First burger

momkas
momkas Posts: 22 Member
So had a meeting at Buffalo Wild Wings last night. I had the blue and black burger. I only ate the meat with the blue cheese. I'm not sure if I ate too fast or if it was the food itself, but I got sick within 10 minutes of finishing. That was a first for me at 8 weeks post op. Still feeling nauseous this morning.

Replies

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Ouch. Yah, the first time it happened to me was an unpleasant surprise for sure. At 8 weeks post op, I could not have finished that burger. I'm not sure that I could now at 13 wks post-op. It could be that you ate too fast, that you ate too much, you didn't chew a piece enough and it got stuck, or maybe it was too greasy/heavy. I hope you get better today.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Maybe it was too soon for beef. I was told no red meat until 6 months out. I'm at 10months almost 11 now and have no problems with beef.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2015
    At six months out I still can't eat a whole burger patty, especially with cheese. Aim for 1/4 to 1/2 the burger (if I wanted cheese, I'd do 1/4 and the side veggies). Your protein portion should be 1-2 oz, not 3-4. That's just too much for your tiny tummy!

ETA: Eating at restaurants has been one of the biggest challenges for me over the past months. My big self is reading the menu, but my little sleeve can't manage much at all. I'm just now getting to the point where I don't feel ill after going out. I order off the appetizer menu, or ask for a box early on. I try to always order a simple protein/veg meal unless it is *very* small. I've also tried not to feel guilty for not making the most of my money when I go out to eat. It's ok to bring food home...or not. I usually do, but let someone else eat it.
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    At six months out I still can't eat a whole burger patty, especially with cheese. Aim for 1/4 to 1/2 the burger (if I wanted cheese, I'd do 1/4 and the side veggies). Your protein portion should be 1-2 oz, not 3-4. That's just too much for your tiny tummy!

I would advice not telling other people what their stomach can and cannot handle. Everyone's surgery is different and comments such as this can just make a person feel needlessly guilty. I am 5 months out but have been able to easily handle 4-5 oz of protein plus an ounce or 2 of sides since the beginning. I've still lost 85 lbs, no issues. I've also only thrown up once, and that was literally just days ago due to my own negligence.

OP, beef can be one of the hardest foods to process early on, so just go slow. As you get further out, you'll be able to tolerate more. Drink plenty of water today and you'll feel better in no time.
  • jrnguyen wrote: »

I would advice not telling other people what their stomach can and cannot handle. Everyone's surgery is different and comments such as this can just make a person feel needlessly guilty. I am 5 months out but have been able to easily handle 4-5 oz of protein plus an ounce or 2 of sides since the beginning. I've still lost 85 lbs, no issues. I've also only thrown up once, and that was literally just days ago due to my own negligence.

OP, beef can be one of the hardest foods to process early on, so just go slow. As you get further out, you'll be able to tolerate more. Drink plenty of water today and you'll feel better in no time.

Thank you for saying this. I too have been able to tolerate more protein and liquids (not at the same time of course), than most and was thinking that there must be something not right with my sleeve...yet I'm losing weight just fine. This makes me feel better. Thanks for sharing. I've also had no problems tolerating any foods at all, including beef.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    jrnguyen wrote: »

Ok, then strike "That's too much for your tiny tummy," which is the only part that specifically pertains to what the OP can or cannot do. Otherwise, what I said holds--I can't eat a whole burger. She said a whole burger made her sick for more than a single evening. That's pretty much the definition of "can't eat a whole burger." If she aimed to eat half or a quarter of that, she might find that she could indeed eat beef--just less of it at a time. If it still makes her sick, then "can't eat beef yet" is likely the answer. Nothing in my statement was judgmental or intended to cause guilt. It was a statement of fact (what I can do) and an opinion of what might make it easier or better for her.

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    edited February 2015
    Don't forget that you are probably not use to that much grease at one time as well. Plus like others have mentioned beef, even when ground up is one of the more dense proteins.
    Good luck next time, just take tiny bites, chew slowly and enjoy. :D
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Ground beef is easier to digest for me than steak for instance, but I wasn't able to eat an entire burger with or without cheese at you point. As jrngyun pointed out, everyone is different, so what I will say is it could have been too much, or too greasy or even that you ate too fast. My advice? Figure out what your full cue is and once you do, don't eat anything after you get that cue. For me it's the feeling that I need to burp. Once I feel that, I'm done eating even if I do actually burp. Anything more is going to be a problem and could cause me to be sick. I will also say "Good job!" in eating the bruger without the bun and fries, etc. Eating out can be a challenge and you took the protein part for your dinner leaving the rest. Again, Good job!!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    It could be that you ate to quick (that is ususally my issue :( ). Beef can be harder to digest and their burgers may be fattier than what you are used to. Eating out is so hard even when we are doing our best to make good choices.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    It's early for you and you probably over did it on quantity, consistency and grease. It can take a while to tolerate meats in general but that will get better. My best advice is when you re-introduce a food, do it at home first so you have the tools to weigh\measure, can control the content and aren't "out" if it doesn't go well. Eat half of your mini-portion and wait 15 min. if you think you can do a bite more, go for it, but you'll probably find you were "done" with less.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    bikrchk has great advise about trying a new food at home!
    It is all a trial and error until you can find your comfort zone.
  • momkas
    :D good to know. Thank you
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    1/2 lb 75/25 burger would be like 660 calories. too much for me
  • momkas
    I, obviously was not able to eat the entire thing. However, live and learn.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Trial and error. For me; I avoided meals like that at 8 weeks but everyone is different. Now at 18 months I still avoid the bigger burgers and have found that if we try to keep serving sizes of meat to 4oz I can eat most anything. That said sometimes I log in 1.5 or 2 servings (6 to 8 oz) if that's more accurate.

Good luck with the process.