woman's clothing size?

Options
loriloftness
loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
I am 5'almost 6". I would say I'm medium boned/body size. My current weight is 184. In July, my sister-in-law is getting married. I am assuming by that time I will be more in the 150-160 range. Does anyone have an idea what dress size that weight/height would be? The wedding is going to have a color scheme so I have 3 color choices to find a dress in. That makes the search much harder so I want to start looking sooner than later, but I don't know what size I would be at that weight. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Size is SUCH a crapshoot! I'd plan for something a size smaller than you are now and find a good alterations person you can use closer to the wedding. They can always make it smaller. Bigger, not so much!
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Its so hard! And "formal" dresses are the worst. I am in my cousin's wedding in June and I had to order my dress in February. I ordered a size lower than I measured. The alterations person told me that dresses can be taken in two full sizes before they lose shape so I am hoping for the best. Good luck!
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... I have 3 weddings this summer and no clue what or how to size the dresses for them! SUPPOSEDLY (and to others point... It's a crap shoot) every 10 lbs is a size once you get to "straight" sizes. So I agree 1 size smaller than now will give you some wiggle room and could still feasibly be altered
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It really is impossible to say. When I was in high school I weighed 148 lbs and was a size 10. I am now at 173 and a size 10 is beginning to get a little loose. I guess I carried my weight in different areas then. But being the same height now as I was then, that is a perfect example of sizes being a crap shoot! 25 lbs heavier and nearing a smaller size.
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am also at 173 and a size 10. I was a size 10 when I weighed 145. It just seems so funny now. I keep wondering what size I will be when I am back at 145.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Its so interesting how different we all are. I am short (5'3") and just beginning to think about 10's at 164 pounds.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 12's are just getting too loose, but 10's are too small. So I'd do what has been suggested, buy a size smaller than current and get it altered closer to when it's needed.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What size are you now? I'd go with one size smaller than you are right now, and have it altered if needed.
    And, also look for dresses that aren't super fitted. More of a flowy type dress if possible.
    It won't be as obvious if it doesn't fit perfectly.
    Or look for a corset type as opposed to one that zips up. Things like that!
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft & 153lbs and a size 7/8 currently. Height plays a factor too though. Being taller you will be slimmer than someone the same weight and shorter.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What size are you now? In general you can estimate every 10 - 12 lbs is one size. When you get to a size 6ish, each 5lbs is roughly one size. (Very rough estimate as vanity sizing, euro sizing etc impacts the formula ;) )
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Like others have already said, it's hard to know what size to get, and it doesn't help that there seems to be zero consistency in sizing among brands!