motivation

Options
Ladies, I have turned to mfp for hopes of extra motivation to keep myself going. I have a lot of weight to lose, and with PCOS we know that's a little harder. I myself have switched to low carb high fat. I am loosing weight on this woe but my motivation is slowing and as a result I am sadly making not so healthy choices. My husband and I have been TTC for a couple years now with no luck. So I turn to my cysters in hopes of maybe I am not the only one struggling like this :/ feel free to add me and maybe we can keep each other motivated!

Replies

• IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Motivation is an ongoing struggle with PCOS unfortunately. The hormone fluctations alone can really mess with the mind, not to mention cravings and fatigue, both physical and mental.

The mantra I've adopted is "motivation comes from action, not the other way around." I have a "To Do List" that I check off everyday (literally, I have a list on my iPhone in reminders to keep myself on track) that includes taking my supplements and meds, drinking 8-10 cups of water, doing a physical activity everyday, staying within my macro/calorie goals, and getting a good night's sleep. If I know I've done what needs to be done I know progress will follow, and the more progress I make, the more motivation I have to keep going...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Motivation is an ongoing struggle with PCOS unfortunately. The hormone fluctations alone can really mess with the mind, not to mention cravings and fatigue, both physical and mental.

The mantra I've adopted is "motivation comes from action, not the other way around." I have a "To Do List" that I check off everyday (literally, I have a list on my iPhone in reminders to keep myself on track) that includes taking my supplements and meds, drinking 8-10 cups of water, doing a physical activity everyday, staying within my macro/calorie goals, and getting a good night's sleep. If I know I've done what needs to be done I know progress will follow, and the more progress I make, the more motivation I have to keep going...

:thumbsup:

I also do LCHF, and my path has seriously been a lesson in non-scale motivation. Thankfully, LCHF has largely become a habit at this point, and it will eventually get that way for you. Just keep making the decision to choose the eggs, bacon, hamburger, green salad, etc. over the bagels and donuts, and it will eventually become second nature to you.

Don't think just about your weight. Think also about how you feel. I know I feel less bloated, my skin is clearer, my mood, weight, and energy are more stable, and more, when I stick to my way of eating. That alone has become enough motivation to keep going with it as a base and to tweak from there in order to lose weight.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @bellalavita717‌ Motivation is fickle, passing, and will fade. Determination, planted firmly while you are motivated, will carry you through. And additional motivation will follow. As the ladies above said, you'll have to force yourself through sometimes and find other things to celebrate.

I personally suffered through more than a decade of secondary infertility after years of primary infertility, and each is just as miserable as the other, though personally, I think the secondary infertility was worse for me. If you're broken, it sucks, your life is over, etc. However, it because entirely more of a personal sense of utter failure when you know you somehow overcame once, but now you feel broken beyond repair because you cannot repeat your previous success. It know that sounds weird for those deep in the despair of primary infertility, but as a sufferer of both the former and latter, knowing you succeeded before amplifies the secondary failure...

I wrote a blog here about my journey of discovery with Motivation vs. Determination after a friend shared something related. Mostly, you will likely need to do some really deep soul searching, acceptance, forgiveness, and self-love before you can truly find the deep motivated determination that will carry you forward. I wish you the absolute best of luck...
  • leeshaah
    leeshaah Posts: 13
    Options
    As someone who got pregnant totally by accident after going low carb, IT IS POSSIBLE. I was diagnosed with pcos at age 11. I never used protection and I NEVER got pregnant. I thought I was broken. I actually got to a point where it was really upsetting me. I never had planned on having children, but I was engaged and I knew that he wanted children. I felt terrible, we were talking about adoption. I'll spare you the details of HOW I got pregnant, but I know it was because I had been low carbing. I had done low carb in the past but I wasn't dating anyone at the time that I did it.

This time I'm planning on sticking to it for a longer period of time so I can drop more of the weight. I've just now gotten back down to the weight i was before I got pregnant with my youngest (they were born less than a year apart. losing that weight was near impossible) and I have no intentions of quitting now. I have a long way to go, but every little bit counts. Don't give up. You have to believe in yourself and believe that it's possible for you.
  • bellalavita717
    bellalavita717 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ladies, all of your words of inspiration and encouragement is more than amazing! I thank each one of you for sharing your struggles and your successes. And I have read and re-read what each of you have said and have taken it all to heart. I refuse to let PCOS beat me, I will win! Thank you again.
  • rowclic
    rowclic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I made myself a motivation board and hung it in my home office. I have pictures of outfits that I want to eventually wear, activities that I want to do (ie - paddle boarding) and motivational sayings that I like! (My new favorite - "What seems impossible today will one day become your warm up" - with a picture of a girl doing push ups).
    I also have a calendar/chart that shows my weekly weight target so I can visualize where I should be and when I'm falling short.
    Hope that helps!
  • ShieldMaidenLeah
    ShieldMaidenLeah Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have PCOS and my husband and I tried for a long time to get pregnant with our first. We eventually stopped trying and I had started eating healthier and lost about 20lbs. A month later I found out I was pregnant with our daughter. That was in 2007. In 2009 I had just come off birth control because I couldn't afford it anymore. My husband and I had sex once and got pregnant with our son. The doctor explained to me that it was because I had just come off birth control and everything was still regular. I was completely shocked and not expecting to get pregnant. I have to stay on birth control just to get a period every month. When I am off it I will skip any where from three months to six months with no period.

So losing weight will certainly help your fertility it did with me and coming off a birth control.

I have dealt with PCOS since I was 12. The rollercoaster ride of this has been intense from weight gain to facial hair growth to my hair falling out. It has been very frustrating.