:-) Happy to find you folks! How do you manage fatigue and exercise??

Options
Gilligrrl
Gilligrrl Posts: 3 Member
Hi there!
I was finally diagnosed Oct. 3, 2014, after years of odd symptoms and pain I found hard to describe. Evidently I've had MS for 10 or 15 years according to my Neurologist.
I've used work as my "exercise" all my adult life. MFP looks like a great tool for getting some of my strength back....I gained a lot of weght and lost muscle since I stopped working as a pastry chef a couple of years ago.
Currently I'm taking Rebif to hopefully slow the lesions down. I hated seeing the MRI video of my brain and spine...yikes!
How do you all manage to exercise through the fatigue?
Thanks for reading my ramblings,
Gill

Replies

• whiterosebud
    whiterosebud Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Gill,
    This is Rosemary. The only way I have found to manage exercise and fatigue is to make myself walk in the morning...after coffee. The coffee loosens the muscles and gives an energy boost. I have recently read a 30 minute nap in the afternoon helps most people, so going to give that a try. I follow low carb, adequate protein ...no pastries for me
  • Gilligrrl
    Gilligrrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input Rosemary!
  • bigldesigns
    bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started by pacing my lounge room while watching TV - the TV seemed to distract from the movement a little.. it was like i was relaxing.. but exercising at the same time..

I also found that stopping eating foods that irritated my digestive system, left me less fatigued.. (as is it was like because my tummy was always fighting, that it was using what little energy I had.)
    It meant eating fairly strict for a while till i worked out what left more more tired and what was ok..

Keep a food / symptom diary and see if you can find a link between what you eat and your energy levels (and other symptoms)

I grew up on a dairy farm.. and i was shocked and annoyed to find out that in my case, Dairy was one of the foods that was increasing my fatigue ...

• AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am happy you found this group as well! :)
    I try to work out 4-5 days a week (although I have been lacking over the last couple of months) and sometimes it does get hard. Try doing something like yoga with a friend. It can be relaxing (especially a restorative class). I personally love hot yoga, but tread lightly with that, since most MS'ers are very heat sensitive.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I ride my stationary bike most every day for 45 minutes. I don't go very fast, but I do what I can. It helps. Caffeine once would wake me up and now it's like drinking water. :( It's nice to meet you..
  • Talulahj
    Talulahj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello- I love Yoga and the recumbent bike. I have balance issues to have fallen when walking alone. The recumbent bike allows for stability. Yoga helps me to practice balance. And the stretching is lovely since my I have spasticity in my muscles. I have heard swimming is perfect for those with MS. Eventually the exercise helps the fatigue. I try to put my limited energy into what is more important-and one of those things is exercise. I also had a stem cell transplant for my MS about 9 months ago and since do not have as many issues with heat sensitivity. It helps a lot during my work outs and helps with my fatigue. I also try to eat well and drink lots of water to help combat fatigue. Green tea helps me. And restorative yoga is amazing. You've got this Gill! I am cheering you on!
  • eckelsburrows
    eckelsburrows Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1995, and MS in 2006. I THOUGHT I knew how to manage fatigue as an fibro patient...boy, was I wrong! Since 1995, I have developed a number of other medical problems, so that pain also makes it hard to beat fatigue, lassitude, and getting exercise. I define fatigue as "I am so tired and worn out. I wish I could take a nap." Lassitude I define as "I am laying down right here, right now, and probably falling asleep. If I don't I will collapse."

I battle both kinds everyday, even with the energy boost from ADHD meds. My neurologist has talked a lot about taking frequent rest or nap breaks. My Rehab team tells me to be proud and to track it here if I wheel for 15 minutes, even if it is slowly. (They even said I burn about 60 calories doing so, as I have weight in my bag to add to the chair and my own.)

So, far it is working for me to start small. Try to wheel the dog once a day for 15 minutes. Make sure I track the days I end up wheeling 30 minutes in 4 short stretches going from one doctor to another, or store to store, and once I get to the point I don't need an hour nap after, then try to do 2 wheels a day, etc. I also highly recommend Karaoke singing, and moving your upper body to the songs if you can't dance. Yeah, the next day I have to sleep 2 extra hours, but singing and "dancing" burn a lot of calories!

Good luck...
  • Kittylips
    Kittylips Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I only workout in the morning. That's when I feel the best. By the afternoon I'm going downhill :/
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    My fatigue seems to increase and decrease in different seasons. I usually work out in the morning, too, after coffee and breakfast. It seems like I have to do ongoing experiments to find the "sweet spot" in how much exercise is enough to help me feel better rather than drained for the rest of the day. It seems like 30-45 minutes is good for me as long as I'm not pushing myself too hard.
  • Ddockins
    Ddockins Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Same here. However Im having a hard time getting my motivation back. Spent a week in bed with debilitating fatigue and just cant get back in the groove. But yes, morning exercise works best for me as well. Hopefully soon I can get back to it.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I force myself to do it. I feel better (usually anyhow) after I'm done. Maybe it's psychological? lol
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite of most. I exercise at night- even though I'm tired after a long day I do what I can. Then I can rest well over night. If I exercise in the morning when I feel good, I can over do it, then crash during the day from pushing too hard. I suppose some self imposed limits would help, but I tend to push too hard if I feel well.

With that said, I am just getting back into exercise after a 3 year absence! (had twins, and now they're two.....gotta get going!)
  • marlene9625
    marlene9625 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had ms for about 40 years, and I do my workouts as soon as I can after getting up and having breakfast, and checking in with the Multiple Sclerosis and Exercise group on Facebook. I’m the administrator of the group. I started it in 2011, when I was more mobile and still able to work out at a gym. Now I do seated workouts with Grow Young Fitness plus PT exercises and other moves, I find that exercise gives me more energy in the long run, because having strong muscles makes everything easier.