To HR or not

Options
kscm02
kscm02 Posts: 24 Member
I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Flex, I'm not really interested in the Charge feature of it notifying me of calls but I do like the idea of the heartrate monitor feature. Has anyone had either or both and a preference?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit Flex for a couple of years, and I love it. I ordered a Charge HR on January 6, but Fitbit says it won't ship 'til the end of this month.
  • Fooby2
    Fooby2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love the HR part the most. Nothing I don't like so far and had it 3 weeks:) love the connection with MFP makes life a little more fun, or should say makes exercise more fun
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I went from the One to the HR. I really like it.
    It doesn't just give me credit for doing the steps, it also gives me credit for doing the steps, going up hill in 34 C heat (Greatly elevated HR)
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I currently have the Charge HR and love love love it. I had the Flex and while I like it, I couldn't seem to keep the darn thing on my arm. I ended up losing it. So my main reason for buying the HR was the watch-like strap and I am so glad I did now. I even like that it notifies me of in-coming calls. If I am anywhere in my house and my phone rings, I'll know it.
  • johnpurvis55
    Options
    Moved from a one to a charge to a charge HR. I'm a cardiologist so was interested in the HR side. It's worked very well during walks and hikes with rucksacks. It's been nice to see my resting HR come down as I get fitter.
  • Gelandewagen
    Gelandewagen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with all the HR comments above. The caller ID function can be handy as well.

I find I'm getting much more from my workouts (and everyday life) by keeping an eye on my heart rate patterns.
  • kspenglermoore
    kspenglermoore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit flex for a year and have noticed that it does not calculate exercise like biking, swimming, rowing, the treadmill and the eliptical very well. Since then I have bought a polar heartrate monitor with chest strap that calculates my calories burnt during exercise. That is according to my fitness advisor at the Ft Hood Army wellness center the most accurate way of doing it. I was struggling with the adjustments the fitbit was making on MFP. I now record my exercise in my fitbit and things seem to be working much better. I know, there is a new fitbit with build in HR out, but I am not so sure on that. I have read on multiple reviews (including some that were done with an EKG attached to the test person) that the HR taken by wrist tools are not as accurate. So for now I am sticking with the cheststrap HR monitor and the fitbit flex and waiting what the reviews for the new device say. I do like my fitbit flex. It keeps me moving during the day and that counts for a lot to me. I have lost almost 105 lbs in 10 month and have been keeping the weight off for another 3 month. So my system seems to be working well. At almost 50 I am back to the weight I was at 15 and I am actually in a smaller clothing size then at 15 due to having extra muscle vs fat....good luck on the journey to healthier lifestyle, better fitness level and weight loss to all :-)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    edited: I have lost almost 105 lbs in 10 month and have been keeping the weight off for another 3 month. So my system seems to be working well. At almost 50 I am back to the weight I was at 15 and I am actually in a smaller clothing size then at 15 due to having extra muscle vs fat....good luck on the journey to healthier lifestyle, better fitness level and weight loss to all :-)

Just an amazing accomplishment. Well done! Keeping it off is the real challenge and it seems to be happening for you as well. Congrats!!
    starburst_multicolor.gif

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I love Fitibt devices overall, but I could not get the HR on the Surge to work for me, unfortunately. I am going back to my chest strap and old fitness tracker.
  • lisabee77
    lisabee77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a flex for a week and did not like it. Then I bought a one right before the Charge HR announcement came. I have waited patiently for Plum but was told the date was pushed back to June so I bought it in black.
    I only kept the flex for a week before switching to the one because, I have an older phone and it does not sync with it. I only knew within 2000 steps where I was for the day. That wasn't good enough for me. I want to see real number, not flashing polka dots. I love the Charge HR and it did a fabulous job this morning during my workout. I only wish you could lock the display so you can see the timer and/or the HR on a constant basis - I would be okay charging it more often for that feature.
  • wldchld09
    wldchld09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lisabee77 wrote: »
    I had a flex for a week and did not like it. Then I bought a one right before the Charge HR announcement came. I have waited patiently for Plum but was told the date was pushed back to June so I bought it in black.

Ugh I am so frustrated by this!! I ordered mine in Feb... I wonder If I should just order the black. I am without a fitbit right now because I sent my force back with the recall option...
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit flex for a year and have noticed that it does not calculate exercise like biking, swimming, rowing, the treadmill and the eliptical very well. Since then I have bought a polar heartrate monitor with chest strap that calculates my calories burnt during exercise. That is according to my fitness advisor at the Ft Hood Army wellness center the most accurate way of doing it. I was struggling with the adjustments the fitbit was making on MFP. I now record my exercise in my fitbit and things seem to be working much better. I know, there is a new fitbit with build in HR out, but I am not so sure on that. I have read on multiple reviews (including some that were done with an EKG attached to the test person) that the HR taken by wrist tools are not as accurate. So for now I am sticking with the cheststrap HR monitor and the fitbit flex and waiting what the reviews for the new device say. I do like my fitbit flex. It keeps me moving during the day and that counts for a lot to me. I have lost almost 105 lbs in 10 month and have been keeping the weight off for another 3 month. So my system seems to be working well. At almost 50 I am back to the weight I was at 15 and I am actually in a smaller clothing size then at 15 due to having extra muscle vs fat....good luck on the journey to healthier lifestyle, better fitness level and weight loss to all :-)

1. Congrats on your loss, I'm hoping I can hit that same goal actually. I'm down 90 since June 5th (9 months)
    2. My wife got fitbit to replace her chargeHR and they said to recycle the old one (issue counting extra steps and such) but just ran today and my strap had me burning 552, fitbit said 602. If you don't eat back all calories it should be OK, but the difference kinda worries me.
  • 71_supergirl
    71_supergirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had the HR for a few days now and was really excited about it...but...it really doesn't keep my hr for a true count of cal burned. Most of my workouts are high intensity and what it tells me I burned is just ridiculously low. I've tried wearing it on the inside of my arm. 'm really disappointed because all I really wanted it for was to track my calories burned per exercise and it just doesn't work Plus during all yesterday and overnight my clock display is like 40 minutes behind?? It didn't track my BB Bulk Chest workout tonight so I think i'm going to return it :(
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

[/quote] 2. My wife got fitbit to replace her chargeHR and they said to recycle the old one (issue counting extra steps and such) but just ran today and my strap had me burning 552, fitbit said 602. If you don't eat back all calories it should be OK, but the difference kinda worries me. [/quote]

How can you know which is the right one though? Truth probably lies between the 2. Polar isn't totally accurate either and we all differ slightly on metabolism.. Best to pick something you have faith in I guess.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know which to trust tbh, but lots of people complain about wrong readings. I guess as long as you don't eat back all exercise calories, you'll be fine. I personally don't like the strap, especially when it comes unhooked during a workout or worse a run when I can't stop to fix it