HELP!!!! I'm so confused.

Options
jsadqi
jsadqi Posts: 31 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I had surgery 9/8/14. SW 364 CW 282. In my first 6 months I lost 75 pounds with no exercise. I started excercising at the beginning of March at least 4 days a week. I do an hour of cardio each time and full body weights 2 days a week. My weight loss has slowed down quite a bit. It was suggested to increase my calorie intake to around 1200. MFP says 1400 and I see comments where others with the sleeve are at or around 1000 give or take a couple hundred calories. I have no idea where I should be striving to hit. I do know I would like to lose between 10 to 15 pounds a month. I'm 5'7'' and 40 years old. Any suggestions?

Replies

• thin2be2013
    thin2be2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My surgeon had me at 800-1000 calories a day during the losing phase...and if I went over I just simply did not lose weight. But I am also not a dedicated exerciser , so that may be why he had my count so low. After my first 6 months I lost 5-8 pounds a month.... may seem slow but I did finally hit my 126 pound loss goal.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Your rate of loss is excellent! You are getting in a lot of exercise, too- which is terrific! Ongoing weight loss/calorie needs can shift during the process. What I have tried to do is mix it up to keep my body guessing-- I have lower calorie days (850-1000) and higher days (I have gone as high as 1800 on occasion). I also mix up what I eat- mostly low carb and then every once in awhile I will have a "splurge" day. Some people cannot have a "splurge" day because they struggle to get back on track, but that has not been the case for me. I do not make a habit of "eating back" my exercise calories. MFP recommends eatingback no more than half of your exercise calories. Further, it is my belief not all cals. are equal-- more protein and fewer carbs keeps me full, fueled, and historically kept my rate of loss steady. Also, it is important to keep in mind that after the first six months, the rate of loss can slow significantly.

It helped me to keep in mind that the habits I was forming would take time to "stick"- so the longer it took me to lose, the more likely the habits would become a part of my lifestyle. Still, it can be frustrating to work so hard and not see big losses. I really get that part. I lost steadily througout the process, but when my loss slowed, I reminded myself I NEVER in all of my "diet history" lost more than even a pound a week consistently, so to expect 10-15 pounds a month might be a bit much.

Keep taking good care of you- eat well, move your bod and enjoy your life! :)
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ditto what Thaeda said, and your weight loss expectations are too optimistic it your stage.

Randy
  • georgiegirlma72
    georgiegirlma72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also remember, muscle weighs more than fat so if you have started working out you may be losing inches instead of pounds which is just as great! Keep up the good work, you're doing wonderful.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am only a little over 3 months out but I am eating 1000 -1300 calories but I workout hard. You need to power those workouts. Increase your calories on the days that you work out and keep lower on the other days. When you start a workout routine (esp lifting) you will add extra weight due to fluid. Your muscles need to heal and will store more glycogen. If you were eating low and not exercising, you probably lost more muscle than you think. It will take some time to rev that metabolism back up but the weight lifting will do that but you need to bump up the calories or you will be just preserving the muscle with little to no muscle gain.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting in at least 80 oz of water in a day and at least 80 grams of protein in also. This makes a difference. I averaged about 10 pounds a month I lost after my sleeve surgery in June 2012. The smaller I got, the slower the weight came off. If you are burning up alot of calories from your exercise, you should add more cals in. I was told if I exercised 30 min or more a day to be at around 1200 a day in calories.

Everyone is different and looses weight differently after wls. You can't compare yourself to anyone else. If you lost a good amount of weight before the WLS that will also effect how fast and how much you loose post op too!

Congrats on your success so far! Keep up the good work!!!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Also, more than 10 pounds a month is kinda high I think for sleeve post op. Just my opinion though. 10 a month is a good amount but we all go through stalls through that loosing period. Your body gets used to it, so as others have said you have to mix it up some to keep your body guessing.
    Good luck!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you are a female. Your BMR is 2000 calories. subtract the 1200 you eat and you get 800. divide a lb of fat at 3500 by 800 and you get 4.3 days per lost lb. 30 days divided by 4.3 equals 7 lbs per month. 500 cal burn for each workout x 6 adds 0.85 lb lost per week which is 3.42 lb per month. This totals 10.42 lb a month wt loss. I would consider this a good baseline. you have been averaging 12.5 lbs per month. I was 43 and 5'5" and had to stay under 900 to lose anything at all. I am normal wt for ht now at almost 46 yrs old and eat 1350 calories per day to stay at 146-150lbs. That formula was kinda how I judged if I was on track for a female my age, wt and ht.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Manogpickle> What is that formula you are using?

I also concur with Thaeda!
  • jsadqi
    jsadqi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    Your rate of loss is excellent! You are getting in a lot of exercise, too- which is terrific! Ongoing weight loss/calorie needs can shift during the process. What I have tried to do is mix it up to keep my body guessing-- I have lower calorie days (850-1000) and higher days (I have gone as high as 1800 on occasion). I also mix up what I eat- mostly low carb and then every once in awhile I will have a "splurge" day. Some people cannot have a "splurge" day because they struggle to get back on track, but that has not been the case for me. I do not make a habit of "eating back" my exercise calories. MFP recommends eatingback no more than half of your exercise calories. Further, it is my belief not all cals. are equal-- more protein and fewer carbs keeps me full, fueled, and historically kept my rate of loss steady. Also, it is important to keep in mind that after the first six months, the rate of loss can slow significantly.

It helped me to keep in mind that the habits I was forming would take time to "stick"- so the longer it took me to lose, the more likely the habits would become a part of my lifestyle. Still, it can be frustrating to work so hard and not see big losses. I really get that part. I lost steadily througout the process, but when my loss slowed, I reminded myself I NEVER in all of my "diet history" lost more than even a pound a week consistently, so to expect 10-15 pounds a month might be a bit much.

Keep taking good care of you- eat well, move your bod and enjoy your life! :)

Thank you for your input. Helps me put things in perspective.