Need temporary watch or app

Options
KathleenKP
KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
My Garmin 910 is on its way back for service. I have a long trip planned -and it won't be back in time.

What should I get (if I have time)? The less the better. If I only need an app or two, that would make me happiest.

REI would be best, only what they have in the shop. A local big box store carries some more simple watches. I don't have time to wait for an online delivery.

I have an iPhone 5s, an older iPad with the 30 pin connector, aGarmin HRM, a Garmin Ant+ foot pod. My husband has a Polar HRM I can use. It needs to be compatible with those things.

I will be in a foreign country, so not using cell data except for downloading info when I have an (limited) Internet connection.

I'd like reliable distance and HR data most. Indoors and outdoors. I can figure out overall pace by time. Mostly what I need is basic data by foot. I don't need swim data, or really any bike (though that would be a bonus).

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'd use the polar and Google maps
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't know of an app that will do what you want it to do especially with no service/data. you are probably better off buying the Forerunner 10 as back-up or borrow one from a friend.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If you can't use cell data, I'm not sure an app would be helpful to you, since GPS for distance tracking will require some kind of data usage (or at least that's what I've been led to believe). If you can splurge a little, I'd get a backup FR10 as iguezz04 suggested.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    If you can't use cell data, I'm not sure an app would be helpful to you, since GPS for distance tracking will require some kind of data usage

I'd go back to doing things the "old-fashioned" way - plot a course ahead of time on Garmin Connect or MapMyRun, then run the course while running a stopwatch. (Indoor running on a track or treadmill should also be fairly easy to figure out distance.) Pair the Polar app with your HRM to get that data, and aggregate the data manually.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Endomondo might be a good app for you for the Polar HRM and/or the Garmin ANT. A little tough to get indoor readings unless your phone can get both GPS and GLONASS navigation satellites. I think Runtastic requires the PRO version for HRMs. I cannot remember what Runkeeper requires.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Polar Beat app with Polar HRM?
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    iSmoothrun should connect with your HRM and footpod, not sure if it will work without cell data... I think it will.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    KathleenKP wrote: »
    My Garmin 910 is on its way back for service. I have a long trip planned -and it won't be back in time.

What should I get (if I have time)? The less the better. If I only need an app or two, that would make me happiest.

REI would be best, only what they have in the shop. A local big box store carries some more simple watches. I don't have time to wait for an online delivery.

I have an iPhone 5s, an older iPad with the 30 pin connector, aGarmin HRM, a Garmin Ant+ foot pod. My husband has a Polar HRM I can use. It needs to be compatible with those things.

I will be in a foreign country, so not using cell data except for downloading info when I have an (limited) Internet connection.

I'd like reliable distance and HR data most. Indoors and outdoors. I can figure out overall pace by time. Mostly what I need is basic data by foot. I don't need swim data, or really any bike (though that would be a bonus).

I know that the Runkeeper app doesn't require cell data for tracking. I've done hikes in Colorado with no cell service and it did a great job.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    runkeeper is a pretty handy free app, will track distance and pace, can get audio ques up to every .25 miles I believe