Is this normal?

Options
lioykavsg
lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
I had my sleeve done on March 2. I am close to a month out. I have noticed that I have light naseau every morning after I wake up. I don't have any heartburn but, I have noticed that tomato based foods are not my friends right now. Once I get, some protein shakes down, it recedes abit. But not immediately. Is this normal?

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I get that if I didn't get in my nightly reflux med or if I am having lots of allergy nasal drainage. snot is a major cause of reflux. still check with nurse
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My sleeve doesn't like to be empty. I feel like that in the morning as well. You may be more sensitive to the acidic food as well. Check with your doc about incorporating an acid reducer. When my stomach gets a lot of acid during the day it makes me feel hungry as opposed to heartburn. Once I started back on zantac it went away.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I get that sort of feeling when I'm hungry (yup I'm a lucky person who never lost their appetite). A bite of food/drink and I'm good. Also my doc puts us on protonix for 90 days after surgery. I put it off one morning till the afternoon and regretted it!
  • lioykavsg
    lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I tested that by taking an acid reducer right before bed. I woke up without the nauseous feeling. I had my appointment with the surgeon today. We are going to try protonix and see what happens. Do you take the protonix before bed or in the morning?
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I take the protonix in the morning... Started that way in the hospital so I just stuck with it :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My WLS surgeon said the sleeve makes acid reflux worse. I had GERD before my sleeve and it helped mine but they also found a hernia and repaired it while doing my sleeve so I think that is what helped. Plus I take smaller bites and can't drink and eat at the same time also now. Protonix help alot. Most will put people on it right after surgery for a while.
    Good luck!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I hate to repeat myself on each thread but, I had to convert my sleeve to rny on Jan. 20, 2015 because the reflux and nausea (that was all the time even though I took Ranitidine and Prilosec) with random episodes of vomiting bile (yuck, sorry). I had sleeve in 2010 and lived for a long time thinking it would get better, but it never did. My surgeon was aware, too, and kept me supplied with Zofran and Phenergan, did every test available and took my gallbladder out. It's been so much better since the RNY! I hate we waited so long!