Confused

Options
MLLeFever
MLLeFever Posts: 25 Member
Yesterday my calories were at 1,950 kcal to lose 1 lb a week. In the last week I've synced my fitbit charge hr, it didn't change my calories, it just gave me exercise calories. I went to look at my calories today and it's jumped from 1,950 to 2,440! It's also wanting me to eat like 200 grams of protein. . . I don't understand what's happened. I went to update my goals and it didn't change anything.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), aka your maintenance calories. Your MFP calorie goal is your activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your MFP activity level.

MFP adjusts your macros to include your adjustments. The default protein goal is 20% of your calories.

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings and eat back your adjustments for several weeks. Then reevaluate your progress.
  • MLLeFever
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks. I've enabled it and I'll try eating a bit more. I've been on a restricted calorie intake, so I'm trying to slowly increase my intake again. Basically I slipped back into old habits, which I know better...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Food is fuel. We should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.

Your Fitbit burn is the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. If you eat at a reasonable from that, you will lose weight.
  • lezlie21
    lezlie21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am confused too. I have the flex. Its saying I am over budget, 1243 calories in --1838 calories out and 75 left in budget. Is there somewhere where it actually explains in detail what all this stuff is? I found nothing, not even in fitbit site.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    lezlie21 wrote: »
    I am confused too. I have the flex. Its saying I am over budget, 1243 calories in --1838 calories out and 75 left in budget. Is there somewhere where it actually explains in detail what all this stuff is? I found nothing, not even in fitbit site.

I ignore Fitbit's calorie goal—I even took that panel off my dashboard.

Follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your adjustments. Enable negative calorie adjustments. (See the link I posted above.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lezlie21 wrote: »

Ditto's to ignoring their goal - you really don't want to follow 2 roads to the same destination - confusion is result as you got.

But so you know.
    You burned, or were calculated to burn for the day (depending on tile and a Fitbit setting) - 1838.
    You selected a 500 cal deficit for 1 lb weekly loss.
    1838 - 500 = 1338 eating goal.

You ate 1243 so far.

1338 - 1243 = 95 (sure it said 75?) left to eat to meet goal.

This is basically the same thing MFP is going to do, tell you how much left to reach eating goal, which is a deficit from what you burned.

But MFP throws the net and exercise thing in there and makes it a tad more confusing, and different depending on where you look.
  • MLLeFever
    Options
    I figured out the problem. Apparently at some point it reset to maintain weight. I haven't messed with my goals in a couple weeks, so no idea how it happened. I set it back to 1lb a week and my calories went back down to 1,950.