running music

Options
Robbnva
Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
Want to put together a running playlist, what songs are must haves. I like country, rock, rap. Hip hop, pop, etc so I'll probably have a really odd mix, but as long as its all upbeat, I'm good.

And go...

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I typically don't run with music since I run outside and it can very much be a safety issue.

If I'm forced to run inside, I'll listen to music. Typically 90s Top 40
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    Want to put together a running playlist, what songs are must haves. I like country, rock, rap. Hip hop, pop, etc so I'll probably have a really odd mix, but as long as its all upbeat, I'm good.

And go...

Try out some stuff from Girl Talk. Someone just got me hooked on this. It's a really interesting mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzv9keJiLFg
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    https://jog.fm/workout-songs

You can enter in a pace which will pull a list of songs with the proper beats per minute. You can then sort by genre.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    I typically don't run with music since I run outside and it can very much be a safety issue.

Running without music seems impossible to me.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Well I prefer being safe because this is a crazy world.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Don't worry; you'll get to like running eventually. ;)

Seriously, though, I do run outside with music but not too loud - I can hear if there are cars coming before I can see them, and bike bells etc. I only leave the music at home if I need to do anything faster than marathon pace and need the extra concentration. Or obviously if I'm doing a race.

I'd listen to slower music than you think, so as not to get sucked into running too fast - country is good for this.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

Seriously, though, I do run outside with music but not too loud - I can hear if there are cars coming before I can see them, and bike bells etc. I only leave the music at home if I need to do anything faster than marathon pace and need the extra concentration. Or obviously if I'm doing a race.

I'd listen to slower music than you think, so as not to get sucked into running too fast - country is good for this.

You tend to go slower when you're sobbing about your wife and dog leaving you. *sniff* "Pour me another round please."

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

I use Yurbuds or cheap ear buds with the foam and keep my music at a reasonable level so I can hear ambient noise.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have my music volume turned to a level where I can hear what is around me. I am the person that needs music to run. I have tried it both ways and cannot stand running without music.

That being said some of my favorites are:
    Anything by PitBull- the beat is amazing and I tend to adjust my pace with his music
    "Happy"
    "Proud Mary"
    Most things Black Eyed Peas
    Lots of Iggy Azalea
    "All about the Base"
    "Living on a Prayer"- that is on my marathon and 1/2 marathon playlist :)
    "Pour Some Sugar on Me"

• Robbnva
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

You tend to go slower when you're sobbing about your wife and dog leaving you. *sniff* "Pour me another round please."

You haven't listened to country in a long time have you lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

You haven't listened to country in a long time have you lol

There are still a lot of newer country songs that are terrible to run to.
    Some of the "poppier" ones are fine.
    But he's correct and it's something I've noticed when I'm on a treadmill.
    There are 180bpm playlists for a reason, I'm hitting a faster cadence when I listen to something around the 180bpm range (which is the range I need to run at to not irritate my injury) so "Bye Bye Bye" by NSync will help me hit my cadence whereas "My Immortal" by Evanescence won't. It's something I learned last fall while upping my cadence to help my injury.

https://jog.fm/workout-songs/at/180/bpm
    Here's a list of some 180bpm range songs
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am not a big country music fan, but I do have a few on my running playlist. One of my faves is "Fast as You" by Dwight Yoakam. It came on last night during my run, as a matter of fact, and I thought to myself, "Dang, this is an awesome running song".
  • Robbnva
    Options
    I never thought about the speed of the song and speed running, makes sense
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have a few compilations; Ministry of Sound Running Trax, Now thats what I call Running and various Hed Kandy.

Now Running 15 is awful, bpm is all over the place and it's really difficult to run to, but the rest are pretty good. Other than unexpectedly getting Eye of the Tiger at about 11 miles.

I'll listen when I'm in London as pounding down the Thames can get a bit tedious at times, but I don't when I'm offroad at home.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Blurred lines (Thick)
    Scalliwag (Gaelic Storm)
    Sunnier Days (Diego Garcia)
    Welcome to NY (Swift - doing NY in the Fall so got this one)
    Juntos (Juanes)
    American Kids (Chesney)
    Happy (ha ha Pharrell Williams)
    Respectable (Nellie McKay)
    Kodachrome (Simon) likey b/c I do photography with a Nikon
    Graceland (Simon)
    Zoot Suit Riot
    and if you want eclectic perhaps classicals such Sabre Dance, or Turkish March)
    Uh Oh (Talking Heads)
    Running down a dream (Petty)
    I got you (Split Enz) (not quite 'upbeat' )
    or really upbeat like Yakety Sax ha ha.

Have fun!

• valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi i love beyonce bruno mars, tina, bit of taylor swift. Can't beat pitbull though he is a mucky little pup.

For long runs I downloaded some move sound tracks - braveheart, last of the mohicans, some of Gladiator. Big soaring tunes and nice scenery to distract me and keep me steady.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Volbeat
    Lindsey Stirling
    Pendulum
    Metallica
    Queen
    Megadeth

If you match your strides to songs by some of the bands above you can set a pretty wicked pace :wink:

I actually just shuffle my entire music library when exercising so I might go from Love Is A Battlefield to Master Of Puppets then to Ain't That A Kick In The Head. Makes for an interesting vibe.
  • Diver_Adolph
    Diver_Adolph Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For music I try to keep the beat around the pace I want to keep, mostly modern (Akon, Flo Rida, Pitbull, Lady Gaga, etc.). Somewhere else recommended audiobooks and that has worked really great. I am in the middle of a 12 hour 'book' and I can't wait to get to my run today, to hear the next chapter. Off days can be a pain cause I want to find out the next segment.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Country was a big help staying at a steady pace today, that was a great tip.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I like to run with 1 earbud in. That way I can still have full awareness of everyone & everything around me, but I've got some jams to keep me company on those long runs!

I tend to have a really uneven cadence (I'm working on it) so I've put together a 180 bpm playlist that I play on shuffle during my long runs.

Some of my favourites are:
    Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
    Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
    The Distance - Cake
    Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    The Big Bad Wolf - The Heavy
    Roustabout (Bassnectar Remix) - Beats Antique
    Swing the Mood - Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers
    One of These Mornings - Moby
    Zoot Suit Riot - Cherry Poppin' Daddies