"Non-Dairy" Creamer my *&%$!

Options
Lowell_Zapata
Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
:# Just got a nasty jolt when my last food pacifier (non-dairy coffee creamer) was revealed to contain casein, a milk product no matter how I slice it. Silly me, assuming that "non-dairy" meant "no dairy products"....

We COULD discuss the duplicity of our trusted food corporations, and our (above reproach) USDA...but what's the point? It's my personal responsibility to be informed about what goes in my body.. My label reading has just gone to the next level!

Replies

• Lowell_Zapata
    Options
    Hey! :(
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was really disappointed to find this out as well. It's just like the veggie cheese in the produce section at my grocery that also has casein. Wtf?! Who are they gearing that towards?
    I've read labels for a long time, but yeah it has gone to a whole different level!
  • fat2fitvegan
    fat2fitvegan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Casein was my nemesis for a while and it kept popping up in the most annoying places ("veggie" cheese, here's to you).

With that being said, the Silk plain soy creamer is pretty decent. I wouldn't recommend the french vanilla flavor though.
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I really like SO Delicious' hazelnut creamer. Might be a good alternative for you.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love Silk creamer. Although since I've been tracking again I've cut down the amount I use and use some of that and some regular almond milk.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Awwww that is a bummer! Sometimes it is tricky, things will say “lactose free” but then they still have dairy. Annoying! A few people have mentioned the Silk creamer – I love it. The French Vanilla and the plain are both really good and creamy.
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Options
    Thanks you guys.....I found a really good one at Whole Foods from a company called "Califia"..Hazelnut is very tasty!
  • eabiss9
    eabiss9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try out this clean at home recipe. It rocks!

Btw im new to this group...im erika. Ive veen a veg head since 2008 and have maintained a clean diet since summer 2014. Im a lifter but will do cardio a few days a week despite loathing it!

http://www.slightlysteady.com/homemade-dairy-free-coffee-creamer/
  • eabiss9
    eabiss9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I cook a LOT and stick to clean vegan recipes. I have weeded out the good and the bad.. if anyone is in need of clean veg recipes check out my board!

www.pinterest.com/erikab2006/pinterest-success-stories/
  • silkribbonx
    silkribbonx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i love so delicious coconut - french vanilla flavour :3
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Options
    eabiss9 wrote: »
    I cook a LOT and stick to clean vegan recipes. I have weeded out the good and the bad.. if anyone is in need of clean veg recipes check out my board!

www.pinterest.com/erikab2006/pinterest-success-stories/

I shall, thank you!