24 yrs old and feel like I'm dying

Options
I'm 24 years old.

Since I began my periods, I always had terrible cramps. Not your typical cramps. These had me laying on the floor, rocking back and forth. It was like someone stabbing me wth a sharp knife and cutting my uterus out of me. It also caused me to throw up, have cold sweats, diarrhea, and passing out. Every. Single. Period.

At the age of 17, I was diagnosed with a dermoid cyst on my ovary, the size of a grape fruit, and it was surgically removed along with my ovary and fallopian tube. We thought that this was the reason I was having these complications. They didn't go away. All my doctors (gyne, family doc, and cardiologist) thought it was my bodys way of dealing with periods.

In March 2013, while dealing with all this, I had also started dealing with fatigue, muscle weakness, exhaustion, constantly taking naps, not feeling rested after 10 hour sleep. I had mental fog, depression. I was diagnosed with hypothyrodism. I take Levothyroxine for it.

Few months before April 2014, I was sick of dealing with the period crap. We had also been trying to have a baby and was unsuccessful. In additional to that, I have always had painful intercourse as well as ovulation and knew that it just wasn't right. I saw a new gyne and they recommended that I have a lap surgery to diagnose endometriosis. In April, it was confirmed and removed. For 5 months, I felt wonderful. Like I was when I was on BC pills.

Then in August, after 4 years of chronic back pain, I was just tired of dealing with it. It was like someone was stabbing me between my shoulder blades. I'd have spasms in my lower back as well. I had seen a previous chiro which was an idiot and made me come in every 2 weeks. I stopped going to him. then I saw an old family doc who gave me a steriod shot (not even where I was having the pain) and it ate away at my nerves. I now have a section of my back where I can't feel anything. I then went to see a different chiro who did a wonderful job of temporarily relieving my back pain. I would see her every 3 months and every time, my left leg was shorter than my right. But then it started getting worst. It started moving up in my neck, causing knots and gave me headaches and vertigo. I told her I needed some new answers. She did an Xray on my middle back (where the majority of my pain is) and said I have some arthritis there and a minor curve. Arthritis at the age of 24?! I was so mad! I am currently waiting for the 17th when I see a rheumatologist. (My mom has AS and RA as well as a bunch of other things). I also have a problem of being really cold, especially my feet, knees, and hands, and get very achy and miserable.

Finally, fast forward to September, and my symptoms of Endometriosis all came back! I was a mess this cycle. Laying on the floor, in pain, trying to fight the urge to pass out, while crying my eyes out because I knew the dreaded Endo was back!

I'm so depressed and upset. I cry all the time and feel bad about myself. I know I shouldnt, but it's so hard to do anything anymore. I used to love running and hiking, and now I barely take walks. I just want to climb under a heated blanket and warm up my joints and avoid contact with anyone :(

Replies

• EmilyCeder42
    Options
    So Sorry Cookie! I too am 24 have had multiple surgeries. I have Endo, PCOS, Fibromialgia, IBS, and Chronic Fatigue. I'm going to see my Dr again in November and I am sure i'll have to have surgery again, in the mean time i'm going to try the Spark 24 day challenge and see if I can get a little energy back, or improve on my mood. Here for you if you need to talk.

~Em~
  • cookie121110
    cookie121110 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks Emily! I saw my family doc and he prescribed an anti-depressant to help with my depression. Cannot wait to see the arthritis doc on Friday!
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So sorry sweet girl. Been there, done that. One piece of advice? Go to the doctor with list specific to physicians practice. I know you're overwhelmed but just know you must keep from crying. They want to dope you up with anti depressants if you are slightly emotional. I'm not saying they don't have their place of course. Remember your feelings are normal reactions to a bad situation. Keep it professional like a job interview. Doctors have a difficult task these days weeding through patients needs. It will really help focus on treating your issues and not the tears. Cry your heart out later. I've been there. I wish i could hold your hand navigating the maze. My daughter is your age too and I will think of you while I'm holding her hand.
    Many prayers with you.

My issues. Endo, RA, and others.
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So very sorry Cookie. You are very brave! I can relate to the things you've said. I've heard endo is either a type of birth defect or possibly be auto immune in nature. If your mother has issues the the odds are higher that you may also have auto immune problems. I had endo. Excruciatingly painful. Hysterectomy helped but tissue is still growing where my uterus was and I still bleed on occasion. Get cysts on my surviving ovary as well. Afterwards I developed hypothyroidism, a vitamin D deficiency and degenerative disk disease which lead to ruptured disk and more surgery. My spine has never been the same. I began having trouble walking several years back then I came down with 103 degree fever for 10 days and was hospitalized with brown pee and bleeding into my skin. My liver became severely inflamed and I had a hammering migraine. Lost my insurance right after so I couldn't get medical help for another 2 years. The pain just got more and more intense in my joints and my feet and hands began to swell. I was desperate. I went in AGAIN as cash patient and finally got an ear to really listen. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Disease last year. In addition I have Osteoarthritis mixed throughout my body and bone on bone. I find simply venting when you are allowed really helps the emotional side. It is normal to grieve. You are suffering great loss and the uncertainty of your future hangs in the balance. It is so important to keep yourself centered. Disease is not you. Your body is not you. Your spirit is who you really are. A beautiful and unique entity, created in the image of a loving God. Oh yes. You are loved. These illnesses are all under the mass umbrella of a fallen world. Healing starts in the soul. Where it really counts. I get by one day at a time. One task at a time. Those tiny triumphs add up and you realize you are infinitely more powerful than you thought. No one can understand unless they walk a mile in your shoes. Forgive them. They just can't know. Many here do however so let the grief flow. It is better to get it out here so you can show a stronger you to the ones you love and who also suffer due to your illness.
    God bless and stay the warrior you really are.