type 1 diabetes blog!!

Options
brookejoness1
brookejoness1 Posts: 8
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Visit my blog and stay tuned for more! Notdiabetic.blogspot.com
This is my blog! I originally started it for a school assignment. But I think I want to grow it, and have it be a place I can go to with my concerns and thoughts. I want you to please visit it, read it, follow me, and comment with your thoughts and stories!

Thanks!!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OK, But this is really confusing... are you a diabetic or not?
  • vickicutshall
    vickicutshall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not an absolute stickler about this, but I bet Brooke's going to tell us she doesn't espouse the term "diabetic" but rather "I have diabetes" or "this person with diabetes." Human being first; diabetes added on.
    I'm super careful about this in my practice, I must confess, since the term is sensitive. It's not like other people are introduced saying, "This is Jane. She's a cardiac...or she's a cancer." Just so, being called a "diabetic" in an era where so many stigmas (and lack of knowledge) are attached to that term, can be hampering for us. I tend to call it "my diabetes" or "your diabetes" rather than, "as a diabetic, you will..."
    Am I anywhere close, Brooke?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying with the "person first" language, but it is also wrong if stated that way. There is a difference between saying "I don't like to call myself a diabetic" and saying "I am not a diabetic."

The word diabetic has both denotative and connotative definitions... one cannot ignore the denotative definition simply because they don't like the connotative definition.

I also usually say "I have diabetes," but I won't ever say "I am not a diabetic." Because I am... I just prefer to say the same thing in a different way.
  • 1953Barbara
    1953Barbara Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused by the blog's name. If you want to attract diabetics to your blog, I'd suggest renaming it. I'm a Type 1 diabetic, and would be interested in a T1D blog. Resources and support for T2D's is more readily available, it seems. Good luck!
  • suehealy61
    suehealy61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Brooke, I love the intent to start a conversation, but you are MIA so far. I would not tell people that I had diabetes, only the ones that needed to know, teachers, supervisors, etc. I was ashamed of it and just wanted to blend in. I loved the previous blog on the frustrations T1D's get trying to explain diabetes. Thats probably why I don't usually talk about it. This is actually my first written conversation and I have been T1 for 40 yrs. Thanks!