Post VSG looking for support and motivation

Options
Skrymmorie
Skrymmorie Posts: 30 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Hi, my name is Frances. I've been overweight pretty much all my life. I tried a lot of dieting over the years, sometimes with my mom, sometimes on my own, or alongside friends, but I could never hit the weight loss goals I wanted, and would eventually become demotivated and gain any loss back, and then some. In July 2014, I had VSG after playing with the idea for years, and having a few friends undergo WLS and see positive results. I finally made the decision because I hit 430 lbs at 28 yrs old. I managed to lose 19 lbs prior to surgery, making me 411 lbs, but since surgery, now 7 months out, I still have only managed a grand total of weight loss of about 65 lbs, including my pre-op loss. I lost my dad 3 months after surgery, and he was my biggest supporter in my weight loss, and then in December, I got engaged. I lost my motivation last year after my dad died, and have been trying to get it back. I am going to start tracking my eating on MFP again, but I don't generally eat much anyway. I know my biggest hurdle to overcome is to get active. I feel like my body has accommodated my decreased calorie intake by just slowing my calorie burn, and I need to get in gear to up my expenditure ( my doctor and nutritionist concur). I'm hoping joining this group will help motivate me to work out more, and get back in the mindset that led me to getting surgery in the first place. I currently just want to get under 300 lbs, which I haven't seen since probably high school. If I can get there, then I know I can keep going.

Replies

• dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances, welcome! I had my VSG June 24, 2014, so we are pretty close in dates.
    I am sorry to hear about your dad. My father in law passed away in December. It's rough. Hard to stay on track while dealing with that.
    Congratulations on your engagement!
    You can totally reach your goals! Just take baby steps, and work at it one day at a time! You WILL get there!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances, I think you're done remarkably well in losing the weight you have. Particularly after your Dad passing away.I know how that feels. Mine passed away almost 4 years ago and I still have a hard time with it.

You are right though, even though you don't eat much, it's the eating the correct balance in 5-6 small meals a day always with protein first. You also have to get your water in and not drink with meals. For me, this was the hardest - the right balance and no drinking with meals. I think I've drank with meals since I started eating food as a baby.

On the bright side, you've had the surgery so you have the tools, written guidelines and access to your weight loss team to help get you back on track. Congratulations on your engagement. That could be a motivator (being able to look and feel so good in your wedding dress). I hope you don't cry (I kind if am), but think how proud your Dad would be for you. He would want you to be happy with yourself, succeed in your weight loss journey and be so much more healthy than you probably are at this point.

After so much thought I know you didn't make this surgical decision lightly, and I know you can be a Success Story if you really put your mind to it. As far as exercise, you will lose more weight if you do, but do what you're able.Like dsjsmom23 said above, Baby steps. Soon you'll do more and more as you feel more energetic. I would not be where I am today without the support of my weight loss team and my MFP friends. Every so often I have my nutritionist go in and make any changes to my breakdown areas and daily caloric intake to ensure I'm at the right levels for my body, age and chemistry makeup.

I had my surgery February 5th of 2014 and am so glad I finally had it. Some of my health problems, especially my lungs circulation have vastly improved. Not to mention my general outlook on life and enjoyment if it. YOU CAN AND WILL ACCOMPLISH YOUR GOAL!!!!

Take Care.
  • Ashes1913
    Ashes1913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Frances! No worries you are not alone. I had VSG in March of 2014 and have lost about 68 lbs. I lost 2 grandparents and an uncle in less than 6 months. It can be very overwhelming and easy to lose sight of the goal with all of the daily fires we have to put out. You and I have so much in common. We think we've had the procedure this should be so much easier. Still life happens. We can and will be successful. Know that we are always here to motivate and most importantly support. Keep up the good work!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances. So sorry about the loss of your father. For me it was debilitating. You are a champ in seeing the need for help and working to recover.

You don't need to exercise right now to lose weight. That will come later as it becomes easier to do.

What you do need to do is eat the right KINDS of food. If someone eats 600 calories of junk food, they will be unsuccessful. But if they use their 600 calories per day to eat ONLY nutritional food, they will learn how to eat right, develop good eating habits, have the energy they need, and learn to not need the other stuff eventually.

Like Harm said above, talk to your team, follow their guidelines, drink your water between meals. Get lots of protein. Take your vitamins. Going to a local support group helps too. Your doctor can refer you.

Goodluck!

Paula (I had VSG June 2013 and have lost 175#)
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances, take a breath and forgive yourself. You have faced an enormous loss and you are grieving. It is OK to grieve and to feel all of your feelings. That said, start real slow. Maybe just begin tracking your water intake. When you start feeling good about how much fluid you are taking in move another small step to taking a slow walk around the neighborhood. One step at a time. Your tool is working, don't be afraid to trust it. I was sleeved almost 16 months ago. I have maintained my weight loss, but I am noticing a small gain. I am doing everything I just recommended to you. Starting with coming back to MFP to track everything. Good luck my dear and remember to be gentle with yourself!