There Is No Such Thing As Bad Food

Options
Nony_Mouse
Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
So, I got myself embroiled in a thread with this title over on one of the forums today (closed now, don't look unless you have a LOT of time, that sucker got to over 40 pages!!). Usual story, some innocent newbie posted that they'd heard this thing that, really, you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight so long as you're at a deficit. Needless to say an all out war ensued between those advocating moderation (no such thing as bad food) and the 'clean' eaters who think we're all going to die early and never lose weight if we eat ice cream, oh and that anyone advocating moderation only eats pizza and twinkies (and the aforementioned ice cream). As I was reading through the thread, someone raised that this saying, there is no such thing as bad food, comes from eating disorder recovery, because that is what people with EDs need to learn. And it totally is.

I was trying to get to the end of the thread before adding any thoughts, and flicking between laughter at some of the idiotic things being touted and sheer annoyance, and then totally lost it at one post and hit 'quote'. I pretty much said that those people spouting on about bad foods and the need to cut certain things out are feeding eating disorders (and I yelled it in capital letters :p ). And I genuinely believe that they are. I see so many mostly young women arriving on MFP every week, with clearly screwed up restrictive eating, in total denial, who will hook onto anything that tells them what they are doing is a-ok.

So, if I can give those of you still struggling with this monster on a daily basis one take home message, it's that. There is no such thing as bad food.

Replies

• minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That is a great message. Unless there is a medical reason to cut out a food, I'm learning that we need food from all food groups, proteins, fats and carbs. I used to be a nonfat eater but am getting over that. I still have foods I'm scared to eat. Here is my I'm not yet ready to eat these things list: cheese, ice cream, any whole fat dairy products, butter, fatty meat, I'll just learned to eat almonds, other nuts are still a no, cookies, cake etc., just learned to eat nut butters, trail mix, juice, soda and I could go on forever. It does make it hard to go out or eat at other people's houses. Just this sunday my exercise instructor mentioned that I looked too skinny and that I've lost weight since working out with her. She was encouraging me to eat more proteins and fats. I totally support your post. Keep sharing your message when you can. I'd never want others to end up with this wall around them like I have built. =)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Fat is soooooo important. It's how we absorb a lot of our vitamins and minerals for one. It also helps you to keep feeling full for longer. I actually have my fat macro set at 40% (which, yeah, is probably a bit high (I think 35% is the recommended daily max)). But, y'know, avocado, eggs and cheese!! And my skin is fricking awesome.

Did you know that if rats don't have enough fat in their diet their tail will fall off? True story. We don't want that happening!!

I know it is really hard learning to get over that fear of your former 'forbidden foods' though, hence my post really :). Just build up to it. You're doing great with the almonds Minipony :). Introduce one new thing at a time. Nutrient-dense, high fat foods were actually what I used to pull myself out of my last bout of restrictive eating (four years ago!!). I had been barely eating at all, could not handle any real volume of food, so went small and energy packed - olives (soooo many olives), nuts, avocado - to get my intake back up to a respectable amount calorie-wise.

FWIW, I don't eat full fat milk or yoghurt, but now that's more to do with taste. Plus if I did I might have to cut out some avocado, and that ain't happening!!
  • alskarani
    alskarani Posts: 83
    Options
    Yeah, this is such a foreign concept to me! I have to work on believing that!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    As I said, baby steps. No one expects you to reincorporate everything at once :)

What is one thing you think you could work on reintroducing? Maybe something you really miss?
  • minipony
    Options
    ooooh....that sounds fun actually. Well, I wish I could have a small moderate size frozen yogurt without wanting to eat large tubs and get rid of it. I think I also miss having flatbread type pizza with olive oil, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, basil and chicken. It also has a light sprinkling of cheese. Its a Mediterranean style pizza. So maybe soon I'll try the pizza with a side salad. The salad makes it safer. Thanks Nony--great advice.
  • alskarani
    Options
    I love good cheeses! Like, a geotrichum rinded goat or sheep's milk cheese surrounded by fruit and nuts on a plate. I don't know if I'm brave enough to do it, but I can go to the store and take a look and see if it seems manageable.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Both of those sound fantastic! Mmmm, pizza...I really should work out the breakdown of my pizza base recipe, see if I can work that in on occasion (I think I mentioned I have to watch my carbs b/c of PCOS, so it would defs need to be a sometimes food).
  • alskarani
    Options
    Have you considered a cauliflower crust? :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I have heard of this thing! Haven't tried it yet, but yes, that is definitely a way for me to have low carb pizza :D.
  • hilbertgirl
    hilbertgirl Posts: 43
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! As someone with a former ED (does it ever really go away???), I was nervous about getting back on MFP because the last time it led me to a self-hating spiral where if I went one GRAPE over my carbs for the day I would purge. The thought of logging and seeing all the "bad" foods I allow myself to eat now was terrifying and I don't really know how to diet the proper way (portion control). One taste of forbidden food after not allowing it for weeks would send me into a weekend long binge. In the last 24 hours I've become friends with people who share their diaries and show donuts, wine, bread, pasta, all the "bad" stuff but at the top of their profiles they are losing weight!! This has been an amazing thing for me to see for myself that restriction leads to bingeing, and I can still lose weight if I have a single donut surrounded by healthy eating. It's a reprogramming of how food is viewed.
  • minipony
    Options
    I'm so glad you are back hilbertgirl. And this is the place to share everything that is in your head with no judgement. We understand. I feel so much better knowing I can have any thoughts and share them and not have people think its weird. Do you have any goals for yourself. Mind right now is to stop night eating and I had a few slip ups, but posting my progress has really helped and I'm verging on three great days!!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Hilbertgirl, that is exactly what kept me from doing anything about my creeping weight gain for three years! Fear that I would fall back into unhealthy weight loss habits. Then I packed on several kilos more in the second half of last year and enough was enough. I consider myself as recovered as it gets (unless there are some lucky ones out there who recovered and now don't give it a second thought). I'm finding this group good for a checks and balances kind of thing, to stop myself from slipping into restrictive behaviour (cos I always start out perfectly healthy with weight loss, and then...). Plus I like being able to support others going through recovery and share things that helped me :). I also feel that I need to be practicing what I preach here, and that means eating well and staying healthy.
  • minipony
    Options
    I agree. Last night I ate more then I wanted to. I didn't eat in the night but my roommate wanted to go for ice cream. That is such a trigger food for me. Eventually I'd like to reincorporate it back into my life, but for now I think I should put it on hold. Anyhow, this am I thought to myself, I'm going to exercise extra to burn off those calories. However, I didn't. I did my regular class and ate regular today. It was hard to do. Like Nony I'm trying to be in recovery. It's funny how fast old habits come back.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Good for you MP :)

Last night I had to make myself not go for my regular walk (knee was playing up, it would have been stupid to exercise on it). Little voice in my head said 'you have to or you won't lose weight!'. Big voice said 'yeah, not true idiot'.
  • minipony
    Options
    That is good you are able to separate your voices. I need to start doing that and making the positive voice win.