Charge HR and pushing stroller or shopping cart

Options
kailibertsch
kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
I just upgraded from the Flex to the Charge HR. When I would walk with a stroller or pushing a cart I would put the flex around my belt loop or on my bra. Now, with the HR, I want to make sure my heart rate is monitored. Has anyone noticed the Charge HR doesn't pick up steps from these activities?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex. I only ever take it off to charge, and I lost the weight & have maintained for 8 months.

Trust your Fitbit!
  • margieshoe
    margieshoe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yes, the charge hr wont count steps when I'm pushing s shopping cart unless i push with one hand and keep the fitbit wearing arm free to dangle. it's really annoying especially when my cart get heavy at costco. never thought of putting it on my belt loop; will have to try that. Thanks
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my Charge HR doesn't pick up all my steps when I'm pushing a shopping cart, particularly if I'm walking slowly. I've started pushing with one hand when I can. However, I don't spend so much time pushing a shopping cart that it actually merits worrying about.

Editorgrrl is right - trust your FitBit and don't sweat the small stuff.

If you spend a lot of time pushing a cart or stroller then pick the location of your FitBit based on the general level of effort. If you're walking casually, you'll probably get a slightly more accurate reading with the FitBit on your belt or bra, because your heart rate won't be up anyway, so calorie calculations will be based on steps. If you're working hard enough to get your heart rate into the exercise zone (and keep it there for a bit), then you're better off wearing it on your wrist because it will be able to base calorie calculations on heart rate, rather than steps.

I tried tucking my Charge HR in my bra, with the sensors against my skin a couple of times but concluded that the heart rate it reads that way is inaccurate - too high.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. You are right, I shouldn't worry about the shopping carts. I don't do that enough to worry about the difference. Now that it is nice out again the majority of my exercise is outside walking where I am pushing a stroller, but as you said, it is pretty casual and I can just use the calorie burn info from the step count. I've had my flex for almost a year and loved it. I hope I like the HR just as much!
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR. I find it easier to pull the shopping cart when I'm shopping. Rather than trying to push with one hand. I grab the front and pull it along instead. It's a lot easier.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When I go for a walk, I open the Fitbit app, go to track exercise, and select walk. This way it is using my phones GPS to determine how far I've walked instead of relying on the device for steps. When I finish and sync everything up, it will correct the number of steps on my device based on distance traveled and since I have the Surge will also pull the HR data for that time period. Shopping carts, I don't worry about.

I'd use the GPS on the Surge, but then it's guaranteed to need to be charged as soon as I get home. Half the time I'm not even sure if there is enough battery power for the GPS on it to track the duration of my walk. It really sucks the life out of the Surge battery.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I work in a food factory so I cannot wear my HR at work.......on my wrist anyways....so I wear it on my ankle........I add a strap to it and wrap it round with the HR part just to the right of my right ankle....near the bottom....then I put my sock over it....this works fine for me at work........and I find it more accurate as it does not get arm movements in from general work....I also talk with my arms...lol