Joint Pain

Options
okulyd
okulyd Posts: 147 Member
I have been doing crossfit consistently for the past year. I go 5 times per week, sometimes 6. I have been doing this for 12 months. I can complete pretty much any WOD Rx without scaling but I do scale on occasion depending on how I feel or what skill I want to focus on. Anyway over the past month I have suddenly developed joint pain everywhere. When I wake up in the morning my ankles are so tight that its painful to walk. They losen up as I walk but each time I move from sitting to standing the tightness is there. About a month ago I dislocated my wrist so that still hurts although I am working to strengthen it and its getting better. Then this Tuesday I tweaked my shoulder just doing a warmup so now that also hurts.

Wondering what could possibly be happening since all of these minor injuries/pain are located in a joint. Could this be a problem with diet? Maybe not enough fat? Am I overtraining? Is this just a normal part of crossfit? I am taking MegaRed Joint Care supplement (Krill Oil) but it doesn't seem to be helping. Am I just getting too old (currently 37)? Any ideas?

Replies

• thoseAmericanthighs
    thoseAmericanthighs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How much mobility work do you do? Omega 3's (found in krill and fish oil) are definitely a good supplement, as is glucosamine chondroitin.

A lot of times, people underestimate the importance of mobility work and immediately try to up supplementation. Sometimes, it's a mix of both. It should not be considered a normal part of crossfit. Occasional stiffness, sure, but not daily, painful joints.

When I stretch every morning (at age 25), most of my joints pop and crack, but there's no pain associated with it.

One of my favorite sources of information for mobility is http://www.mobilitywod.com/ or Becoming a Supple Leopard (slightly expensive book but well worth it). I'd say start with mobility work for a month and then start playing with supplementation tweaking.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree that it might be a mobility issue. I'm a huge fan of yoga as a supplement to Crossfit to help with flexibility & alignment. I wonder if you might benefit from stepping back on CF for a bit and replacing one workout a week with yoga (or a dedicated mobility day if that's not your thing). Otherwise, it might be time to mention it at your next dr's appointment.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain. I have had one injury after another (aged 42) recently after 2.5 yrs of CF. Especially after training very hard leading up to comp completed last month. I recognise that I do nothing except cursory warm up with no mobility and/or yoga/stretching and I do believe I am paying for that now. I would suggest based on my own experience to incorporate additional mobility/stretching/yoga into your routine because as you age you will need it more - avoiding injuries. I have been off for 2 weeks now and feel like I've lost my CF Mojo. Check your injuries with dr/physio and get them fixed. Cut back or modify your training until these are sorted - they usually will not heal by themselves.
    Good luck
  • okulyd
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I got to workout with a different coach today and I asked him about these concerns and he confirmed that they aren't a normal CF side effect. Sounds like they are more likely just one off random injuries. And said not to do shoulder stuff for 2 weeks to let it heal on its own. Also during the workout he pointed out the cause of my ankle pain (landing too hard on the double unders). So, I'm going to focus on landing softly on the box jumps and double unders and hope that, that helps. He also suggested some exercises to strengthen the shoulder although he said he didn't think a lack of strength was the issue in my case. I'll also checkout mobilitywod. Great tip!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’m 49 yo and only do crossfit 3 days per week. I always wonder how folks can go 5 - 6 times per week (especially when I come in and several of them are complaining about soreness from the day before).
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    okulyd wrote: »
    I have been doing crossfit consistently for the past year. I go 5 times per week, sometimes 6. I have been doing this for 12 months. I can complete pretty much any WOD Rx without scaling but I do scale on occasion depending on how I feel or what skill I want to focus on. Anyway over the past month I have suddenly developed joint pain everywhere. When I wake up in the morning my ankles are so tight that its painful to walk. They losen up as I walk but each time I move from sitting to standing the tightness is there. About a month ago I dislocated my wrist so that still hurts although I am working to strengthen it and its getting better. Then this Tuesday I tweaked my shoulder just doing a warmup so now that also hurts.

Wondering what could possibly be happening since all of these minor injuries/pain are located in a joint. Could this be a problem with diet? Maybe not enough fat? Am I overtraining? Is this just a normal part of crossfit? I am taking MegaRed Joint Care supplement (Krill Oil) but it doesn't seem to be helping. Am I just getting too old (currently 37)? Any ideas?

Have you taken any break at all in the past 12 months?

I'm guessing might just need a week or two off. And by off I mean resting, light low impact cardio, mobility work. No lifting, no WODS.

• bostonwolf
    Options
    I’m 49 yo and only do crossfit 3 days per week. I always wonder how folks can go 5 - 6 times per week (especially when I come in and several of them are complaining about soreness from the day before).

Same here Allan. I'm 45 and I usually go 3 times a week, maybe four every other week. That's really about all I can take without getting run down.

• okulyd
    Options
    I have taken breaks. I actually took off the entire month of Nov. I missed it so went back. I think I took two weeks off in Dec. as well. It might just be that I am finally becoming proficient in how to do the movements so that allows me to work harder. When I first started going I had to focus so much on form that I was never lifting heavy or moving very fast. I still move slow (usually one of the last to finish) but I move a lot more weight.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    +1 for cutting down crossfit to 3 days a week. You would get even better at those workouts with the extra rest and risk less injury.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Age definitely plays a role. Even as I get into better shape I don't think I'll CF more than 4 times a week.