30k steps..... while I slept? HELP!

Options
literique
literique Posts: 85 Member
Woke up to 30k steps for today already. Fitbit was on nightstand. It also added quite a few steps for yesterday night (while sleeping).

1. How do I delete these so I can start over my day?????

2. Why did this happen? What can I do to prevent this from happening again? Fitbit was on nightstand.... it was in front of my huge fan I sleep with... slight vibrations? Could that have done it?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The usual recommendation on the FitBit support boards is to enter an "driving" activity for that time period, which will negate the steps.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    What kind of Fitbit do you have? I'm thinking the Fitbit boards will be more helpful, though.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    It pretty much had to be the fan. You could test it by putting it on the nightstand again, with the fan on, and check to see if it is counting steps.

Assuming it is the fan, the solution for the future is to not put the FitBit where the vibrations can affect it.
  • literique
    Options
    I have a flex. Thanks I will check if it was fan by watching steps while it's on fan.

Can you add driving on app? I dont see where to do so on app. Or does it have to be done on a computer?

Thanks everyone
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Unless it bothers you to sleep with the Flex on your wrist, why not keep it on? I find it helpful (or at least interesting) to track my sleep.
  • literique
    Options
    i have added driving as an activity and it has not negated my steps. o.O

yesterday was my first day wearing my fitbit and my wrist was a little irritated, thats why i took it off
  • literique
    Options
    ok i was able to get it to negate my steps, but it still is saying ive burned 1700 calories today. day 2 and already frustrated
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    literique wrote: »
    ok i was able to get it to negate my steps, but it still is saying ive burned 1700 calories today. day 2 and already frustrated

That could be a completely valid number. It's 2 pm here and I've had a relatively inactive day (for me) and I've burned 1430 calories (giving me 402 "exercise" calories in MFP). Whether your number is valid, or still messed up because of the extra steps depends on a number of questions: How active have you been? At what time did it say 1700 calories? I would expect that 30k actual steps would result in a lot more calories than that.

Find a new place to put your FitBit tonight and try it again tomorrow. In the meantime, read the FAQ written by heybales in the stickies for the group. There's lots of good information there.

Also, give it time. Learning how to use a new device is frequently frustrating. I think it would be more unusual if you weren't somewhat frustrated and/or confused on day 2 of using a FitBit.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Fitbit calculates calories burned total, which includes RMR based on your height/weight. So let's say you had 0 steps... you still burned calories simply because you're alive.
  • literique
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and patience with my learning curve!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think the more important question hasn't been asked.

When you sleep walk that much, how many trips to get and eat food was that, and was the food logged while asleep?
    :p
  • literique
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I think the more important question hasn't been asked.

When you sleep walk that much, how many trips to get and eat food was that, and was the food logged while asleep?
    :p

Haha I wonder if someone has discovered they sleepwalk via their Fitbit steps