You know how everyone in the WLS community will warn about transfer addictions......even my surgeons office discussed it in pre-op sessions. I have been totally aware this can occur and been trying very hard NOT to let it happen...BUT...I have found myself addicted to ordering health food ....seriously over ordering online....I am so addicted to scanning Netrition.com and Amazon for anything I think will benefit my sleeve and just in the past few days realized this may be an issue for me. I mean to tell you I can spend hours trying to find healthy food hauls on you tube...then going to my 2 favorite sites to try and buy them....I have sooooo much "healthy food" stock piled it is ridiculous bordering on the edge of insane! My reasoning to myself is....I will eventually consume it....gotta buy food somewhere, so it might as well be healthy.....I just counted the containers of protein shake powders I have and it is 12!! I am not even going to count the high protein crackers, breads, soups, bars, syrups, milks, chips, cookies, ect. AND I am fighting the urge to go on netrition.com to look around again....mind you I just got a huge order in like 2 days ago!! I think I need an intervention LOL Does anyone else have a transfer addiction you are willing to share?

Hi, my name is Sandra and I am a health food addict.... ;) This month....March my goal is to NOT order anything more off netrition.com!! If I ain't got it....I don't need it!!

Replies

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't been buying anything but I did start collecting recipes. That has subsided now I was concerned about it. At my last appointment with the psychologist, we talked about this. My psychologist said that I was making a lot of changes in my life right now, and to wait and see. Sure enough that obsession has faded away.
  • thin2be2013
    Options
    ac7nj ~ At my 1 year follow up appt. I was asked about transfer addictions , but I did not see it as an issue then (although I was ordering then) I am truly hoping it is because of the weather....for instance snowed in today, hopefully once I can get back to my walking routine, things will calm down in my boredom, thus less ordering. :-)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    At 14 wks out I haven't noticed anything, but it is at the forefront of my brain. My fear is as I become happier with myself I will want to shop all the time. Clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc. I am trying very hard to be aware of what I am doing. I don't want "mindless" eating to become "mindless" shopping.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have quite the stash of P28 bread and PowerCrunch bars myself, bu those are "go-to" foods for me when I'm lazy and they're better than the alternative, (frozen biscuits and cookies). The shopping thing, I kind of went through that as well when I was dropping sizes rapidly and right after, filling out the rest of my wardrobe again, but that's pretty much passed now. Do I WANT to shop all the time? Absolutely! But I can't afford it so have to reign that in!
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 5 1/2 months out and my addiction became exercise. I suppose there could be worse addictions, but it got bad. I would work out hard everyday, but to the point that the workouts were no longer benefiting me. My body wasn't recovering and I hurt all the time.

I couldn't let myself slow down, though. For the first time in my life, I was able to exercise, and I enjoyed it. I just "knew" that if I slowed down, I would eventually stop, and logically I would balloon back up 80 lbs over night.

I had a running partner who has been training me for the last couple of months. He got so frustrated with me for not listening to him about rest, that he quit on me. Said he wouldn't just sit back and watch me injure myself. We would have planned rest days, and I would run in secret. Not much of a secret, though, because my husband would rat me out each time!

It was clearly an addiction, but I'm much better now! It takes a lot of effort, but I now only exercise 4-5 days a week. I did end up hurting myself and was unable to move for several days, and guess what? I didn't gain my weight back! Shocking. I needed that forced break to make me realize that my new level of fitness isn't just temporary.
  • thin2be2013
    Options
    loriloftness ~ I know my awareness of the transfer addiction of wanting to clothes shop ect has always been in my foremost thought also that it could and does happen to a lot of WLS'ers....I think that is why I did not even think about stock-piling protein food as a problem for such a long time....but as you said "mindless" shopping hit it right on the nose for me with the netrition problem I have.
  • thin2be2013
    Options
    bikrchk ~ When you mentioned the P28 bread....my immediate thought was "hmmmm wonder if that is better than the protein bread I have" LOL...... but nope not even going to look it up to see what it is about....got 3 loaves of protein bread in freezer right now o:) Going to be good this time.
  • thin2be2013
    Options
    jrnguyen ~ I just wish I could get slightly addicted to exercise.... I have the exact opposite issue with that....I have to make myself do it. Kuddo's on you realizing it was an issue and you overcame it...that is a huge accomplishment. :-)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't think this is an issue for me because I have the same addictions I had pre surgery save one. Ice Cream. I have not had ice cream in 4 years now (surgery was 3.5 years ago) and do not plan on reintroducing it into my life again. I couldn't control it prior to surgery, don't want to find out it's still a trigger and I can't control it now.

Other than that I am still addicted to coffee, no change there except the sleeved tummy no longer likes it black. I still love the taste of black coffee, but the tummy insists on at least a little cream now. I have to limit the coffee or I won't get my water in at all.

And, presurgery, when depressed, stressed or angry I wanted to eat, shop and sleep in that order. Post surgery, when depressed, stressed or angry I no longer want to eat, in fact I will tend to under eat because I just don't care about what I'm supposed to be getting in when I'm in that kind of a mood. I have no clue what changed in this, but I'm not complaining. So, I still want to shop and sleep. Sleep is OK, but I really have to watch my shopping, on-line or in-store. Really can't afford to spend like I want to when I'm in that mood.
  • thin2be2013
    Options
    pawoodhull ~ IMO you have this vsg lifestyle down to an art! I have you as a friend on here and I always look at your diary....you have done so well! I just hope when I am out as far as you, I can say the same about me. It is strange for me...on-line health food shopping vs. in-store health food shopping. Oh I will spend a lot of time in the health food sections, especially at Kroger....but don't tend to want to buy like I do on-line. I never have been a fashionista and really doubt if I ever will be....thank goodness my on-line stuff doesn't evolve around clothes. LOL
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Pat: This is a little off topic, but I remember early on we had a conversation about our mutual love of icecream. I wanted to incorporate it back into my diet in small, controlled amounts. You advised me to be careful of opening that can of worms back up. Well guess what-- my stomach doesn't like ice cream. I have tried a few spoonfuls on 4 occasions (even a gelato) and it just doesn't sit well. So, I have accepted that ice cream is not going to be in my diet. Could it be that in the future it would sit better-- maybe. But to me there is no purpose served in trying to force myself to eat it again. It's just a head thing, not a stomach thing. Good bye ice cream.
  • Vauxin
    Vauxin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would like to think mine is exercising as well, on off days I find myself thinking about how much I am going to deadlift, bench, etc, tomorrow., That and browsing supplements on sale somewhat like you, i have 4 5lbs tubs of protein at the moment lol.
  • thin2be2013
    Options
    Vauxin ~ Glad to see I am not the only one with a lot protein powders ;)