Top mistakes Post-op VSGers make

Options
duffslove
duffslove Posts: 125 Member
Just wanted to post this here, someone from one of my other support groups posted it today... thought it was a great article and def worth sharing
:)
http://www.bariatric...st-op-mistakes/

Replies

• thin2be2013
    thin2be2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Excellent Post! Thanks for sharing. I have a problem with #8. Not Exercising and #9. Eating Too Many Carbs. I really need to work on these 2 issues. I am keeping that list.... good find thanks!!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I just read that article not to long ago and it hit home for sure. Wish I could have read it when I was soon out of surgery. Thanks for the post and the reminder. :wink:
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I would add one more... Relying on restriction to know when to stop eating. The end goal is to know your sleeve well enough that you never feel the restriction - you stop eating when you know you have eaten what you are capable of. You should feel satisfied and NEVER stuffed. If you know you can eat 6oz comfortably, do not shove 7oz in there and then be surprised and disappointed your sleeve "let" you. Eating past the point of "satisfaction" to the feeling of "full" is why most of use because overweight in the first place. Your stomach is a terrible indicator of how much food you SHOULD be eating. It will do its best to accomodate whatever you DECIDE to shove in there.

• murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been bad about getting in the recommended water and taking my vitamins everyday. this is a good reminder to get back on track. I did this for my health so I'd better take charge and do what I am supposed to.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Great article...thanks for sharing!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    That is a great article. I sometimes drink before a meal and I was told to wait 10 minutes before eating after drinking. Nice to know I can drink up to first bite.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    I would add one more... Relying on restriction to know when to stop eating. The end goal is to know your sleeve well enough that you never feel the restriction - you stop eating when you know you have eaten what you are capable of. You should feel satisfied and NEVER stuffed. If you know you can eat 6oz comfortably, do not shove 7oz in there and then be surprised and disappointed your sleeve "let" you. Eating past the point of "satisfaction" to the feeling of "full" is why most of use because overweight in the first place. Your stomach is a terrible indicator of how much food you SHOULD be eating. It will do its best to accomodate whatever you DECIDE to shove in there.
    Love this. I think it's hard to shake the pre-surgery mindset of eating till we are full, rather than just eating the amount we need.
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Excellent article thanks so much for sharing!
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    aylajane wrote: »
    Love this. I think it's hard to shake the pre-surgery mindset of eating till we are full, rather than just eating the amount we need.

This is SOOO true! 'Eating for my mouth' or eating for gustatory sensation only is a huge part of what got me in trouble in the first place. Pretty sure I have a good handle on knowing my sleeve but I am such the work in progress.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    great article. it reinforces what my dr's have been saying