Poisoned a few days ago- How long do symptoms last?

duckykissy
duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
My stomach is all sorts of special. I've been gf df since January, but that still didn't take away all of the symptoms. So my dietician put me on the FODMAP diet to help me figure out what is going on. Anyway, 2 weeks on the FODMAP diet and I felt awesome. However, I've recently started experimenting with my diet, slowly adding in some the excluded foods to see what in there is making me sick. Now here is the issue- I was poisoned with gluten a couple days ago so now I'm not sure what is making me sick. Is it the gluten still? The apples? The yeast in my df/gf bread? The cheese? I'm really trying to figure it out, but it's been a bit hard because of the gluten. However, it's been three days now- shouldn't my intestines be done complaining?

How long does it take you to recover from intestinal symptoms of gluten?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I would say that it takes me 2-3 days to recover from mild exposure (cross contamination). No clue how long it would take to recover from a significant exposure, the last time was 2 years ago, and it was not pretty!

Are you eating gf oats? I have read that 20% of celiacs can not handle gf oats, and I am one of the 20%.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    My celiac test was negative, but I'm pretty dang sure I'm allergic to wheat (I made some monkey bread for a bake sale and got a rash from kneading the dough). I also react to barley. So I've just gone completely gluten free. I am eating the occasional gf oats. I added it back about a day or two before I got glutened, but both me and my husband are pretty sure there was wheat in my dinner so I haven't thought whether or not that was contributing. I'll definitely keep an eye on that too.

I would say my exposure was medium level. I'm pretty sure it was used as a thickener in a sauce I ate. So maybe I'm still recovering...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    It might take a while...When I have been glutened, I still have joint aches and fatigue problems for at least a week after, although GI issues usually last for 3-4 days for me.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    I usually find tummy issues take around 3 days to go away but joint aches, fuzzy head, bad eye sight etc hangs around for about a week after a mistake!.
  • SRJennings
    SRJennings Posts: 126 Member
    I can expect four days of intestinal hell after ingesting gluten. Like many others here, the ancillary side effects can last up to a week. I hope you start feeling better soon.
  • cmkortkamp
    cmkortkamp Posts: 2 Member
    I don't get intestinal symptoms with gluten, but when I get "glutened" accidentally, it usually takes about a week for the joint pain, fogginess, etc. to go away.