PCOS weight loss success stories?

Options
How much did you lose? What did you eat? What exercise did/do you do? What supplements and meds? How long have you been maintaining?

Replies

• IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Surely there's some at-goal success stories?
  • shesang
    shesang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not at goal but I have managed to lose 70 lbs and keep it off for almost ten years. Twenty years ago I started by going on a low fat diet and lost 30 lbs then moved on to Weight Watchers where I lost an additional 40 lbs. I have worked out fairly consistently over the twenty years but about 10 years ago I really ramped it up by working with a trainer and was on a protein/carb balanced diet. That got me down an extra 20 lbs but as soon as I strayed from my eating plan I gained the 20 lbs back quite quickly. I still have 40 lbs to go and it has been very difficult. Just recently I realized I must stick to my eating and exercise plan 100% or I won't lose any weight. I'm not really sure I want to be that rigid as life isn't fun without a little flexibility. I have been on Spironolactone for 20 years, was on the BCP to regulate periods (no longer on that), and have tried Metformin (didn't work for me). In order to maintain the 70 lb loss I exercise 4 to 6 times a week (hiking, biking, walking, swimming) and eat a very balanced diet with minimal carbs such as bread, potatoes, rice, etc. When I do have them it's a sprouted grain bread, brown rice or sweet potato. I pair fruit with a protein and eat healthy fats such as avocado and olive oil. So there you have it, that's my story. I would love to hear yours :smile:
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    @shesang Thanks for sharing! I don't have a success story, that's why I asked... I needed to hear it's possible, I guess...
  • Annette_906
    Annette_906 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi @IslandSneezerooo‌, I'm nowhere near my goal but believe that it is indeed possible for all of us :) it's definitely a lot harder to lose with PCOS but not impossible. I agree with @shesang‌, life is too short to be strict all the time but from all the reading I've done, women with PCOS have to be dedicated to lose the weight. I've been down and then back up for years and I am now ready to put 100% into this. Good luck!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've been fortunate that losing weight isn't a big problem for me (I know it's a problem for other PCOSers and consider myself lucky). However, I just recently received a diagnosis and eating plan and a mandate to lose more weight than I ever really planned. I will say that gaining weight is excessively easy. I've spent years gaining and losing the same 10 pounds as the gain is usually slow and creeping, so I don't always notice it. I'm hoping with my new diet change that this may become less of a problem. I have already lost around 6 pounds in the last 3-4 weeks. 25 more to go!
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have currently lost 55 lbs- so it is possible. I am no where near my goal though and have been at it for almost a year. I know it is possible but like others have said it is required to be 100% dedicated.

I am on metformin and westhroid pure (have a thyroid issue fighting against me as well on weight loss) - so these two have helped

I also do low carb- my doc wants me to get to no more than 30 a day and when I was able to drop down to 60 a day I was having a lot of success. I need to get back down to sticking to that macro though as I have gone off of it and up to 110 carbs for a couple days and have gained as a result. I am still struggling with maintaining low carb for long periods so I lose a lot- gain a little back, lose a lot- gain a little back over a weekend or something short like that.

Reading the PCOSIS forum has helped me though!!
  • shesang
    shesang Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :smiley: I'd like to connect with more PCOS'ers
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've lost 70lb so far - using MFP and its suggested macros (over 6 months).

I was only diagnosed with PCOS about a week ago. I'm hoping that when I go onto PCOS meds (soon, hopefully) they won't make losing weight more difficult - but I suspect I'll be put on Spiro and I heard that makes you bloat etc.

Oh, and I also have an under-active thyroid, so I take levo-thyroxine.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70lb so far - using MFP and its suggested macros (over 6 months).

I was only diagnosed with PCOS about a week ago. I'm hoping that when I go onto PCOS meds (soon, hopefully) they won't make losing weight more difficult - but I suspect I'll be put on Spiro and I heard that makes you bloat etc.

Oh, and I also have an under-active thyroid, so I take levo-thyroxine.

O.o Spiro is a diuretic (a water pill). It's label usage is to reduce the amount of water you retain...
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ohhhhhh.... lol. I guess I misinterpreted the idea of a 'water pill'. Now I just hope it doesn't give me headaches and a constant need to pee...
  • dahvishont02
    dahvishont02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 40 lbs since 2012 with just eating not really exercising with any consistancy. And have been holding steady, fluctuating a little. Now my endocrinologist is demanding I lose the rest. LOL!! So I have joined a gym and go 3 times a week. We'll see how that goes.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60-70 pounds out of desperation and accidentally falling into an IF style eating pattern before ever hearing about IF. I was SO overweight that this didn't even bring me close to a goal weight, but was enough to get my regular cycles started again - mixed blessing, haha. It's been a real struggle since then and basically I've just ben able to maintain that weight loss. Now I'm on metformin and it looks like that is helping me lose more - I'm guardedly hopeful that this will continue.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    What is IF?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What is IF?

Intermittent fasting.
  • cmedws84
    cmedws84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I have been struggling with Pcos since I have been a teen. I am 31 now and have l learned that this condition could possibly be genetic. There are at least eight people in my family that is dealing with this. My sisters, cousins, and others are all suffering. I really appreciate the stories that are being shared because I know it's been a long hard road for most. People don't really understand what it is that we go through and its good to have beautiful women that's not going to allow pcos to define them. So thanks for giving me hope. I'm planning on starting my journey and pray that I'm the next person who could tell an inspiring story just like some of you ladies already have. God Bless!
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that for women with PCOS, losing and maintaining weight is a never ending battle. Not many will say they are successful, because they are constantly trying to keep their weight from creeping up again. I tried many diets over the years, and until recently, had very little success in the weight department. However, I had HUGE success in eliminating medications and keeping my blood sugars stable just by eating low carb.

For many years, that was a big enough success. Losing weight has only become a recent push, due to the mid-life crisis saga. LOL Facing a life of PCOS, insulin resistance and T2Diabetes... I take my victories where I can get them.

• ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ^^^^

Thanks Dragon! Didn't realize you linked to my recent post! :)