Do I enter exercise into MFP now?

Options
Tquest
Tquest Posts: 10 Member
OK... Just got the fitbit and love it! Can't believe how much more i am forcing myself to walk and challenge friends. When I go to the gym do I log my exercise into the MFP now though because it is already logging the steps. If I do 400 calories on the elliptical it doesn't reflect that but it reflects the steps. I don't want to give myself too many neg calories. Confused.

Replies

• kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I still like to log my workouts, but I trick it a little bit. I enter only 1 calorie burned and enter a time that I know I was sedentary. That way nothing is getting double-logged and I can track my actual workouts that are in addition to just getting steps. Hope that makes sense.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you read the sticky FAQ that heybales wrote. It explains the whole thing pretty thoroughly.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy#latest
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) has to be logged either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time, so never log exercise as 1 calorie.

Logging elliptical is entirely a matter of personal preference.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I log my food in MFP.

I log any non-step based activity in fitbit, rather than MFP. The calories given are generally lower in the fitbit database than MFP - and inflated calorie burn is a common MFP complaint.

Anything step based I ignore and let fitbit work it out for me.

It's working for me so far.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I log my food in MFP.

I log any non-step based activity in fitbit, rather than MFP. The calories given are generally lower in the fitbit database than MFP - and inflated calorie burn is a common MFP complaint.

^^This is what I do. I spent all this money on a device (Fitbit), *because* MFP's exercise estimates are awful for me (and notoriously off for many others as well). To continue logging exercise on the MFP side would just make my Fitbit a very overpriced pedometer.

I let MFP do what it does best--track calories and give a reasonable calorie goal. And I allow Fitbit to do what it does best--track activity and convert to a calorie burn.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I log my food in MFP.

^^This is what I do. I spent all this money on a device (Fitbit), *because* MFP's exercise estimates are awful for me (and notoriously off for many others as well). To continue logging exercise on the MFP side would just make my Fitbit a very overpriced pedometer.

I let MFP do what it does best--track calories and give a reasonable calorie goal. And I allow Fitbit to do what it does best--track activity and convert to a calorie burn.

Now where is that stupid Like button.