Help :-/ How to recover after a binge.

Options
minipony
minipony Posts: 194 Member
Yesterday I had a big panic attack at work. Luckily, it was a half-day and I was just working in my classroom. I had to go home and I called my doctor. He did up my meds for anxiety and I thought I was better that night. However, I woke up about three,had about 4 cups airpopped popcorn, which turned into a little bit more popcorn, One cookie, one protein bar, for chewy vitamin C's, and some dry cocoa powder. Then I went back to sleep and woke up one more time and had a llight piece of toast with peanut butter. I don't even want to count how many calories that was. Of course now I feel completely guilty because I never do that. Is there way to redeem myself and feel better about myself and not have a horrible day tomorrow, or should I say today? Any advice would be great.

Replies

• minipony
    Options
    I was thinking of counting how many calories that was, and exercising that long tomorrow, or what is today.
  • MacCroc
    MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I feel like coulting helps, if you don't count you are more then likely to get off track for a few days.
    Honestly, to me that doesn't sound like a massive binge, if you count the calories you will probably find that you are still under your TDEE. You can also try to deduct the excess calories from your norm for today - don't restrict too much though. Hope you feel better!
  • alskarani
    alskarani Posts: 83
    Options
    Could you call your nutritionist and tell her everything, and then see what she recommends? She'd surely have an opinion, and would probably have better perspective than you do with the fear you feel about it (which I totally understand!) If she tells you to cut back for a day or something, she's probably tell you how to do that in a safe way. But she might tell you to keep going as planned and "forget" about it. Do you think you could decide to trust her, whatever she says?

And I am so sorry about the anxiety attack, that really sucks, I know!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Ugh, panic attacks, so much suck.

I think if you total up what you ate you'll be surprised how little it actually was. Like air-popped popcorn is pretty low. I wouldn't recommend trying to exercise all of it off. First, that's setting yourself up for a new ED behaviour (over-exercising), and also it's like punishment. Have a look back over your week and see how many days you were under your calorie goal (I bet there are a few, though you have been doing really well trying to meet it). Those right there are like money in the bank, so think of this like a spur of the moment 'omg I have to have those shoes' moment.

Also, focus on all the progress you have made. Don't beat yourself up about this. You are human, no one expects perfection :)
  • minipony
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I went for a lovely 4 mile run this am and it felt great. I ran to the dog park and it was fun to see all of them run around. The beautiful cherry blossoms were out and I tried to take in all the beauty around. i3w1f7ye8iei.jpg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better :)
  • minipony
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Glad you are feeling better :)

Thank you
  • hilbertgirl
    Options
    My counselor taught me that the best recovery is to wake up, drink tons of water, and forgive myself. Don't restrict after, as this can lead to a vicious hunger/binge cycle...also, exercising to make up for it is a form of bulimia. The next time this strikes think HALTS..are you Hungry...you may legit be hungry and need to be feeding yourself very high volume foods (think a huge bowl of salad or celery) Angry, Lonely, Tired, or Stressed. By identifying what I'm really feeling it (sometimes) helps me treat what's really going on instead of bingeing (stay in and take a nap if I'm tired, go visit my parents if I'm lonely, etc). Hope this helps. It's tough I know
  • minipony
    Options
    Thank you hilbertgirl and welcome. I did really well the next day. I drank a lot of water, went for a run and ate very healthy. I'm right back on track. It's hard for me right now because my doctor has been changing my antidepressants to try to find which one will help. I feel like my emotions are a roller coaster. One minute I'm feeling ok, then very sad, then panicky etc. I do need to remember that food only makes my thinking and things in general worse. Or I guess I should safe overeating food.
  • hilbertgirl
    Options
    It's tough when meds are being moved around. Glad you're feeling better! Running is so therapeutic :)
  • minipony
    Options
    It's tough when meds are being moved around. Glad you're feeling better! Running is so therapeutic :)

Yes, the day the find the exact dose and medication I am going to dance circles in the street. I've been doing this ups and down thing for almost a year now.