Simplify your deadlift

Options
psych101
psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
Hi badass ladies

This came up this morning on Bret's facebook page and I found it really good for a simple setup and explanation of Deads

http://bretcontreras.com/simplify-your-deadlift/

Man I love deads

Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It helped a lot!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Wow, I appreciate this post. I see I have some tweaking to do. Thanks
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to read this a few more times before moving up in my deadlift again.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!!
  • giusa
    Options
    Followed his recommendations yesterday while performing my deadlift, which helped tremendously, thanks again for posting.

Each hand faces differently, where in StrongLifts video both hands face the same, is this style or performance?
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My palms face inwards when I deadlift. I don't really think it makes a difference so long as you get your form right and your hands hold the bar. Others may say different.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It is a grip strength issue.
    Do overhand as long as you can, but most people find that their grip starts failing them before they hit their strength limit with DL. I find my grip starts failing around 135-145 lbs, so I switch to mixed grip after that. It is more secure.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Yep try overhand as long as you can. I have to switch to mixed grip around 165lbs
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I just started noticing issue with grip at 150 and will be looking to try the mixed grip as I progress.
  • giusa
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I'll have to remember that when I get to that point...
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I have actually always used a mixed grip, since that's how I was taught. I do try to switch the over/under-hand between sets just to have some balance. I don't really have too many grip issues yet (highest pull is 180 lbs., so far, and grip was fine.)

Is it worth it for me to try to do my warmups with double-overhand, or does it matter at this point?
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Interesting read. I'm like Crabada, so always a mixed grip. The really light warm up weights I do overhanded, but starting around the 100#+ mark, I use mixed grip. I can bare hand the bar up to about 185#, then I have to use the straps- my highest pull so far is 225#. Been working back up to that for a couple months now.... :\ Last time 195#. Soon, very soon.....
    I'm gonna try setting my hands closer together on the bar and see how that goes next time. I'm pretty close to what he describes, but my grip is past shoulder width.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    @crabada‌ I would start doing an overhand grip warming up/as high as you can to help increase your grip strength. Otherwise, mixed is fine.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Great video. Thanks!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Am I weird because I find the mixed grip really difficult? I have been trying with my dominant overhand and weaker hand underhand and my weak hand I feel like I almost sloughed all the skin off. So painful. My grip seemed way weaker.
    I can't seem to continue with overhand grip though so it's a conundrum
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    straps. Cheap, useful, and they come in hot pink.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm committed now to just strengthening my grip overall. I ordered some grippers from Amazon and am going to try some grip accessories, like just plain hanging from the bar
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I use an overhand grip for all everything except the workset, where I use a mixed grip. I can't remember where I read to do that (Starting Strength, possibly?). Mixed grip feels more secure for me, so it's nice not to have worry about grip on the workset.

@threnjen is it possible that the bar is travelling a little in your non-dominant hand? I found this video helpful on placement of the bar in the hand.
    youtu.be/bTqNSgCmM2s
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks...will have to check this out!
  • giusa
    Options
    Deadlift question...starting point is suppose to be mid sheen. Not up to 135# so not using 45# and don't have enough weights at home to stack. Mentioned this to a friend and her trainer started her off the bottom peg of the power cage. The height is a little above mid sheen. I tried it using warm up weights and seems easier.

Has anyone else tried to pull from a power rack, any input?