Yoga

Options
badzoe
badzoe Posts: 132 Member
I am looking for a yoga dvd recommendation. I do crossfit 3x week, row and/or kettle bells on non-crossfit days. My box switched to a dynamic warmup, so we aren't doing as much stretching as we once did. I would like to work on flexibility, but I don't know where to start. I can't afford to go to yoga classes, so I will have to stick with dvds or videos. Thanks!

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    You can sign up for a 30 day on-line yoga class - a new session is posted everyday.
    Free!
    search for doyouyoga.com
  • badzoe
    Options
    Thanks--I'll give that a try!
  • kwoww9797
    kwoww9797 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are also tons of yoga videos on YouTube.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've always found yoga by video frustrating, since I find it hard to follow and be sure I'm in the right position. I'd recommend at least doing a class or two to start if possible. Beyond that, it's a matter of figuring out what kind of yoga you are interested in. One mistake I made with videos was doing a "fitness yoga" class that included a bunch of traditional bodyweight exercises which is great except that I am doing lots of pushups and such at other times.

One option is to search around on the internet for recommended yoga sites. However, one that was recommended by Jen Comas Keck when she was interviewed on the Fitcast was YogaGlo, which sounded really good so I took note of it (haven't tried it yet).

I think you have to subscribe but there may be trial options or sample classes--I haven't explored it yet so am not vouching for it, just saying it might be worth looking at. It gives a lot of choice for the type of yoga and class and then has filmed classes.

A little something from Jen on yoga (if you aren't familiar with her, also to her site): http://www.jencomaskeck.com/2014/04/you-cant-be-good-at-yoga-and-other.html

The Bad Yogi site is fun and educational too. I've found it helpful in correcting my form on some poses.
  • badzoe
    Options
    Thank you! I will check that out!
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com is a FANTASTIC resource for at-home videos. It's free and you can search by class length, class type, instructor, etc.

In all seriousness, though, I would strongly urge you to look into drop-in rates for yoga classes. A lot of studios, especially near college campuses, will also have occasional freebies (say on Sunday nights) and that's a good way to get some foundation in what the poses should look like, breathing, etc. Even classes through your local Y can be good depending on who's teaching, and there's a lot of value in having someone there who can check your form.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Love yoga (normal temp or hot yoga) - As I've gotten older, I have found that the addititional mobility yoga gives to me has been of great value. Also, in all the craziness of life, love, CrossFit and other training, I found that slowing down and streching has been great for the mind too. *Wish I could find time to do more . . .
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I've just started Hot Yoga (38 degrees) once a week and am loving it. It's a 60 min class which is perfect for me as I don't like to meditate/hold a pose too long (boring) so a 60 min class moves through the transitions quicker. Am hoping to improve my flexibility & mobility.