Question

MscGray
MscGray Posts: 304 Member
Ok ladies...I've just started the program, and am still working on my form for squats and bench press (just using the bar currently) and as expected I have a mild aches. However, I have noticed that one quad seems to be way worse off then the other, It has me very curious. do you think this is happening because I "default" to one leg for more power rather then pushing up evenly distributed? Could it be a form issue?, just using my naturally stronger side? any thoughts would be helpful!!

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    It could be a strength imbalance (meaning one leg is stronger than the other) or it could be a form issue. I personally haven't experienced this, so my guess is a "shot in the dark."
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Could be form or you have one leg weaker than the other...can you video your squats? Form issue might be easier to spot then.

I noticed I was favoring my left leg (which I know is weaker from two knee surgeries) and I would do a few one leg squats (not full squats, just half squats) to "wake up" my leg when I first started Stronglifts.
  • MscGray
    My hubby was able to watch me and noted that I kind of lean to my right when I come up....so I'm thinking since I'm left side is dominant that my left is taking up the bulk of the work. I will definitely try to one leg squats, I was kind of thinking of trying something like that, but wasn't sure if it would have any benefit.....but I will give it a shot!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    They (probably) can't hurt!

It's ok to hang onto a wall or a pole for balance with the one legged squats. They aren't super easy for balance at first. And if you can't do a full squat, even a half squat may help. (Again, this is just IMO, but this worked for my muscle imbalances)
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Is your husband making sure the bar is balanced on your back right in the middle? Sometimes I have problems with the bar being a bit lopsided.
  • MscGray
    I will have him double check next lift day Nancy...that thought never occurred to me either! Thanks!