Core Training Question

Options
STrooper
STrooper Posts: 659 Member
Recently, I have not given a lot of focus on specific core training exercises. Prior to getting back to running in 2013, I had spent three years in building up my cardio capacity through walking, hiking, and backpacking. One of the side benefits of tromping around with a pack that ranged in weight anywhere from 10-60 pounds (depending upon which pack I was using) was that I had to build some core strength just to manage hours with the pack.

I still hike about with a pack that varies in weight (though I don't necessarily track that the way I used to), as running has become my primary tracking exercise.

And another of the benefits is that it has provided some definition in my abdominal muscles (no, not six-pack abs). That took a couple of years to realize. Although there is still some fat and saggy skin (which I'm probably stuck with), there is some of that classic abdominal definition that one can identify as belonging to a runner. The combination of hefting the pack and running has helped maintain that.

However, as I have gotten faster in both my training and my racing, I have noticed that the stress lower abdominal muscles and/or ligaments has increased. After the last race, my lower abdomen felt stiff and overused. Initially, I though it was the oblique muscles, but now I think it is actually the ligaments that are showing some pain. And I put additional stress on them by running in snow and ice which required a different stride to keep from falling. While the pain goes away after a couple of days after a more stressful training run, when I get started on the next run, it is noticeable until I get well warmed up.

Matt Fitzgerald has some suggested training exercises (5 for everyone and 5 for runners) and I have started to incorporate them into my routine.

My last marathon distance race for this spring is 5 weeks from now (I will drop to half-marathon distances and shorter after that until next fall). There isn't a lot of time between now and then to do a lot of core training. But beyond that, I want to address this before it gets out of hand.

So, given that, my question is this: how much core training do you do as a dedicated runner? Do you doing it certain running or non-running days? And what exercises work best for you?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I dont really do any dedicated core work since I follow ICF 5x5 which has the big compound lifts. I also try to do yoga and the dvd I use has some planks. But thats about it
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I do a regular pilates class.
  • chriscm70
    chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a really basic strength and core routine I do at home 3 times a week for about 25-30 minutes. It's mostly body weight except for dumbbells for bench rows and a resistance band for clamshells... and a stopwatch for not cheating on my planks ;-)
    It helps a lot, both for running and just in general. I had some back pain that is almost completely gone after a couple of months of doing them consistently. I also feel like I actually USE my core more now than before, even just sitting in a chair or driving.
    It's all basic stuff, with some extra focus on hips for me.
    If you are interested in details I would be happy to send them to you.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ive started doing yoga almost every night for 60-90mins ive felt a difference quite quickly i've only been doing it for a couple of weeks.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Squats, squats and more squats. I started with SL 5x5 but have modified it more into a circuit training routine - non stop sets switching between muscle groups. I never wanted to do a squat before this (in fact cringed at the idea) but now swear by them. I also do some indoor rowing which works everything.....
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I do core/strength/stability work 2-3 times a week. I've taken to indoor rowing once a week (5000 meters, around 25 minutes) and doing at least 2 strength workouts consisting of push ups, sit-ups, body weight squats, lunges, Russian twists sometimes, and things I personally find useful considering my weaknesses: single leg balances, single leg calf raises, and supermans (yay for activating sleepy glutes!). When I slack on core work, I find myself with knee troubles, so I try to stay on top of it.
  • phil230532
    phil230532 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Years ago, an orthopedic surgeon( who is also a marathoner) treated me for sciatic nerve pain. He said that running weakens the abdominal muscles which support the lower back causing tightness in the lower back. He gave me core exercises and stretches which after one week eliminated the sciatic nerve problem. One comment that he made and I will never forget was " The day you stop doing them, the sciatic problem will start to come back." Therefore I do the exercises and stretches before every hard run work out. With the stronger core and flexibility, my sciatic problem has stayed completely gone. I shared this with other runners and they had the same positive results.