Issues with food

Options
mae7365
mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
I had VSG surgery on November 12, 2014 and I've lost over 56 pounds in the last 4.5 months. I have an unusual problem that I'm hoping someone has experienced and can give me some advice. For the first 10-12 weeks post op, I was nauseated and vomited frequently. It started almost immediately after moving from liquid to solid foods. Since then, I get most of my calories and protein from Syntrax Matrix protein shakes and Quest protein bars. When I eat real food, I can eat very little before I get that uncomfortable feeling that signals I need to stop. My husband claims I eat "less than a bird". My nutritionists at support group suggested that it might be fear from my weeks of getting sick after eating. I don't conscientiously feel afraid when I eat, but I guess it could be subconscious.

Of course, comfort foods such as crackers and cookies don't bother me in the least! I just had my 4 month appointment with my surgeon and all my labs are great and he declared me "healthy". All my pre-op health issues are gone (high BP, sleep apnea, high glucose/A1C). I'm more than happy to continue this weight loss journey on protein shakes and protein bars, but I'm hoping that one day I will be able to eat more than a few bites off my dinner plate.

My NUT keeps telling me everything eventually goes back to normal after 9-12 months. Has anyone experienced this and does it eventually go away?

Replies

• juneaubug
    juneaubug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never had the vomiting that you are talking about, but I do remember having a hard time transitioning to solid foods. It was so hard to eat in the beginning, and I couldn't eat very much at all (not even a whole egg). But you should keep trying - I think it's good to get used to eating real food, and then just supplement where you need it, as opposed to just using supplements. Just make sure you chew everything really well and eat very slowly. It does get easier!!

I'm 18 months out and feel like I can eat much more now. But part of that is you get used to your new normal. I still can't put away a ton of protein, but I usually eat about 3oz plus some vegetable at a meal. And it depends on the protein also - I feel like I can eat a little more of a softer protein like fish than I can chicken breast.

Hang in there - 4 months is still pretty early and you're probably still healing! Sounds like you've made some great progress!!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hey Surgery Sister, I also had surgery on Nov. 12, 2014. That is neat.
    I still struggle with fruits and vegetables. Of course we are always to eat our protein too.
    Your weight loss is great. I am down 43 but lost 47 before surgery.
    I had to tread very carefully with certain foods and still don't eat a lot of carbs (bread, pasta, rice, bread). I do have crackers sometimes but I don't think I should buy them anymore as they are a trigger food for me.
    As far as being nauseated it has only happened to me a few times in the first few months. Sometimes if I drink too much water I have to excuse myself to the bathroom and spit some of it out.
    Hang in there. I'm sure things will get better for you over the next few months.
    Nice to know that we had surgery on the same day. :)