Anyone else have this problem?

Options
mes1921
mes1921 Posts: 71 Member
The box is a depressing place lately. Sense of community has disappeared, and everyone failed to even acknowledge the open announcement tonight. It seems to have started at the top with money becoming more important than CF family. Now, trainers are taking on the apathy too. What was a place of happiness is now a place of frustration. I love CF and the workouts, but am started to question my membership. Price continues to increase, but no money has come back to fixing equipment or cleaning things up. This is the only CF in town, too. It was a great place a year ago, but it's now a serious disappointment. Has anyone faced this issue? Did you walk away, or ride it out and maybe see it improve? What could be other options?

Replies

• emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My box is great so I have no experience in this. But... What are other people saying? Can you talk to the owners or some of the coaches? Are there any avenues for giving feedback, maybe send a polite email with your concerns if you don't want to do it face to face? Have you lost key people like a great coach or something like that, that might explain the change? Sorry, I know there are no answers here but maybe some things that might help.

Good luck with it, I would hate this to happen where I am.
  • Emnelltt
    Emnelltt Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you. I would be so sad if my box started to fail :( Best of luck.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My daughter has run into this before. The owner loses their desire to run a good crossfit and it filters down and ruins the experience. One of the coaches offered to buy the box from him and at first he was all for it only to pull out right before they closed the deal. That coach ended up opening her own box and pretty much took everyone with her.

It might be worth talking to some of the coaches about the situation and get their perspective.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you are in Ames IA, looks like two boxes there. Might be time to check the other one.

http://www.bing.com/entities/search?q=crossfit+in+ames+IA&filters=segment:"local"&src=ie9tr&pin=YN873x10355269283833204949,YN873x3785450964625641665&FORM=MAPAGG

If you know other members are having similar feelings I'd go to management and/or the trainers and express your concerns. If they can't or won't address them directly (especially the lack of equipment replacement or upgrades) I'd probably leave.

If any of the trainers is L1 certified and feels the same as you, sounds like a business oppportunity for that person.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    Your profile says you are in Ames IA, looks like two boxes there. Might be time to check the other one.

http://www.bing.com/entities/search?q=crossfit+in+ames+IA&filters=segment:"local"&src=ie9tr&pin=YN873x10355269283833204949,YN873x3785450964625641665&FORM=MAPAGG

If you know other members are having similar feelings I'd go to management and/or the trainers and express your concerns. If they can't or won't address them directly (especially the lack of equipment replacement or upgrades) I'd probably leave.

If any of the trainers is L1 certified and feels the same as you, sounds like a business oppportunity for that person.

Totally agree with bostonwolf! Good luck!
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ;) If you're still in Ames (and aren't talking about my gym) - I go to Max Oxgen Crossfit and I LOVE the place. It's my family away from my family. We're a pretty new box (opened last August), but the coaches rock and once a month David Tittle comes in and trains us for a week....pretty spectacular place!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think one pays too much for Crossfit to go to a place that isn't fun. You know, I tend to think the joy in Crossfit is that it is always different, always a new challenge. Maybe you need to mix it up. Try something new for a while. Give Crossfit a break.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    We are in the midst of something similar. Our Coaches/owners broke up, and they have muddled through the business aspect, and one decided to stop coaching there. Is what it is sometimes, but the programming we have is far superior than most of the other gyms in the area, so its tough to bail. Fortunately he lowered the pricing, so i am sticking it out for now. When it is time to re-up, i will def consider moving on. Good luck
  • mes1921
    mes1921 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Unfortunately, I'm not living in Ames anymore, so can't get to any of the boxes there. There is only one box within 30 minutes of where we currently live, and it's the one we go to now and where the problems are. The plan now is to stick it out through the summer and re-assess after that. Any advice on how to approach asking about new/not broken equipment? The questions have been asked before, but always seem to hit a blind eye. I'm starting to wonder if it would be smarter to start building our garage gym with our membership money each month, and then pay for online programming. Definitely would kill the community vibe, but I'm not really feeling it at the box anymore, either.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    IF i had the space I would totally do that!! you can def find some good used stuff online. We are using WOD Follow at our gym now, and my coaches program is 45/mo, and there are plenty others out there as well. My gym owner also tries to sell old stuff as they get new things
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    mes1921 wrote: »
    Thanks all. Unfortunately, I'm not living in Ames anymore, so can't get to any of the boxes there. There is only one box within 30 minutes of where we currently live, and it's the one we go to now and where the problems are. The plan now is to stick it out through the summer and re-assess after that. Any advice on how to approach asking about new/not broken equipment? The questions have been asked before, but always seem to hit a blind eye. I'm starting to wonder if it would be smarter to start building our garage gym with our membership money each month, and then pay for online programming. Definitely would kill the community vibe, but I'm not really feeling it at the box anymore, either.

Garage gym would definitely be the next best option. I'm guessing if both of you are paying membership that's more than enough.

Spend the money on a wall rack/rig. You can get the bar and weight plates on craigslist or online for cheap. Can usually find the plates dirt cheap. They might be a bit rusty and worn, but who cares?