Introduction

Options
Hi everyone,
My name is Kim & I have had a recent allergy testing which showed a reaction to wheat, which explains a lot of uncomfortable symptoms I have been experiencing lately. I have been a member on MFP for a while and lost a lot of weight so far. I need some Gluten free friends and support though so I came here for help. Help!!! :s Right now my doctor wants me to eat Gluten for a upcoming Celiac test and I am miserable :'( .
After that I'll need tips for healthy recipes... And menopause doesn't help either!! Ugh!!!

Replies

• Q2Power
    Q2Power Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim,

I'm new here and just getting started but I have a diagnosis of Celiac and need to be gluten free. I would love to be MFP friends. You are welcome to add me:)
  • Refined_by_Fire
    Refined_by_Fire Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ty~ I. Just took the blood test so we will get the results in a few days.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim, You are welcome to friend, I eat Celiac style (haven't done the challenge diet for official diagnosis though, not worth it) and I am low carb maintenance for my early menopausal tummy, lol. If you read my profile you'll get to know me a bit better. :D My diary is open if that helps....
  • LibbyErinGalt
    LibbyErinGalt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would love some gluten free friends too. Went gluten free a month ago and will see my doctor about it next week. I feel great gluten free (best I've felt in 10+ years!), but would love some support, tips, ideas and friends! Any guidance on gluten free beauty products would help too!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @LibbyErinGalt : Gluten free beauty products... http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/GlutenFreePersonalCareProducts/fl/Gluten-Free-Makeup-Brands.htm
    Gluten free Shampoos & conditioners & styling products (esp if you have eczema due to gluten)... http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/GlutenFreePersonalCareProducts/a/Gluten-In-Shampoo.htm

"The International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary publishes a list of ingredients used in cosmetics that contain wheat or other gluten-containing grains. You don’t need to memorize it, but check out the list on the link below so you are familiar with the terms.

Many companies don’t use any of these ingredients in some or all of their products. A few that show up on all the lists (shampoos, lotions, and cosmetics) include Neutrogena, Baby Magic, Banana Boat, Afterglow Cosmetics, Acure, Almay Arbonne, Gabriel Cosmetics, Red Apple Lipstick, Christine Marie Cosmetics, Kiss My Face, Everyday Minerals, Gluten Free Beauty, Joelle Cosmetics, Monave, 100% pure, ZuZu Cosmetics, Mineral Fusion, and Lovely Lady.

Many mainstream companies have a list of products that contain no gluten, too. You’ll find it on their web site: Aveda, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Dove, Estee Lauder, Lancome, Loreal, Maybelline, and Revlon. (Not every product is gluten free.)

One of my favorite lip glosses, Burts Bees, no longer guarantees that their products are gluten free. But Red Apple Lipstick, Ecco Bella, Mineral Fusion, 100% Pure, are just a few of the brands that do."
    Dated March 4 2014 http://www.glutino.com/blog/skin-care-and-gluten-free/
  • Refined_by_Fire
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know they put so much wheat in make-up items :s
  • Refined_by_Fire
    Options
    My Celiac test were negative , but I am still going to change my diet because I am tired of feeling sick daily. The good thing is that my husband has agreed to also change his diet to support me. ☺
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Having your spouse on the diet helps a lot! No separate condiments and toasters and utensils and cutting boards, lol. He may be surprised by how his body reacts to the switch and may see health improvements too. We eat so much wheat in North America it's ridiculous - no wonder so many have problems with it - we are just so overloaded. It's like eating carrots for every meal & snack every day of your life. Bet we'd become allergic/sensitive to that too, lol.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm Melissa.
    I have recently started eating GF, and I can not believe the difference I have felt even over such a short period of time. I am eating GF for personal reasons, not for health reasons, but I have 3 family members who are diagnosed with Celiac. I would love some new friends so we can support each other on our weight loss journey. I am so glad I found this group because GF seems to be such a soar topic on the regular message boards on here (I dont understand why?).
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Welcome Melissa! Perhaps you already know but if you have family members diagnosed with Celiac Disease it is quite likely that you also have it, although symptoms may not be as apparent. http://www.celiaccentral.org/familytalk/

"Celiac disease affects 1 in 133 Americans. The disease occurs in genetically predisposed individuals. That means if someone in your family has been diagnosed with celiac disease, you are at an increased risk for the disease.

1 in 22 first-degree family members (parent, child, sibling) and 1 in 39 second-degree family members (aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grandparent, grandchild and half-sibling) are at risk for celiac disease. Your risk may double if your brother or sister has celiac disease.

If you are at risk, it is critical that you get tested, even if you have no symptoms. Undiagnosed celiac disease can have long-term consequences, so early diagnosis is key."

I'm glad your new eating style is helping you. On the boards people get very defensive about things they don't understand. It's like trying to force a person with a peanut allergy to eat peanut butter simply because it's a healthy fat. Yeah....NO! I don't even look at any thread anymore that discusses GF in a general way and just stick to this group, because we have experience with it and most of us are working with doctors and nutritionists on our health in relation to gluten.

I'm sending a friend request - I won't be insulted if you choose not to friend. ;) BTW, I eat a low carb lifestyle as well, to keep my menopausal tummy under control. I don't rag on my friends unless they aren't getting enough nutrients. Then I might give them a little wake up poke. lol
  • TammyMB69
    TammyMB69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also am gluten free eater do yo celiac disease. Not as hard as I thought just alot of label reading. Could use gluten free friendsm
  • Refined_by_Fire
    Options
    Hi Tammy, welcome to the group. I only try to eat gf. My celiac test was negative. :)
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I log my food most days.
  • LibbyErinGalt
    LibbyErinGalt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My phone broke but now I have a new one, so logging again starting today. Feel free to friend me (I accepted a few requests already). I don't have celiac but I do have a gluten intolerance. Thanks for make up tips and info.