Is Anyone Else Having A Lonely Easter?

Options
relentless2121
relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
This forum has helped me tremendously in my pre-op and post-op VSG surgery in November.
For those of us that have already had our surgery we know how much our relationship with food changes, and although we can make poor choices, we cannot eat to the capacity we used to to escape pain & wanting to numb ourselves. At least that is my take on it.

My surgery was Nov. 12 & I lost my mom in Sept. It has been a lot to process in a few short months & I'm still working on it. (we are all a work in progress). lol.
This is my first Easter without any parents & it feels very lonely. I lost my dad when I was 14 but still miss him dearly. Although I have two sisters, I'll spare you the details but putting it mildly,
I come from a very dysfunctional family. I am in recovery but my sisters are not and without mom to hold the family together we are getting more and more distant from each other. I know that I am not alone here and that we all have reasons and issues for why we turned to food. I am not putting you all in that category so I apologize if I have offended anyone.

I do not have any plans for an Easter celebration or gathering this year with my birth family & it feels very lonely. I belong to two fellowships and plan to take in some extra meetings over the weekend & take in a church service.

I hesitated whether to start this thread as I don't want to seem like a "Debbie Downer." lol.
I doubt that I'm alone struggling with this situation so I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone else might be going through similar struggles.

My faith will help me get through this as well as my brothers and sisters in my fellowships and my MPF VSG family.

WISHING YOU ALL A GREAT EASTER WEEKEND (OR WHATEVER YOU MIGHT CELEBRATE).
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you will be alone this holiday weekend. Perhaps you could find an easter meal being offered by a church or shelter and volunteer to help others? You will have others to share the holiday and do something to warm your soul as well.

Enjoy the church service and know you are with all of us in spirit.

Rob
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your Mom will not be with you this Easter. It sounds like you have a good plan. And what a thoughtful post from Rob. Easter has always seemed like a time for fresh beginnings and renewed hope for the future. Sending you warm thoughts.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Try to remember the meaning of Easter and find Joy. Find a local Church, call the office today and see if they need help with an Easter meal. Every journey starts with a single step.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We can't choose our family, but we can our friend's. Treat yourself this holiday to something special. Maybe a Sunday brunch or a movie.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't have much family. It's just me, my husband and my kids and we aren't religious, so holidays went by the wayside long ago. I forgot tomorrow is Easter. Do I miss it? Not really. Holidays are manmade inventions and the traditions that go along with them are products of the culture. There's no policing force out there to see if you are meeting the requirements of any holiday. So this is about redefining how you want to live. I am sorry for your losses. If you want to mark the day in some way, spend it remembering the nice things your Mom and Dad did for you on this holiday. Decide in your heart what really matters to you - the religious observance, or the memories of family gatherings? Then process it and move on. Make your own new traditions for the day, or just forget it is there and enjoy being able to shop or go places without crowds because everybody else is eating lamb. You are the person who decides how you are going to feel or react to these instances. Hugs.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your encouraging words. I really appreciate it. I am blessed to have a lot of friends. Friends and faith are the focus on Easter for me. It is a challenging one that is for sure, but it is when we are going through difficult times that we grow the most. Thanks to all who shared. :)
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Missing dear ones at the holidays hurts. My only suggestion is maybe you could connect with a fellowship friend or two for your own celebration of sorts? Hugs to u!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    HUGS! Happy Easter!
    I hope your day is going well, and you are with friends <3

I am considering this a "quiet Easter" instead of lonely. I'm hanging out with my kitten today :smile:

My kids are all away (daughter is at school across the country, and both my boys decided to go to my moms house 4 hours away) My husbands mom is here (she's in the back yard in her 5th wheel, and she doesn't celebrate Easter, hubby is out visiting her)
    I am going to go shopping :smile: and enjoy the "Me time"